I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Misconception on Lester, he doesnt like to throw to first(or whatever he tries to do) but he is extremely quick to the plate and its why runners dont steal a lot of bases off him.

I’m aware.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Early vibe

Bryant
Rizzo
Baez
Heyward
Contreras
Kipnis
Almora
Schwarber

Looks like the opening day roster. For some reason David has planted Jason in the 4.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Early vibe

Bryant
Rizzo
Baez
Heyward
Contreras
Kipnis
Almora
Schwarber

Looks like the opening day roster. For some reason David has planted Jason in the 4.

I am not reading too much into this, you want the vets to get their two at bats and get off the field.
I do believe this was the first game they played Schwarber with this group, he has always been the next day lineup guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I am not reading too much into this, you want the vets to get their two at bats and get off the field.
I do believe this was the first game they played Schwarber with this group, he has always been the next day lineup guy.

It was a split game. Game 2 lacked any punch from the line up. It felt like they wanted the core to play against Joe and left the scrubs to fend for themselves.

When your line up is Descalso, Almora, Heyward, Bote you are asking for a shut out. Even Caratini caught and Contreras DHed so there was not even a MLB roster catcher in game 2.

What to take out of it?

Bryant
Rizzo
Baez
Schwarber
Contreras

Is the preferred line up. 6, 7, 8 hitters are going to be flexible.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But all things considered I see Happ getting the bulk in CF. You give him 600 PA's he is going to chase 30 HR's. Almora in 600 PA's might sniff 16.

When you are talking bottom of the order it matters less as those PA's are more so clean up opportunists vs rally starters.

So as far as this year is concerned I really see a strait platoon in RF/CF. Souza and Heyward are basically equals and hit from either side. Happ is a better LH hitter and can get RH PA's in LF to give Schwarber days off.

So that IMO is the situation there.

2B Horerner is over matched. This should go to Kipnis and Bote in a strait platoon.

What they really need to do is cut Descalso and then sign a D first UI that excels at SS D. You really don't want to be left vulnerable there.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont know if many people noticed but Baez has walked 4 times this year in 6 games.

Seems it isnt just a flash. Its something he is working on and not automatically swinging on 3-2. I dont think he will ever be a world beater at walks but if he can get to 50 to 60 walks a year. Oh my, he probably will get an MVP. Pitchers would have to challenge him more and we all know what he does with those. Could be a monster year for him.

CubsFaninMN

Liked Posts:
I dont know if many people noticed but Baez has walked 4 times this year in 6 games.

Seems it isnt just a flash. Its something he is working on and not automatically swinging on 3-2. I dont think he will ever be a world beater at walks but if he can get to 50 to 60 walks a year. Oh my, he probably will get an MVP. Pitchers would have to challenge him more and we all know what he does with those. Could be a monster year for him.

I read an interview with Javy over the off-season where he talked about his lack of patience at the plate. He said something like well, that's the one area everyone always tells him he needs to work on in order to up his game, so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and start working on being patient at the plate. Mentioned that it might be the only way he'll ever be considered a "complete" player.

Left unspoken was that, assuming comparable offense and defense from his past couple of seasons, just adding in walks to pump up the OBP would indeed make him an MVP candidate that would be hard to beat by anyone not having a truly special career year.

So, it appears Baez is working on taking more walks. And, so far, is having some success...

-New Doug

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Javy gets a OBA pushing .360 all of a sudden he is in the 30M AAV combo.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I read an interview with Javy over the off-season where he talked about his lack of patience at the plate. He said something like well, that's the one area everyone always tells him he needs to work on in order to up his game, so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and start working on being patient at the plate. Mentioned that it might be the only way he'll ever be considered a "complete" player.

Left unspoken was that, assuming comparable offense and defense from his past couple of seasons, just adding in walks to pump up the OBP would indeed make him an MVP candidate that would be hard to beat by anyone not having a truly special career year.

So, it appears Baez is working on taking more walks. And, so far, is having some success...

-New Doug
Well, he was second in MVP voting when he did not take walks so I guess he would be a lock to win every year.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man, I know I shouldnt bet on Spring Training but I took a live bet because the odds were +155 on Cubs win. These dickwads give up 5 in the 9th and lose. Unbelievable.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It was great until I heard Rizzo say "I miss you Joe"

I am still not sure if Ross knew Rizzo and Bryant were mic'd up when he gave out his Jake Taylor alias or if he is picking a new one now too. I liked how Rizzo called Ross skipper.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I can't wait for the first round of cuts to get the scrubs off the diamond.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I kinda want Ian Miller to win a roster spot.

Push a platoon with Almora and then push Happ to 2B.

So the team would line up as

Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Baez SS
Schwarber LF
Contreras C
Heyward/Souza RF
Happ 2B
Miller/Almora CF

Bench
Bote corner IF
Caratini C

Last spot. Zach Short would be nice as a back up SS.

But they should cut Descalso to add Miller. The speed factor is a huge plus. Then run Garcia as a primary PH

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I thought miller was send to AAA in the first cuts.

. A need for speed?
In the eighth inning on Friday, outfielder Ian Miller reached base with a bunt single against the White Sox. He then stole second, moved to third on a throwing error by the catcher and later scored on a wild pitch.

"Isn't that fun to watch?" Ross said.

Ross said this weekend in Las Vegas that Miller (42 steals on average over his last five Minor League seasons) has "definitely put himself in the mix" for the 26th roster spot. The fleet-footed outfielder was at it again Sunday, when he stole his MLB-leading eighth bag of Spring Training to set up a run. In 15 games this spring, Miller has also slashed .375/.469/.459.

"It's impactful," Ross said of Miller's speed. "He's definitely exciting to watch, especially a guy on a team where we don't have that really in our game too much.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Ross is already alluding to adding him.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Did not know there was a Tyson Miller. At least Robel is out.

Right-handed pitcher Tyson Miller and infielder Robel Garcia been optioned to Triple-A Iowa. Left-handed pitcher Justin Steele and right-handed pitcher Manuel Rodriguez have been optioned to Double-A Tennessee.
Seven non-roster invitees have been assigned to minor league camp: Right-handed pitchers Jason Adam, Oscar De La Cruz, Caleb Simpson and Brock Stewart; left-handed pitchers Tyler Olson and C.D. Pelham; and catcher Jhonny Pereda.

Hell, its pretty bad when all the information some of us get are from this site.