1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It's here. Discuss.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Taijuan Walker Auditioning For Cubs
February 10th, 2020 at 2:56pm CST • By Jeff Todd
While he’s already said to be considering multiple offers from other organizations, righty Taijuan Walker is going to throw for at least one team in hopes of boosting interest. He’s in Cubs camp readying to audition, ESPNChicago.com’s Jesse Rogers reports on Twitter.

It might be tempting to wonder if there’s some kind of agreement in place, but Rogers says that’s not the case. It does seem fair to assume there’s serious interest, though.

Given that Walker already seems to have at least one solid opportunity with the Mariners, his former team, it’s notable that he’s willing to go put on an in-person showing at this point. If he lands with the Cubs, he’d presumably be given a shot to duel with Tyler Chatwood in camp for the fifth starter’s job.

The Cubs have pursued low-cost, reasonably high upside opportunities wherever possible this winter. Just what kind of money the team could promise Walker — in an up-front guarantee or through incentives — isn’t really clear. But it seems unlikely the Chicago organization will make a significant commitment at this point given the obvious, self-imposed constraints it has operated under this offseason.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs, Jason Kipnis Agree To Minor League Deal
By Steve Adams | February 11, 2020 at 5:08pm CDT

5:08pm: The two sides have agreed to a deal, tweets MLB Network’s Jon Heyman. Kipnis, a Beverly Hills Sports Council client, will earn $1MM if he makes the club. He can boost that base salary via performance bonuses.
3:30pm: The Cubs are “zeroing in” on free-agent second baseman Jason Kipnis, tweets ESPN’s Jesse Rogers. Jordan Bastian of MLB.com adds that the two sides are working to finish up a minor league deal and non-roster invite to Spring Training. Kipnis still has to take a physical before any deal is complete, however.
Kipnis, 32, was once a star-caliber second baseman with the Indians, who signed him to a $52.5MM extension back in 2014. He was excellent both in 2013 and 2015, making a pair of All-Star teams and garnering MVP votes in each of those seasons. On the whole, from the time he debuted through the completion of the 2016 season, Kipnis batted a combined .272/.345/.423 while averaging 17 homers, 38 doubles and 25 steals per 162 games played.
However, over the pat three seasons, Kipnis simply hasn’t hit much, combining for just a .236/.305/.403 slash (86 OPS+) in 1485 plate appearances. His decline eliminated any surprise over the Indians’ decision to pay a $2.5MM buyout on what once looked to be a reasonable $16.5MM club option for the 2020 season.
The Cubs’ second base mix is muddled, at best. Nico Hoerner hit .282 in 82 plate appearances late in the year but managed only a .305 on-base percentage. He’s also yet to play a game in Triple-A. Former first-round pick Ian Happ has yet to establish himself in the Majors, and late-blooming David Bote has been more of a utility player than an everyday option at Wrigley. The versatile Daniel Descalso flopped in his first year with Chicago, posting an alarming .173/.271/.250 slash in 194 plate appearances. Non-roster options include Hernan Perez, Carlos Asuaje and Corban Joseph. The Chicago-born Kipnis, however, figures to have a very legitimate chance of cracking the roster and suiting up to play his home games at Wrigley Field — just 19 miles from the high school he attended.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure how I feel about this signing. 2B is a mess for sure. But I would rather go with Descalso and Bote who you already have and are paying vs adding 1 mil to a guy that has sucked for years. Daniel was solid and his downturn coincided with a injury.

Bote: VS L 80 wRC+ VS R 115 wRC+
Des: vs L 21 wRC+ VS R 44 wRC+

So the core issue is vs LHP not adding a LH hitter to stack the deck vs Right.

So IMO it is a wasted effort that really solves nothing. You already have that on payroll.

Theo IMO has been a disappointment for a while now and the only difference is now he has no cash to make larger screw ups.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Can we DFA Descalso now?
One thought I read on this subject was insurance if Theo finds a trade partner for Bryant.

I see it as Bote is the starting 2B right now. If Bryant gets traded they have Kip sitting to take over 2B with Bote shifting to 3B. That what this deal was really about. It has little to do with winning a battle or replacing Daniel.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It also signals Nico will be at AAA regardless of what happens at spring training. He pushed a .305 OBA and has to adjust to 2B. I have felt that he will need 300 PA there. But he goes there knowing that he can play at the highest level and for the most part needs to do some adjustments.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
So far I am disappointed with the chatwood has inside track on 5 starter. Dammit do I want some competition here now. Start competing now so they can change the hippie mentality of this team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Chatwood has really good stuff. Can hit 98 and the ball has movement. Off speed has life. If he has command he becomes an asset

All right I'll lay it out here. I've been thinking this over and my take is they are going back to what worked pre-2016.

They are building value in trade chips for selling.

Chatwood starting.
Signing Kip.
Giving Morrow a deal.

Etc.

I see this as they will stash Nico and Alozay in Iowa while they build up trade value in Q, Chatwood and Kip. Then they will start to sell off the expiring deals and refill with what they were preparing.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Chatwood has really good stuff. Can hit 98 and the ball has movement. Off speed has life. If he has command he becomes an asset

I dont care if Chatwood is our fifth starter, I just want them to compete and be rewarded on how well they pitch this spring, not setting the ace title right off the bus. Chatwood might have been hitting 98 due to his role in the pen and not holding back needing to make 100 pitches, we wont know. We know he has movement, he just cant control it enough to keep it in the zone and the ball moving a foot will make every catcher looks like a thief disgrace. I have said I prefer to go with 6 man rotation so Mills or Rhea gets a real shot.

I thought Ross was going to bring competition into this team again, and it starts with earning jobs. He said he likes a steady lineup, so that must mean that platooning at 2b and CF is hopefully not a common practice, sounds like performers will earn time.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I dont care if Chatwood is our fifth starter, I just want them to compete and be rewarded on how well they pitch this spring, not setting the ace title right off the bus. Chatwood might have been hitting 98 due to his role in the pen and not holding back needing to make 100 pitches, we wont know. We know he has movement, he just cant control it enough to keep it in the zone and the ball moving a foot will make every catcher looks like a thief disgrace. I have said I prefer to go with 6 man rotation so Mills or Rhea gets a real shot.

I thought Ross was going to bring competition into this team again, and it starts with earning jobs. He said he likes a steady lineup, so that must mean that platooning at 2b and CF is hopefully not a common practice, sounds like performers will earn time.

That is fair enough.

But I am holding to the win talk is bull crap. If they were planning on contending then they would have addressed it and payroll would not be the issue.

I see it as Theo micro manages with in budget. Tom is not allowing Theo to bust the bank after failing to make the play offs with a 250 mil budget.

The talk on Nico and Alozay is more so tentative vs they are a part of it.

So I just see this as going through the motions this year. Tell the fans that they care. Then do what they were planning all along. Restock the farm and get payroll closer to 180 M

Lip service

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

All right I'll lay it out here. I've been thinking this over and my take is they are going back to what worked pre-2016.

They are building value in trade chips for selling.

Chatwood starting.
Signing Kip.
Giving Morrow a deal.

Etc.

I see this as they will stash Nico and Alozay in Iowa while they build up trade value in Q, Chatwood and Kip. Then they will start to sell off the expiring deals and refill with what they were preparing.

Agreed. They are giving themselves flexibility. They are going to see how the first few months of the season goes, then make decisions based off that. At this point, I think the only way they trade away guys before the season, is if they get offered a deal too good to turn down.