2019 PFF QB Rankings

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@satchice weren't you telling me that Watson is a shit passer but gets bailed out by an all star supporting cast, while Trubisky is better but doesn't have as good weapons? Seems the direct opposite is true. Watson elevates a limited supporting cast while Trubisky almost leads the league in uncatchable balls despite being set up in a good situation.

For those who will complain about this being brought up, feel free to ignore this post. It's directed specifically towards Satchice.

12. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
Watson has two excellent statistical seasons under his belt, though he’s gotten there in different ways. His rookie season saw an incredible big-time throw percentage (8.3%), but also some interception luck and garbage-time success that led to the shiny stats. Last year, he played a more consistent brand of football, going from one of the worst rates in turnover-worthy throws to 10th-best while ranking third in the NFL in the percentage of positively graded throws during the regular season. Watson’s mobility has worked both for and against him as his 60 scrambles (third-most in the NFL since 2006) led to 481 yards last season, but he was also sacked a league-high 61 times, including 14 that were directly his fault. Watson must continue his progression in the short and intermediate game while still showing off the special plays that have helped him elevate a limited supporting cast.

26. MITCHELL TRUBISKY, CHICAGO BEARS
There’s a disconnect between Trubisky’s statistical output and his throw-by-throw performance last season, and it’s a big year in his development. He had impressive moments as a rookie and a few top-notch performances last year, though his 63.6 overall grade ranked just 29th in the league despite ranking 17th in passer rating during the regular season. Trubisky went from one of the worst play-calling/playmaker situations to one of the best, and that was a big reason for his statistical success. Among the positives, Trubisky ranked 11th in big-time throw percentage and his legs were a weapon as he finished with the top rushing grade among quarterbacks at 88.2. In order to take the next step, Trubisky must improve his accuracy at 10-plus yards down the field and lower his percentage of uncatchable passes that ranked 31st out of 35 qualifiers. Trubisky is set up with another good situation offensively, but improved play on his part is crucial if the Bears are going to repeat in the NFC North.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
17th ranked passer. Must be his lack of mobility and all those negative yards he created by being a statue in the pocket that's really bringing his grade down.
:oprah2:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol at Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins as a “limited supporting cast”
Not to take anything away from Watson because he pulls it off but so many broken plays where Deshaun throws to Hopkins after he shook his defender long after the play calls for the ball to be out.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
@satchice weren't you telling me that Watson is a shit passer but gets bailed out by an all star supporting cast, while Trubisky is better but doesn't have as good weapons? Seems the direct opposite is true. Watson elevates a limited supporting cast while Trubisky almost leads the league in uncatchable balls despite being set up in a good situation.

For those who will complain about this being brought up, feel free to ignore this post. It's directed specifically towards Satchice.

12. DESHAUN WATSON, HOUSTON TEXANS
Watson has two excellent statistical seasons under his belt, though he’s gotten there in different ways. His rookie season saw an incredible big-time throw percentage (8.3%), but also some interception luck and garbage-time success that led to the shiny stats. Last year, he played a more consistent brand of football, going from one of the worst rates in turnover-worthy throws to 10th-best while ranking third in the NFL in the percentage of positively graded throws during the regular season. Watson’s mobility has worked both for and against him as his 60 scrambles (third-most in the NFL since 2006) led to 481 yards last season, but he was also sacked a league-high 61 times, including 14 that were directly his fault. Watson must continue his progression in the short and intermediate game while still showing off the special plays that have helped him elevate a limited supporting cast.

26. MITCHELL TRUBISKY, CHICAGO BEARS
There’s a disconnect between Trubisky’s statistical output and his throw-by-throw performance last season, and it’s a big year in his development. He had impressive moments as a rookie and a few top-notch performances last year, though his 63.6 overall grade ranked just 29th in the league despite ranking 17th in passer rating during the regular season. Trubisky went from one of the worst play-calling/playmaker situations to one of the best, and that was a big reason for his statistical success. Among the positives, Trubisky ranked 11th in big-time throw percentage and his legs were a weapon as he finished with the top rushing grade among quarterbacks at 88.2. In order to take the next step, Trubisky must improve his accuracy at 10-plus yards down the field and lower his percentage of uncatchable passes that ranked 31st out of 35 qualifiers. Trubisky is set up with another good situation offensively, but improved play on his part is crucial if the Bears are going to repeat in the NFC North.
Do you actually take PFF serious? I’m almost sorry for you if you do.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not to take anything away from Watson because he pulls it off but so many broken plays where Deshaun throws to Hopkins after he shook his defender long after the play calls for the ball to be out.

Its amusing that somehow PFF thinks the Bears offensive cast is somehow vastly superior to the Texans. This alone should tell anyone that PFF is clueless.

De Andre Hopkins is one of if not the best WR in the League. The Texans number 1 back Miller averaged 4.6 yards a carry last year while Howard was at 3.7.....but PFF tells us that the Bears somehow have a much better supporting cast.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Its amusing that somehow PFF thinks the Bears offensive cast is somehow vastly superior to the Texans. This alone should tell anyone that PFF is clueless.

De Andre Hopkins is one of if not the best WR in the League. The Texans number 1 back Miller averaged 4.6 yards a carry last year while Howard was at 3.7.....but PFF tells us that the Bears somehow have a much better supporting cast.
You could argue that collectively the Bears do when you factor in the whole 0 unit, but that gets muddied when you throw in some of the weapons they have on Texans for people trying to counter the point.

It really doesn't matter. Watson is a very good player that still needs to grow into a better QB, and I hope Trubisky takes another step forward and becomes a great QB.

Last edited:

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Not sure what guys like Mayfield, Darnold, Carr, Mariota, etc., did to deserve their spots ahead of Trubisky when Trubisky did significantly better than them in passer rating and winning football games in 2018.

Trubisky has a public perception problem. No matter—just keep winning.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol at Will Fuller and DeAndre Hopkins as a “limited supporting cast”

When did will fuller become some kind of elite player? If he was a Bears QB's weapon he'd be considered a warm body.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You could argue that collectively the Bears do when you factor in the whole 0 unit, but that gets muddied when you throw in some of the weapons they have on Texans for people trying to counter the point.

It really doesn't matter. Watson is a very good player that still needs to grow into a better QB, and I hope Trubisky takes another step forward and becomes better a great QB.

How could you argue that?

I don't think even Gabriel + Robinson = Hopkins

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its amusing that somehow PFF thinks the Bears offensive cast is somehow vastly superior to the Texans.

When you combine the overall group and the system/play calling, it is.

When you focus solely on Deandre Hopkins, no.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He's just one player but in a WR draft he's my #1 and even PFF has him ranked there yet Watson's supporting cast.... I said it last year, Hopkins>AR and Fuller>Gabriel. Miller at RB was not worse that what we had and our OL was also bottom 3rd last year. We're better at TE overall but it's not like we were great there either. PFF is good at certain types of stat collecting but their player rankings are the worst in almost all categories. I mean, how was Amos one of their top players when he was playing FS?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

You'll notice I didn't focus solely on Hopkins in my original post. I'll repeat the players for your continued edification.

I notice you had to throw in something as intangible as play calling to add to the mix. Cant really measure it. You can, however, measure the other players around the QBs and Hopkins, Fuller, Miller are better than Robinson, Gabriel and Howard.

Those are the players I mentioned and the top 3 guys in each offense.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

They were lacking at TE and OL but were better than us elsewhere. We got average play from our TE and shitty play from our OL so... How does playcalling hurt Watson when his coach changed the O specifically to accommodate what he does? Do you think he'd fit better with Nagy's complex quick read and timing system? I don't know he wouldn't but there's also nothing to suggest different play calling would better accommodate him than a system built specifically for him.

He's done well and it counts but he's not all things to all systems.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You'll notice I didn't focus solely on Hopkins in my original post. I'll repeat the players for your continued edification.

I notice you had to throw in something as intangible as play calling to add to the mix. Cant really measure it. You can, however, measure the other players around the QBs and Hopkins, Fuller, Miller are better than Robinson, Gabriel and Howard.

Those are the players I mentioned and the top 3 guys in each offense.

Agreed on Hopkins being better than Robinson. He's a legit top 3 receiver.

That is where the Texans advantage ends, imo. I wouldn't be in a rush to trade Miller or even Gabriel for Fuller. And I do think the system matters. Does anyone think Bill O'Brien's offense is more QB friendly than Nagy's? Me either.

And let's not even get started on the Texans OL - arguably the worst in football. This was everything when it affected the Bears in 2010 but the hardship multiplier doesn't count with non-Bears QBs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sure it does and he gets props for it but he's also made it harder for them for holding the ball so long. No one is hating on Watson here but he's being allowed excuses by PFF while Mitch is getting downgraded for his associations.

Mitch's catchers were often not on the same page in a new O and his OL kinda sucked last year yet he was dead midpack as a passer. He added a lot of 1st downs and negated sacks with his legs while adding some completions yet he's downgraded instead of it raising him on the list. Just seems very odd. There are definitely a lot of improvement available but part of any disappointment has to do with how high his ceiling could be and less with his actual results.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure it does and he gets props for it but he's also made it harder for them for holding the ball so long.

Sometimes he has to hold the ball and make plays himself when he has one go to receiver and 9 mannequins on his offensive unit. It's incredible what he does given his situation. What a guy 4 is.