2nd Round QB pick

baredown

Liked Posts:
OK, just for fun, lets look at all the QBs who have been selected in the 2nd round over the last five years:

2019 - #42 Lock (Denver)
2018 - <none>
2017 - #52 Kizer (Cleveland)
2016 - #51 Hackenberg (NYJ)
2015 - <none>

That's all there have been. Set aside the obvious observation that Kizer is on his 3rd team already, Hackenberg is out of football, and Lock is still an unknown. The forest-among-the-trees observation is that of 160 2nd round picks across that period, a grand total of three QBs were chosen. Meanwhile, just arbitrarily picking a couple devalued positions, RB and C, there were 10RBs and 5 Cs chosen over the same period. Why so few taken at the most important position on the field? Because any college QB evaluated to have the talent of an NFL starter gets grabbed in the 1st round. OK, but then why don't teams take fliers on college QBs with potential but flaws? Because the 2nd round is typically full of starter potential, and even Pro Bowl potential players at the other positions. Anyone dreaming of a 2nd round QB for the Bears in this draft is deluding themself...

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Finding a 2nd round QB is really hard. The only thing is that this draft has quite a few more QB prospects than normal which makes things interesting.

I still think it's unlikely the Bears find a QB in this draft that is a significant upgrade from Trubs.

But it certainly is an interesting QB stable this draft.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
2021 there should be a decent QB with the first or second pick.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finding a 2nd round QB is really hard. The only thing is that this draft has quite a few more QB prospects than normal which makes things interesting.

I still think it's unlikely the Bears find a QB in this draft that is a significant upgrade from Trubs.

But it certainly is an interesting QB stable this draft.
this.

with 6 guys there will be teams that pass in the first round too. Then again, it feels like alot of teams would like a young QB

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2021 there should be a decent QB with the first or second pick.
there could be a GM poker showdown if a handful of mid-round teams pass for second round. At that point our 2 picks could sneak into late first.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They will ride it out with Trubisky. No way they burn a second on a guy who will carry a clipboard when they have big time holes to fill elsewhere. Hey, it's basically a contract year....maybe he buries his head into the playbook and elevates his play.
At this point, it doesn't look very promising but stranger shit than that has happened.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
My guess is we will take a qb this draft but it won’t be until day 3. We will most likely sign a fringe backup/starter caliber player like Cj Bethard or Nate Sudefield as an upgrade to Chase and then draft someone to develop late in the draft as an upgrade to Bray. Eg Stanley, Gordon, McDonald, or Huntly

jive

Liked Posts:
Whether Pace means it or not, he's going to publicly stick with Trubisky. He's not going to tip his hand for a draft pick, or devalue his own guy for a trade. Not that either is going to happen, but there's nothing to gain by saying that he's not the starter. Right now, he's the only QB under contract.

Pace claims to be a get the best player available, and I think he'll need to draft that way out of need since we have certainly more holes than in 2019. The 2020 draft is deep at WR, CB, and OT, and we can certainly use help in those areas. So, if there's someone that can fill one of our many needs, that's the guy we should get whether it's a QB, TE, WR, OT, OG, OLB, CB or S. If a QB is the best of that group when it's our time to pick, then so be it. But, I don't think the QBs available are better value than the WRs, OTs, and CBs that would be available in the 2nd.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Consider that a 2nd rounder could be saying here's our backup, we're riding with Trubisky long term until the backup is better. Odds of a rookie let alone a 2nd rounder displacing Trubisky this year is extremely slim even if it's obvious it will happen. Remember Trubisky was supposed to be sitting a year behind Glennon. If you want Trubisky gone it may be better to look for some experience.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sign a vet and grad a QB in later round draft an olineman with every pick

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’m much more interested in the transfer to Georgia, Jamie Newman, as a prospect in the 2021 NFL draft.

He has the potential to be a high first round pick and I expect his draft stock to rise dramatically next year.

You heard it here first. Fuck this scrub Fromm.

Newman might save UGA's offense. Fromm was a perfect college QB.....in the 90's. The elite teams in CF have dynamic QB's now and Fromm is far from that.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
The question I have is: if the Bears took a flyer on, say a 4th or 5th round QB, and he outplayed Trubisky, with the way this franchise operates would they even give him a fair chance given what they have invested in mitch? It seems like everything they do is based cost, sunk cost, and loss. Sort of like an accountant thinks....

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Eason please.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
OK, just for fun, lets look at all the QBs who have been selected in the 2nd round over the last five years:

2019 - #42 Lock (Denver)
2018 - <none>
2017 - #52 Kizer (Cleveland)
2016 - #51 Hackenberg (NYJ)
2015 - <none>

That's all there have been. Set aside the obvious observation that Kizer is on his 3rd team already, Hackenberg is out of football, and Lock is still an unknown. The forest-among-the-trees observation is that of 160 2nd round picks across that period, a grand total of three QBs were chosen. Meanwhile, just arbitrarily picking a couple devalued positions, RB and C, there were 10RBs and 5 Cs chosen over the same period. Why so few taken at the most important position on the field? Because any college QB evaluated to have the talent of an NFL starter gets grabbed in the 1st round. OK, but then why don't teams take fliers on college QBs with potential but flaws? Because the 2nd round is typically full of starter potential, and even Pro Bowl potential players at the other positions. Anyone dreaming of a 2nd round QB for the Bears in this draft is deluding themself...

When Dak Prescott was selected in the 4th round.....we past on him.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We sholdn't go Qb with the 2nd round pick. Yes to a later round. Fromm & Eason don't fit our OL. We need a mobile, accurate Qb.