2020 Rumor Mill

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have not seen it anywhere other than here that there was a second round pick included in this deal.
If there was a second round pick included then I think I can live with the deal.. If there was not, than why even make this deal?????
A marginal back up goalie and a depth D man? WHY BOTHER??

Have not seen the trade with Calgary for Gustafsson announced anywhere.

T.J. Brennan? Who gives a F@#k?? He has been in this organization before... sucked then and still sucks now. Another D man that has no idea how to play defense... just like StanBo likes them!!!!

Just saw that he got two 3rds in 2020 draft for Gus. The Brennan deal was pretty much a waste.....he just can't stay away from 30something players. Not that he gave up much other than age....Noel has done little or nothing.

**Correction....one third round pick.**

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Come on, Kotl -- there's a difference between sitting half the games in the regular season and sitting out half an individual game, like literally 99% of hockey forwards (and D-men) do.

Anyways, even if you thought the season "wasn't salvageable" no matter what moves were made (I disagree with this assessment, but I digress), that still doesn't justify Bowman throwing money out the window on the players he did this off-season.
So you're telling me any time Gus, Seabs, KK, etc. stepped onto the ice you were't worried that they would screw the pooch and put the team (goalie or otherwise) in a bad situation?

To me they are comparable situations. If you're going into a game where you're icing a cold or bad goaltender you're probably thinking the team D has to step it up over the course of the game. Same way if you have a cold bad player step onto the ice--the team O or the goalie needs to step it up that shift because you expect them to screw the pooch.

I disagree with the "passenger" thing. There is a huge difference between a player that doesn'r give his all and player who is just not very good. Perfect example is this kid, Highmore.....he busts his ass out there every night but he has the stick skills of a pre-schooler. Just not a very good player and there are others like him on this roster.
That's why I specifically didn't mention Highmore and why I specifically did mention early-season Toews, full season Debrincat, Gus, etc. Guys who you know have more skill and hockey sense but just weren't doing anything worthwhile. Contrast Highmore to Nylander.

You could easily argue there are a number of players on the roster that simply aren't good. You can also argue there are a number of players who fail to bring it night-in/night out.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
You could easily argue there are a number of players on the roster that simply aren't good. You can also argue there are a number of players who fail to bring it night-in/night out.

I can easily argue that the system the veteran cup winning superstars could not get a handle on will be impossible for second and third tier players to understand.

Granada

Liked Posts:
So you're telling me any time Gus, Seabs, KK, etc. stepped onto the ice you were't worried that they would screw the pooch and put the team (goalie or otherwise) in a bad situation?

To me they are comparable situations. If you're going into a game where you're icing a cold or bad goaltender you're probably thinking the team D has to step it up over the course of the game. Same way if you have a cold bad player step onto the ice--the team O or the goalie needs to step it up that shift because you expect them to screw the pooch.

That's why I specifically didn't mention Highmore and why I specifically did mention early-season Toews, full season Debrincat, Gus, etc. Guys who you know have more skill and hockey sense but just weren't doing anything worthwhile. Contrast Highmore to Nylander.

I don't see how that question is at all relative...you're getting into some wacky territory here.

My original point was, Bowman should have better allocated the funds he had at his disposal this off-season. Your argument was, it didn't matter because this team was doomed no matter what. I disagree. Again, that doesn't at all excuse the GM's performance this off-season.

Granada

Liked Posts:

You could also argue that this team could have been better if the right moves were made in the off-season.

Liked Posts:
Some odd details emerging around the Lehner deal. It looks as if he was traded to Toronto by the Hawks; with the Hawks retaining 50%. Then for some, as of yet, unknown reason Toronto traded him to Vegas; retaining another 22% for a 5th round pick. (Source: Cap Friendly)
So, Vegas gets him at 1.4 mil for a 2nd, a 5th, a prospect, and got rid of Malcolm Subban in the process.
Pretty shrewd moves by McCrimmon.

Must be nice to be the fan of a team that has a smart, creative, shrewd General Manager.

Note: The Hawks received Pittsburgh's 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Vegas Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
As a life-long Hawks fan now living in Southern Nevada I watch a lot of Golden Knights games. Subban is awful and nothing more needs to be said. If he stunk it up in front of the Vegas defense, which is pretty solid, he's going to get vulcanized with the Hawks Swiss cheese in front of him. By that same token, Lehner should be better with Vegas unless, of course, there's a shootout.

Hopefully Subban is only here as a stop-gap until the end of this season, which can't come soon enough. Then, as many of us having been hoping for, they can send the incompetent Bowman, his ancient old man, and his peewee coach packing to Saskatchewan or some other post up in the Canadian wilderness, never to be seen again.

Belfour'sBlocker

Liked Posts:
This isn't in defense of Bowman...but just giving an overall context.
This is the list of players available last year....none of the top guys where signing here and the other low dollar reasonable deals are hit or miss. Dzingle is good but Simmons...not so much. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl...t-available-players/u7kboojz9arm1hyfajjoxkxwx

Lehner was a good signing if you think the hawks missed out on the playoffs because of Crow's injury. He is still a good signing given that you now have Ian Mitchell's D partner in Denver, a Second, and a former first-rounder in Subban (who I don't think will pan out but goalies take a lot longer than forwards or D. And with Seattle draft coming up you will have a ton of goalie options after next year.

As for the overall direction of the team this is my biggest issue with Bowman, you either need to be really bad or really good, mediocre with a high payroll is a crap way to live in any sports league.

The idea that Toews doesn't have value is an absolute JOKE. The guy scored 80 points last year and has 52 in 62 games this year. Combine that with 3 cups and a C and I don't think he would ever be a salary dump, you would get value if you decided to move him.

I'd like to see the team take a direction, either get horrible or just go for it. If you are going to go for it then you talk to Shaw, Seabrook, and DeHaan....go to LTIR. You move Smith, Maata, and Keith. If you do that you still have Debrincat, Kane, Toews, Strome, Saad, and Dach to build around (that is a decent top 6). Your Free agent D this year are led by Pieterangelo and then a slew of top 4 guys. You have Holtby, Lehner, Halak, Anderson, Markstrom if you need a goalie.

If you don't want to go for it then keep a bunch of guys and just realize that in 3-5 years your big contracts are gone, so tank and draft well (which the hawks have done) and let those rookies over develop in their leagues and then the AHL.

What you can't keep doing is finishing with the 8-10th worst spot and hoping to win the draft.

Take a direction...and the only way to do that is to clean out President and the GM. That is the only way IMO because the current group believes in this roster and that is sad really.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
This isn't in defense of Bowman...but just giving an overall context.
This is the list of players available last year....none of the top guys where signing here and the other low dollar reasonable deals are hit or miss. Dzingle is good but Simmons...not so much. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl...t-available-players/u7kboojz9arm1hyfajjoxkxwx

Lehner was a good signing if you think the hawks missed out on the playoffs because of Crow's injury. He is still a good signing given that you now have Ian Mitchell's D partner in Denver, a Second, and a former first-rounder in Subban (who I don't think will pan out but goalies take a lot longer than forwards or D. And with Seattle draft coming up you will have a ton of goalie options after next year.

As for the overall direction of the team this is my biggest issue with Bowman, you either need to be really bad or really good, mediocre with a high payroll is a crap way to live in any sports league.

The idea that Toews doesn't have value is an absolute JOKE. The guy scored 80 points last year and has 52 in 62 games this year. Combine that with 3 cups and a C and I don't think he would ever be a salary dump, you would get value if you decided to move him.

I'd like to see the team take a direction, either get horrible or just go for it. If you are going to go for it then you talk to Shaw, Seabrook, and DeHaan....go to LTIR. You move Smith, Maata, and Keith. If you do that you still have Debrincat, Kane, Toews, Strome, Saad, and Dach to build around (that is a decent top 6). Your Free agent D this year are led by Pieterangelo and then a slew of top 4 guys. You have Holtby, Lehner, Halak, Anderson, Markstrom if you need a goalie.

If you don't want to go for it then keep a bunch of guys and just realize that in 3-5 years your big contracts are gone, so tank and draft well (which the hawks have done) and let those rookies over develop in their leagues and then the AHL.

What you can't keep doing is finishing with the 8-10th worst spot and hoping to win the draft.

Take a direction...and the only way to do that is to clean out President and the GM. That is the only way IMO because the current group believes in this roster and that is sad really.

False premise. No one is saying Toews has no value, I think most would agree his current FMV is about $7-$8 million/Season.

And that nets to $2.5 million of negative contract value per season, and he's going to get gradually worse before he gets better.

That means you couldn't give him away for nothing, what team would currently allocate $10.5M of cap space for him even if they had to give up zero trade assets to get him?

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Some odd details emerging around the Lehner deal. It looks as if he was traded to Toronto by the Hawks; with the Hawks retaining 50%. Then for some, as of yet, unknown reason Toronto traded him to Vegas; retaining another 22% for a 5th round pick. (Source: Cap Friendly)
So, Vegas gets him at 1.4 mil for a 2nd, a 5th, a prospect, and got rid of Malcolm Subban in the process.

Must be nice to be the fan of a team that has a smart, creative, shrewd General Manager.

Let us know when they hoisting their 3 cups

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

half of that? half of what was left of his deal, say 2.5 million, sounds like vegas is paying him about 6-700 k.

maybe that attitude of his was wrecking this locker room

Belfour'sBlocker

Liked Posts:
Subban was drafted because he was a stud at the world juniors (just like Jack Campbell). This is likely his last
half of that? half of what was left of his deal, say 2.5 million, sounds like vegas is paying him about 6-700 k.

maybe that attitude of his was wrecking this locker room

I think it is more that Vegas was up against the cap so they needed 2 teams to retain salary to make the deal work. Toronto gets a 5th for taking on money (something they have a lot of).

I will say over the last month I have hated Lehner's attitude. Maybe it was the contract getting to him, or the losses, but he reminded me of Ryan Miller during his last days of playing with Buffalo where his body language sucked...every goal was his on his D-men and not him.

Belfour'sBlocker

Liked Posts:
False premise. No one is saying Toews has no value, I think most would agree his current FMV is about $7-$8 million/Season.

And that nets to $2.5 million of negative contract value per season, and he's going to get gradually worse before he gets better.

That means you couldn't give him away for nothing, what team would currently allocate $10.5M of cap space for him even if they had to give up zero trade assets to get him?

Look at Jack's comments...he was saying Toews has no value. I agree with your assessment of where his value is dollars wise. You can always eat 2 million a year and get some good prospects in return. A team like WPG who frees up 7.8 Million in Buffs contract I am sure would consider bringing home a WPG native.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Look at Jack's comments...he was saying Toews has no value. I agree with your assessment of where his value is dollars wise. You can always eat 2 million a year and get some good prospects in return. A team like WPG who frees up 7.8 Million in Buffs contract I am sure would consider bringing home a WPG native.

I just attempted that move on my NHL 20 EA video game and the computer Winnepeg Jets GM laughed at me, I kid you not.

Belfour'sBlocker

Liked Posts:
I just attempted that move on my NHL 20 EA video game and the computer Winnepeg Jets GM laughed at me, I kid you not.

Yes, let's rely on a video game. Barclay Goodrow netted SJ a 1st rounder.

Besides, why even argue about Toews value or contract. Seabrook, Maata, Smith, De Haan, Shaw, Delia, those are the contracts that are hot garbage right now. If the organization had any stones they would go to Seabrook, Shaw, and De Haan and give them the Hossa treatment.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Well, Devin is playing with Mitchell out in Denver, so scouts probably fell in love with him watching Mitchell.

"We've spent a lot of time working with Ian over the last few seasons and I think we've got very a good read on (Demin)," SVP/GM Stan Bowman said. "He's a guy that when you go and watch Mitchell play, he always caught my eye. I noticed him even when I wasn't necessarily watching out for him. He's a good-sized guy at 6-foot-2, a smooth skater, he's got a pretty good well-rounded game for a young defenseman and we like the upside there."

I guess there is some method to this madness.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Yes, let's rely on a video game. Barclay Goodrow netted SJ a 1st rounder.

Besides, why even argue about Toews value or contract. Seabrook, Maata, Smith, De Haan, Shaw, Delia, those are the contracts that are hot garbage right now. If the organization had any stones they would go to Seabrook, Shaw, and De Haan and give them the Hossa treatment.
We knew what was in the system, all D men, we get Gilbert and Carllson, not on the hot topic d man prospect list that play well, trade Joker, sign Maata and De Haan til 2023. I could see if we were not close to getting Mitchell from college, then sign someone for a year , but not this long.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Start Subban the new goalie the rest of the way. He has zero pressure to do well and raise his stock.

Tank it. Draft Alexis Lafreniere #1 overall.