2019 GAME 1: IGT. From Prague, Highers vs Hossa's Ghost

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Where is the speed with that pairing?
Agreed, what the hawks need is pretty simple

Keith with a speedy righty
Seabroke with a speedy lefty
Murphy with a speedy lefty.

Bowman paid 9 million dollars to find guys to block shots, and they are even slower when they get hit in the knee with pucks.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed, what the hawks need is pretty simple

Keith with a speedy righty
Seabroke with a speedy lefty
Murphy with a speedy lefty.

Bowman paid 9 million dollars to find guys to block shots, and they are even slower when they get hit in the knee with pucks.

I don't think the handedness matters as much as keeping consistency with it. When Hammer complained it was about switching back and forth, keeping track of situations and responsibility day to day with the hand changing. Find good pairings and try to keep them there and bond to each other, they will naturally adapt to compliment each others hand if they have consistency with it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this was a sloppy drunk mess

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know it's one game, but if we got a whole season of the 2018 Keith--the same Keith in which Deron Fucking Quint would be an upgrade, it's going to be a long season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know it's one game, but if we got a whole season of the 2018 Keith--the same Keith in which Deron Fucking Quint would be an upgrade, it's going to be a long season.

I missed much of last season, but its been a long time since I have been inspired by Keiths play. He lost a step and the thing was it took every ounce of magik and will and skill he had to get back in his prime and save the day by a tip of the stick. We see him show up half a stick late nowadays and that is what happens when you get old and are a step behind your old self. You think if you do this this this you will get there but you overestimate yourself just a tiche...

We just seem ignorant to the athletic limitations of people, I think playing him 25-30 minutes a night the last 2 years has been stupid given he can't perform at an elite level.

I'd just like to see what he looks like at the 20 minute mark. If I could get 20 good Keith minutes its better than watching him be a marathon runner with uninspired hockey. He has just become the ultimate grinder, but all he has left in the tank is to go out there and shuffle the puck around and chase. Its not the Keith we knew.

Why are they playing a guy in his 30's like a marathon runner?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I missed much of last season, but its been a long time since I have been inspired by Keiths play. He lost a step and the thing was it took every ounce of magik and will and skill he had to get back in his prime and save the day by a tip of the stick. We see him show up half a stick late nowadays and that is what happens when you get old and are a step behind your old self. You think if you do this this this you will get there but you overestimate yourself just a tiche...

We just seem ignorant to the athletic limitations of people, I think playing him 25-30 minutes a night the last 2 years has been stupid given he can't perform at an elite level.

I'd just like to see what he looks like at the 20 minute mark. If I could get 20 good Keith minutes its better than watching him be a marathon runner with uninspired hockey. He has just become the ultimate grinder, but all he has left in the tank is to go out there and shuffle the puck around and chase. Its not the Keith we knew.

Why are they playing a guy in his 30's like a marathon runner?
Keith was congealed buttsweat in 2018--in fact only Leddy had a worse +/- and Keith +/- was worse than the 'hawsk D-corps combined.

Last season he was decent. Not good. Decent. He played within his abilities and it helped his game. He wasn't the liability he was in 2018. You could tell he aged but he was playing within the confines.

This past game it was mental lapses galore--as in bad decisions which got him beat like he was David Runblad. His worst mistakes came before the 20 min mark.

But you do bring up a point: Keith needs his icetime managed. The problem is neither JC nor Q will let it happen--there's no one that can do it and instead of trying to balance the time, they still try to run him roughshod.

I don't know what, if anything Keith was thinking last game, but I don't think it was conditioning that caused him to look like Matthew Keith. It was brainfarts. the 2018 Crawford could cover it. Last game's Crawford looked 2012-ish.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
one more day for hockey.

Murphy and DeHaan are supposed to be ready, Murph for sure, Gilbert was shipped back to Rockford from Prague.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
one more day for hockey.

Murphy and DeHaan are supposed to be ready, Murph for sure, Gilbert was shipped back to Rockford from Prague.

Turnovers in your own zone will do that. I believe Gilbert is an exciting player with skills we used to need, but he isn't needed with Maata and Seabrook around as much(in fact adds to a team speed liability), and showed he wasn't ready for the speed of NHL yet mentally either. I expect to see him if one of the two mentioned enforcers goes down, or in a year or two.

Now he has to be better than Dahlstrom because Stan got cute, and I'm not sure that is likely but perhaps he is the stronger man with a mean streak as advertised?

My take is that they got caught minding their own business and I heard Stan specifically say he wasn't worried about waiver claims because like us other teams are more worried about their own rosters. WRONG!! STUPID!!

They wanted to reward a young player for hard work and hard play in camp and ended up losing a nearly ready 2nd round pick.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course we catch the Sharks absolutely seething at 0-4.

At this point in season playing 4 games vs 1 games seems to me a huge advantage also. We'll see what happens but trouble wouldn't surprise me and Crow is still shaky.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd expect to see

Nylander-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Kampf-Kubalik
Calliguila-Carp-Smith

Keith-Gus
Maata-Seabs
Murphy-Koekkoek

but want to see

Nylander/Jewels-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Kubalik
Saad-Dach-Shaw
Carp/Jewels-Kampf/Carp-Smith

What an opportunity to work Dach in with some veterans who have first line experience and can walk him through it. They can give him Smith or Strome/Cat for faceoff help too. that would be the other curiosity I have

Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Dach
Saad-Carp-Shaw
Jewels-Kampf-Smith

Last edited:

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd expect to see

Nylander-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Perlini
Saad-Kampf-Kubalik
Calliguila-Carp-Smith

Keith-Gus
Maata-Seabs
Murphy-Koekkoek

but want to see

Nylander/Jewels-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Kubalik
Saad-Dach-Shaw
Carp/Jewels-Kampf/Carp-Smith

What an opportunity to work Dach in with some veterans who have first line experience and can walk him through it. They can give him Smith or Strome/Cat for faceoff help too. that would be the other curiosity I have

Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-Dach
Saad-Carp-Shaw
Jewels-Kampf-Smith

He will be playing very soon. Get more pissed at that cheap shot every day. Frankly lucky he didn't get more hurt than he did

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Turnovers in your own zone will do that. I believe Gilbert is an exciting player with skills we used to need, but he isn't needed with Maata and Seabrook around as much(in fact adds to a team speed liability), and showed he wasn't ready for the speed of NHL yet mentally either. I expect to see him if one of the two mentioned enforcers goes down, or in a year or two.

Now he has to be better than Dahlstrom because Stan got cute, and I'm not sure that is likely but perhaps he is the stronger man with a mean streak as advertised?

My take is that they got caught minding their own business and I heard Stan specifically say he wasn't worried about waiver claims because like us other teams are more worried about their own rosters. WRONG!! STUPID!!

They wanted to reward a young player for hard work and hard play in camp and ended up losing a nearly ready 2nd round pick.

I figured that Gilbert was the player that was able to ride the bus from Rockford without having to clear waivers so there were more options than with Dahlstrom. I guess a better GM would have found a way to get something back in a trade. I mean, we all knew when 9million was spent that some of these yutes were not going to be around.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Of course we catch the Sharks absolutely seething at 0-4.

At this point in season playing 4 games vs 1 games seems to me a huge advantage also. We'll see what happens but trouble wouldn't surprise me and Crow is still shaky.
Just Crow? Crawford certainly wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination but Keith was a medical-waste dumpster fire last game.

And I'm all for giving Lehner the nod tonight. No reason we should be doing anything but 1a/1b this year.

You can understand Gilbert making some errors--he is a rookie after all. But Keith making the same errors and getting beat like he was the bastard lovechild of Rodney King and Reginald Denny? He should have been carrying Nylander, Kane, and Debrincat's luggage home from Prague and spending the game interval as their houseboy.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I figured that Gilbert was the player that was able to ride the bus from Rockford without having to clear waivers so there were more options than with Dahlstrom. I guess a better GM would have found a way to get something back in a trade. I mean, we all knew when 9million was spent that some of these yutes were not going to be around.
Nah, they got cute and wanted to reward a hard working player who shows grit and then looked stupid when he didn't look ready.

The Dahlstrom issue is more complicated, as its true they could have kept him and passed Gilbert through, until this week when they will have to make a decision on Dach/Nylander/Kubalik/Dahlstrom/Koekkoek anyway.

So they chose Koekkoek and 7 D-men when they did that, at least for 9 games. They may have to do something with a forward now additionally, if they want to look at Dach further it means Nylander/Kubalik/Perlini/Carp or Kampf will have to spend a couple weeks in rockford.

My guess is its Nylander since they built up his confidence and have been extra nice to him.