2019 Draft

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Drafting Byram also gives Bowman the flexibility to flip Gus when his value will never be higher and when the Hawks really don’t need him long-term. At a cap hit of basically nothing, there is no reason why the Hawks can’t get another 1st rounder plus from a cap strapped team for Gus. Toronto comes to mind where they need inexpensive players while their cap is busted.
Don't know if you trade Gus.

He's elite on the PP. I mean, he's the main reason why the PP turned into such a huge success. His "look for a shot, nope, pass to Kaner" method turned alot of heads this year. He's pretty much a lock now. The time to trade him was this year.

Right now, I think it's Byram. But the Russian is looking more and more like a Bowman pick. Stan likes great skaters with high hockey IQ, those two check both boxes.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
If we go with Byram we could put him with Seabrookzival to start as his 200ft game and speed could carry that pair. Let's face it Seabrookzival is going nowhere. Our D pairings could be without any other moves as

Keith Gus
Byram Seabrookzival
Joker Murphy
Forsling and Dahlstrom as the 7

Add in that we would have in the pipeline, and anyone of these guys if ready could push Joker or Murphy.

Mitchell
Kyrs
Boqvist
Beaudin

This would allow us to upgrade the Forward via F/A, or trades. Everything aboot Byram screams 200ft 2 way D-man with elite skating, and IQ.
I like the way you are thinking....

But, creating a "Shut down" pairing of Byram and Murphy would push the Hawks so much better, IMO.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
For me it's a no brainer to take the D man
It would be, but you did that the past three first round picks. Are you moving those guys for forwards or a goalie? I mean, you have 5 slated, Keith, Broke, Gus, Murphy, Dahlstrom, three that should be here before this pick gets here, and this guy showing up when Murphys deal expires.

You take a left wing and his chances of immediate impact has a spot on this team.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
It would be, but you did that the past three first round picks. Are you moving those guys for forwards or a goalie? I mean, you have 5 slated, Keith, Broke, Gus, Murphy, Dahlstrom, three that should be here before this pick gets here, and this guy showing up when Murphys deal expires.

You take a left wing and his chances of immediate impact has a spot on this team.
The thing with that is, Byram is better then all the kids the Hawks have drafted the last few drafts. Alot better.

Byram is as close to a plug and play as there is in this draft outside of Kakko. IMO, if he came out last year, he would have been the second D off the board after Dahlin.

But again , the Hawks have such a logjam on D. Forsling and Dahl wernt bad together towards the end, I like KooKoos upside, plus all the prospects. It's an interesting time for the Hawks to be sure.

Turcotte is a local kid, and Stan loves drafting local kids. And I'm telling you all, don't count out the Russian. He's a legit game breaker who could be the best player from this draft.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For me it's a no brainer to take the D man

In the NFL, no question. But here you usually don't have kids step right in and play in Chicago. It's a pretty good bet whoever they draft will need some grooming before hitting the parent club. If they are thinking of making another run with Crawford, Kane, Toews and Keith....they need the dmen they've been drafting the last few years to be ready....right now. So really, the door is open for them to draft the best player at #3 and not be position oriented.

BTW, this is a very good example on why tanking (which I recommended they do) is NOT always a solution. The Hawks were able to make a mad dash for the playoffs and still get as high of a draft position as they would have by bailing out the last 30 games.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
If we go with Byram we could put him with Seabrookzival to start as his 200ft game and speed could carry that pair. Let's face it Seabrookzival is going nowhere. Our D pairings could be without any other moves as

Keith Gus
Byram Seabrookzival
Joker Murphy
Forsling and Dahlstrom as the 7

Add in that we would have in the pipeline, and anyone of these guys if ready could push Joker or Murphy.

Mitchell
Kyrs
Boqvist
Beaudin

This would allow us to upgrade the Forward via F/A, or trades. Everything aboot Byram screams 200ft 2 way D-man with elite skating, and IQ.

There is a small chance Seabrook could end up in Florida with Tallon and Q. Q will want some of his guys undoubtedly. The question is what will it cost the Hawks. I’d eat up to 1.8 million per year of Seabs’ deal to move him. You will have to take back a junk contract in addition, but that contract will expire way sooner.

More likely though I can see Saad being moved to Florida. On the Hawks, he’s a third liner making 6 million. That’s not a good use of cap dollars the same goes to Anisimov. 10 million tied up in 3rd line players is a big reason why the Hawks are where they are.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Yeah but we have to think like bowman. You know that mofo wants the Russian lol

The Hawks’ track record with drafting Russians is abysmal. Name one Russian that was part of the Cup runs. You can’t because there weren’t any. Panarin was a good find, but they traded him two years before he was to become a free agent. That should tell you a lot.

There is also the risk the Russian never even comes over to the NHL. Byram Bowen is the better player and plays a way more valuable position in the NHL currently. The only other guys I take over him at 3 are Hughes and Kakko.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I think the master plan is to draft the russian, then sign Panarin back after about 15 million heads down to florida.

Lets see how Artemi does this playoff series (dont think they will have a run)

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Bowman is going to take which ever player he thinks he can have the longest term control over his contract....

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Only if he thinks he's a vet now. Q only loves vets.
If its Dale and Florida, yeah, he will probably go around collecting the players he felt Bowman screwed up on letting go. Maybe there will be more deals with Arizona than the hawks.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The Hawks’ track record with drafting Russians is abysmal. Name one Russian that was part of the Cup runs. You can’t because there weren’t any. Panarin was a good find, but they traded him two years before he was to become a free agent. That should tell you a lot.

There is also the risk the Russian never even comes over to the NHL. Byram Bowen is the better player and plays a way more valuable position in the NHL currently. The only other guys I take over him at 3 are Hughes and Kakko.

Email bowman I’m not the gm. My favorite picks are Byram and Turcotte

KBIB

Liked Posts:

The Hawks were never in a position to draft a dominant Russian

During the Cup runs, the Hawks wernt in a position to draft top three, with one of the top players being Russian.

They traded Panarin only because of cost certainty and having Saad under contract for longer then they could afford Bread. It's why they gave away Hammer too.

Of course, their expectations were a little off on both, but the wheels came completely off as a team. I agree with you on Byram, he makes the Hawks a better team moving forward and I have no doubt he plays in the NHL next year.

But.....
If the Russian WILL come over, and they can get him out his contract, I'd really think about drafting him. He is just as talented as the top two, a better two way player then Kakko, and he brings something the Hawks don't have- aggression.

Podkolzin and Saad on a line forechecking would be a nightmare for any team. Hell, a Saad/AA/Pod line would bring such a different dynamic to the Hawks.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The Hawks were never in a position to draft a dominant Russian
During the Cup runs, the Hawks wernt in a position to draft top three, with one of the top players being Russian.

They traded Panarin only because of cost certainty and having Saad under contract for longer then they could afford Bread. It's why they gave away Hammer too.

Of course, their expectations were a little off on both, but the wheels came completely off as a team. I agree with you on Byram, he makes the Hawks a better team moving forward and I have no doubt he plays in the NHL next year.

But.....
If the Russian WILL come over, and they can get him out his contract, I'd really think about drafting him. He is just as talented as the top two, a better two way player then Kakko, and he brings something the Hawks don't have- aggression.

Podkolzin and Saad on a line forechecking would be a nightmare for any team. Hell, a Saad/AA/Pod line would bring such a different dynamic to the Hawks.

They traded Panarin because he would not take a weak bridge contract. He was already on tap to get 2 million in bonus money his final year, on top of the 6 with the Hossa contract "penalty" looming. Bowman has it set in his head that the players owe him a bridge deal. Whoever does not take it, gets shipped off. Darling got an offer, he said no, he was gone. Thats a terrible reputation to have if you want to stay an elite organization. He simply mis read Hammer. He stuck with 4 million in Arizona, it only took 5 to keep him there, and he turned that entire team into a defensive minded bunch of skaters. Bowman probably guessed he expected the standard of almost 6.

Was there really enough D on this team to push Bovquist out? Kevin Hayes did not sign here because he knows the snail pace that they bring players up, regardless of talent. Saad made it, Panarin made it, Cat made it, but far too many got pushed aside. Letting Bovquist and Joker get a year of experience here sure seems to have some value.

I sure hope we are getting excited over a guy that plays here next year.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dont forget Barry Smith coached at SKA in KHL, and he helped with bringing Panarin here. Having someone with connections to the Russian players may help, and if Pod wants to play in the NHL this year have to consider drafting him. From what I have read kid has a very high ceiling and is extremely aggressive; something I would love to see on this team.

For me it's really a 4 horse race if Pod wants to come over this year I would consider moving him above Turcotte

Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Pod

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Dont forget Barry Smith coached at SKA in KHL, and he helped with bringing Panarin here. Having someone with connections to the Russian players may help, and if Pod wants to play in the NHL this year have to consider drafting him. From what I have read kid has a very high ceiling and is extremely aggressive; something I would love to see on this team.

For me it's really a 4 horse race if Pod wants to come over this year I would consider moving him above Turcotte

Byram
Turcotte
Cozens
Pod
Pods isn't coming for two years. Unless they can get him out of his contract.

And you are correct, the Barry Smith factor is real. I wonder just how much influence he has with Stan and Kelly.

Button thinks Pods is coming over, but Button is a moron.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

J. Roenick type edge?