2019 PFF QB Rankings

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
@bearmick
As far as Texans supporting cast vs Bears supporting cast, I think between Modo and Bearly they said everyting that I would of bought up. Texans have a better overall supporting cast on the O then the Bears hands down. The only advantage is Bears Collective O-Line and TE and neither is a huge advantage.

The only thing that is in question is the offensive playbook. I think it is impossible to make a fair comparison. You have to remember that what the Texans currently run is not O'Brien's playbook, but a dumbed down version that is tailored made to highlight Watson's strengths. Could Watson even run Nady's system? Maybe he would excel. Maybe he would be benched. I think Nagy would have to make a lot of changes and do the same as O'Brien and we would never see Nagy's playbook.

Watson is still playing the see it throw it game. That is why you see a lot of broken plays and the holding on to the ball so long. I think someone referred his play as "chuck and duck" or somekinf of backyard football. I am not sure if he can ever be a system guy. Jay had the same problem, how long were you making these same excuses for Jay?

There are articles on the awful Texans O-line. True

Fact is u never liked Watson going back to when he was drafted. You questioned if should've been a "NFL Qb". True

Tell me it's false

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You must not watch a lot of Browns football which is understandable. What Mayfield did last year was incredible. He took a losing team with a losers
mentality, and did what everyone talks about but rarely achieves. He elevated his teammates play. He broke the NFL rookie quarterback touchdown record set by Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson and he did it in only 13 games while they played all 16 .

He did all this while in the middle of the season his head coach and offense of coordinators were both fired. The way he took over the team and got the entire team to buy in was incredible. I don’t know of any other player outside of Tom Brady and Drew Breeze could’ve done that.

Baker Mayfield has everything that was hyped about Watson’s intangibles and leadership qualities plus Drew Brees’ his accuracy.

He is looking like he could be one hell of a player, but I would slow your roll on the bolded.
Yeah, he beat Wilson by 1, yeah he played 13 games. But he also had about 100 more attempts.
Manning was a rookie 20 years ago when defense was a thing.

There is a ton of great QB play in the league- lets see if he continues to stack up.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
also the same with Fine Young Cannibals.

I find both those groups distinct from say, early Duran Duran and the Human League. Both of those groups belong in New Wave....FYC and Jesus Jones do not.....

Confirmed. FYC belong in later 80s mainstream pop with the likes of the Pet Shop Boys.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are articles on the awful Texans O-line. True

Fact is u never liked Watson going back to when he was drafted. You questioned if should've been a "NFL Qb". True

Tell me it's false

He still bends over backwards to discredit anything he does. People say I hate Trubisky. I don't. I just don't think he's very good to this point. Satchice legit hates Watson.

Most Watson haters' hate comes from the media rating him highly and not Trubisky. Satchice isn't a Trubisky homer though and he was way down on Watson even before the draft. I think he's just trying to avoid conceding that his evaluation of Watson as not being an NFL starter was wrong.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Confirmed. FYC belong in later 80s mainstream pop with the likes of the Pet Shop Boys.

Pet Shop Boy seemed sort of like a bridge from new wave to 80s synth pop......New Wave was sort of a bridge from punk to 80s synth pop....

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pet Shop Boy seemed sort of like a bridge from new wave to 80s synth pop......New Wave was sort of a bridge from punk to 80s synth pop....

I would consider New Wave more a bridge from art school stuff (a cousin of a branch of punk) like Roxy Music and Talking Heads into synth pop. I think where the road forked was with the likes of the Stranglers (my favorite band mentioned in this thread so far) being the link from punk to New Wave. It all gets a bit messy though.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
In the context of which he is graded this makes sense. Mitch left more big plays out than most other qb's. This doesn't mean he was the 26th worst QB it just means that he was given more opportunities to make big plays than other QB's and missed out on them.

That just reeks of an experience issue with both the NFL and the playbook. His entire receiving core was all new as well. He could easily jump to the top ten if he just gradually improves.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
They are generally good throws. Late but on target.
A lot of not in stride passes by Watson....but it’s Hopkins fault for not being there in time.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Mitch Trubisky

Grade: B- | School: North Carolina

Focusing solely on Trubisky's on-field performance, and not the Bears' peculiar decision to give up three mid-round picks (including the one New Orleans eventually used to select Alvin Kamara) to move up one spot in the draft, the UNC quarterback has been as consistent as Chicago weather in his short pro career. His highs (see: six TD passes against the Bucs) are like that 65-degree Sunday in early March when Chicagoans lose their minds and slip on shorts and tanks while lounging on an outdoor patio with a Daisy Cutter in hand. The lows (a 110-yard, 1 TD/3 INT-victory performance against the Rams comes to mind), well, they're like the next morning, when the temp tumbles back into the 40s and folks are navigating through a sheet of sleet on their way to work. While it's easy to pummel the third-year passer for his head-scratching errant throws, he is coming off a Pro Bowl season and another summer working with Matt Nagy. And, let's not forget that he did drive the Bears down the field and into position to kick a game-winning field goal against the Eagles in the 2018 Wild Card Round. If only 43-yard boots were in his repertoire, there'd be an "A" up there.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mitch Trubisky

Grade: B- | School: North Carolina

Focusing solely on Trubisky's on-field performance, and not the Bears' peculiar decision to give up three mid-round picks (including the one New Orleans eventually used to select Alvin Kamara) to move up one spot in the draft, the UNC quarterback has been as consistent as Chicago weather in his short pro career. His highs (see: six TD passes against the Bucs) are like that 65-degree Sunday in early March when Chicagoans lose their minds and slip on shorts and tanks while lounging on an outdoor patio with a Daisy Cutter in hand. The lows (a 110-yard, 1 TD/3 INT-victory performance against the Rams comes to mind), well, they're like the next morning, when the temp tumbles back into the 40s and folks are navigating through a sheet of sleet on their way to work. While it's easy to pummel the third-year passer for his head-scratching errant throws, he is coming off a Pro Bowl season and another summer working with Matt Nagy. And, let's not forget that he did drive the Bears down the field and into position to kick a game-winning field goal against the Eagles in the 2018 Wild Card Round. If only 43-yard boots were in his repertoire, there'd be an "A" up there.

Seems like a more reasonable assessement, minus all the crap about wearing shorts and the weather.

It was an up-and-down year for him. He was middle of the pack last year. 26th is just straight up Special person, though.

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Seems like a more reasonable assessement, minus all the crap about wearing shorts and the weather.

It was an up-and-down year for him. He was middle of the pack last year. 26th is just straight up Special person, though.
And yet he won. That’s what his job is, to win football games. His worst game by far (in my opinion) was the Buffalo game. A win. He is a better quarterback than Andy Dolton, no question.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So... part of the list cites statistics... (Watson, Trubs... etc) and part of the list is based on nothing but the eye test? (Dalton, Winston) And the worse being based on college experience only? Murray... So if Cliff Kingsbury's offense sucks and is a complete failure in the NFL this year, would Murray still be ranked high because of his college stats??

I think the real point of that list is click bait for traffic generation.

Last edited:

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And yet he won. That’s what his job is, to win football games. His worst game by far (in my opinion) was the Buffalo game. A win. He is a better quarterback than Andy Dolton, no question.

If you measure a QBs performance by team wins, do you think Grossman (15-4, NFC Champions) was better in 2006 than Trubisky (12-5, one and done in wild card round) was in 2018?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If you measure a QBs performance by team wins, do you think Grossman (15-4, NFC Champions) was better in 2006 than Trubisky (12-5, one and done in wild card round) was in 2018?

Through the first 7 games... hell yeah. :D

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
@bearmick
As far as Texans supporting cast vs Bears supporting cast, I think between Modo and Bearly they said everyting that I would of bought up. Texans have a better overall supporting cast on the O then the Bears hands down. The only advantage is Bears Collective O-Line and TE and neither is a huge advantage.

The only thing that is in question is the offensive playbook. I think it is impossible to make a fair comparison. You have to remember that what the Texans currently run is not O'Brien's playbook, but a dumbed down version that is tailored made to highlight Watson's strengths. Could Watson even run Nady's system? Maybe he would excel. Maybe he would be benched. I think Nagy would have to make a lot of changes and do the same as O'Brien and we would never see Nagy's playbook.

Watson is still playing the see it throw it game. That is why you see a lot of broken plays and the holding on to the ball so long. I think someone referred his play as "chuck and duck" or somekinf of backyard football. I am not sure if he can ever be a system guy. Jay had the same problem, how long were you making these same excuses for Jay?
I think OL will be a clear Bear advantage this coming year and the cast should be closer as well. It's not like the Texans haven't addressed the OL but comparatively, it was a down year for us. They needed more of a revamp.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
also the same with Fine Young Cannibals.

I find both those groups distinct from say, early Duran Duran and the Human League. Both of those groups belong in New Wave....FYC and Jesus Jones do not.....
I went to see Simply Red at the Riviera. They were actually the backup band for Human League. Waited the intermission to check out HL, cringed, then laughed and headed for the exits. I don't want you baby!

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think OL will be a clear Bear advantage this coming year and the cast should be closer as well. It's not like the Texans haven't addressed the OL but comparatively, it was a down year for us. They needed more of a revamp.
After the season is over we will see, and I hope that you are right. I also hope that the Bears have a clear advantage with their QB!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I went to see Simply Red at the Riviera. They were actually the backup band for Human League. Waited the intermission to check out HL, cringed, then laughed and headed for the exits. I don't want you baby!

I was never a big fan of the Human League........

On a side note, I saw My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult at the Riviera and it was an outstanding show.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
26th is no place for a guy who was top 15 in passer rating last year and top 3 in QBR. I get that QBR is imperfect, but I can’t imagine another young QB having a 95+ passer rating, top 15 in passer rating, be another year into the offensive scheme, and still be expected to drop off? Yeah, no.