2020 Rumor Mill

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow, if all Bowman got for Gus was conditional draft picks, I swear I'm going to shit a chicken

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

As for Lehner signing, it depend on what's coming back. IMHO in restrospect we were missing the playoffs anyway--there is no way we could get a $5M skater who would have saved the skaters from themselves this year. A single $5M skater would not have saved Gus from himself, Seabrook from himself for the 1st half of the year, Debrincat from himself, Strome from himself, and for the 1st half of the year Toews from himself.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I can understand the signing given Crow's concussion history but how does anyone who is actually in pro hockey not recognize this team's shortcomings? If this team was even close to being a Cup contender, it would be a proactive signing....but this team is one of the worst teams in the NHL. Unless his first name is Jesus....a goalie wasn't gonna get you where you want to go.

Right, and I thought there were other cheaper options available for an insurance goalie. Mrazek is one I can remember being out there who ended up signing for 2 million less than Lehner, for example. There were others I can't remember now.

Wasting 5 million on a player that was going to sit on the bench for half the season when you had so many deficiencies up front is only something Bowman would do.

And he didn't even end up re-signing him.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
According to TSN - Lehner for Subban.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right, and I thought there were other cheaper options available for an insurance goalie. Mrazek is one I can remember being out there who ended up signing for 2 million less than Lehner, for example. There were others I can't remember now.

Wasting 5 million on a player that was going to sit on the bench for half the season when you had so many deficiencies up front is only something Bowman would do.

Yeah, but it's pretty obvious that Bowman's not exactly a financial wizard. Who know what he would have done with the extra money? Hopefully, Mac is getting the memo.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:

what an idiotic post. CC was coming off back to back concussion seasons where he missed significant time.

But then again this same poster also thinks Toews has trade value...

lol

Granada

Liked Posts:
Pics or it didn't happen. :D

As for Lehner signing, it depend on what's coming back. IMHO in restrospect we were missing the playoffs anyway--there is no way we could get a $5M skater who would have saved the skaters from themselves this year. A single $5M skater would not have saved Gus from himself, Seabrook from himself for the 1st half of the year, Debrincat from himself, Strome from himself, and for the 1st half of the year Toews from himself.

That's somewhat of a binary way to look at it. It's not an issue of one 5 million dollar player for another 5 million dollar player, necessarily. The issue is, how Bowman used the available funds as a whole; and how that 5 million could have been better allocated with other funds. Using that 5 million toward a 6 or 7 million dollar D-man who wasn't coming off major shoulder surgery (de Haan) for example. You have to look at his moves in totality and how they relate to each other. This was his biggest acquisition last year: a one year goalie for 5 million. That's a fail.

Last edited:

Granada

Liked Posts:
what an idiotic post. CC was coming off back to back concussion seasons where he missed significant time.

But then again this same poster also thinks Toews has trade value...

lol

I'll ask again: project much?

Do yourself a favor and stick to the other 3 sports you were watching long before you jumped on the Hawks' bandwagon.

Granada

Liked Posts:
According to TSN - Lehner for Subban.

Guess you can add Colin Delia to the infinite list of Bowman's shit signings that failed to pan out.

Suban has a .890 save percentage this year, on a team that is better than the Hawks.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's somewhat of a binary way to look at it. It's not an issue one 5 million dollar player for another 5 million dollar player, necessarily. The issue is, how Bowman used the available funds as a whole; and how that 5 million could have been better utilized. Using that 5 million toward a 6 or 7 million dollar D-man who wasn't coming off major shoulder surgery (de Haan) for example. You have to look at his moves in totality and how they relate to each other. This was his biggest acquisition last year: a one year goalie for 5 million. That's a fail.
IMHO we'd be looking at multiple 6-7M players to fill in the gaps. Even if he didn't get Shaw, DeHaan, and Lehner. You're looking at, say, 6.725M over 2 players. I still don't think that's enough to save the skaters from themselves. The counter-argument to you "Sitting half the games on the bench" is that any skater would end up sitting approximately 1/3 or 1/2 of each game on the bench. Unless the players coming back scored as much as at least Kane or played defense like a prime Keith, you're still looking at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the game when they're not on the ice, and we'd still be stuck with guys like Seabrook being Cullimore-slow, the Kyle Calder-like Toews of early on. Debrincat playing like Rene Borque, Gus playing like Runblad, Koekkoek playing like Kukkinen, Maata playing like Kempny, etc. etc.. There were just too many pieces the in the past few seasons underperforming, and Stan dropped the ball in terms of the succession plan.

You won't get an argument from me if you want to chalk in Lehner as another reason Stan should be shown the door in an aerial-like fashion. But I don't think the season in retrospect was salvageable. There have been far too many passengers requiring top players to take over core roles--and the amount of salary we could have used to sign them was nowhere near enough with respect to the skaters needed.

As for Delia/Subban: As long as neither is guaranteed the backup slot I'm okay with it. Neither has shown thus far the ability to take over the reins. Shitty return for Lehner, maybe...but it does give is a cost-controlled option moving forward with Subban being an RFA.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did something happen to Fluerry other than getting older?

Granada

Liked Posts:
IMHO we'd be looking at multiple 6-7M players to fill in the gaps. Even if he didn't get Shaw, DeHaan, and Lehner. You're looking at, say, 6.725M over 2 players. I still don't think that's enough to save the skaters from themselves. The counter-argument to you "Sitting half the games on the bench" is that any skater would end up sitting approximately 1/3 or 1/2 of each game on the bench. Unless the players coming back scored as much as at least Kane or played defense like a prime Keith, you're still looking at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the game when they're not on the ice, and we'd still be stuck with guys like Seabrook being cullimore-slow, the Kyle Calder-like Toews of early on. Debrincat playing like Rene Borque, Gus playing like Runblad, Koekkoek playing like Kukkinen, Maata playing like Kempny, etc. etc.. There were just too many pieces the in the past few seasons underperforming, and Stan dropped the ball in terms of the succession plan.

You won't get an argument from me if you want to chalk in Lehner as another reason Stan should be shown the door in an aerial-like fashion. But I don't think the season in retrospect was salvageable. There have been far too many passengers requiring top players to take over core roles--and the amount of salary we could have used to sign them was nowhere near enough.

Come on, Kotl -- there's a difference between sitting half the games in the regular season and sitting out half an individual game, like literally 99% of hockey forwards (and D-men) do.

Anyways, even if you thought the season "wasn't salvageable" no matter what moves were made (I disagree with this assessment, but I digress), that still doesn't justify Bowman throwing money out the window on the players he did this off-season.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Did something happen to Fluerry other than getting older?

Not that I know. I thought maybe he was injured or something, but he's not. I guess Vegas just wants two number-one goalies for the playoffs in case Fleury falters. I really can't see how they'd re-sign Lehner after this year, with Fleury at 7 million for two more years.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
IMHO we'd be looking at multiple 6-7M players to fill in the gaps. Even if he didn't get Shaw, DeHaan, and Lehner. You're looking at, say, 6.725M over 2 players. I still don't think that's enough to save the skaters from themselves. The counter-argument to you "Sitting half the games on the bench" is that any skater would end up sitting approximately 1/3 or 1/2 of each game on the bench. Unless the players coming back scored as much as at least Kane or played defense like a prime Keith, you're still looking at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the game when they're not on the ice, and we'd still be stuck with guys like Seabrook being Cullimore-slow, the Kyle Calder-like Toews of early on. Debrincat playing like Rene Borque, Gus playing like Runblad, Koekkoek playing like Kukkinen, Maata playing like Kempny, etc. etc.. There were just too many pieces the in the past few seasons underperforming, and Stan dropped the ball in terms of the succession plan.

You won't get an argument from me if you want to chalk in Lehner as another reason Stan should be shown the door in an aerial-like fashion. But I don't think the season in retrospect was salvageable. There have been far too many passengers requiring top players to take over core roles--and the amount of salary we could have used to sign them was nowhere near enough with respect to the skaters needed.

As for Delia/Subban: As long as neither is guaranteed the backup slot I'm okay with it. Neither has shown thus far the ability to take over the reins. Shitty return for Lehner, maybe...but it does give is a cost-controlled option moving forward with Subban being an RFA.

I disagree with the "passenger" thing. There is a huge difference between a player that doesn'r give his all and player who is just not very good. Perfect example is this kid, Highmore.....he busts his ass out there every night but he has the stick skills of a pre-schooler. Just not a very good player and there are others like him on this roster.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not that I know. I thought maybe he was injured or something, but he's not. I guess Vegas just wants two number-one goalies for the playoffs in case Fleury falters. I really can't see how they'd re-sign Lehner after this year, with Fleury at 7 million for two more years.

Considering Carolina's situation, this was just a strange trade.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Considering Carolina's situation, this was just a strange trade.

Yeah, I'm still confused by it, honestly.

TSN is reporting that Bowman traded Nathan Noel to Philly for d-man TJ Brennan -- I love how he trades Jokijarhu for Nylander last off-season, only to trade for two more D-men prospects now.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For anybody else like me, that knows little or nothing about Slava Demin....here's a vid. He appears to have some skills as an offensive defenseman. He can get his point shots through to the net which has been a long standing problem for the Hawks.

Liked Posts:
I have not seen it anywhere other than here that there was a second round pick included in this deal.
If there was a second round pick included then I think I can live with the deal.. If there was not, than why even make this deal?????
A marginal back up goalie and a depth D man? WHY BOTHER??

Have not seen the trade with Calgary for Gustafsson announced anywhere.

T.J. Brennan? Who gives a F@#k?? He has been in this organization before... sucked then and still sucks now. Another D man that has no idea how to play defense... just like StanBo likes them!!!!

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
none of us knew how Horrendous Lehnar was at shootouts.

Still want to hear Foley call Nalimov just once.