49ers reach long-term deal with Robbie Gould

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
In order for there to be leverage, there would actually have to have been a legit chance of it happening. Unless you are saying the San Fran front office is full of morons.

Either way...Gould didn't use us for anything...
The Bears situation lend to Robbie's narrative that he wanted to return to his family in Chicago, and the Bears needed a kicker. He told SF he'd sit out the season, so they'd be better off removing the F-tag and getting someone else.

Depending on how little Gould was willing to take, Bears could have signed him. Gould could have sat out the season. These things weren't likely, but plausible. Bears weren't 'used' like a lover, but he did use the Bears situation as leverage.

Heck, maybe Gould could have made a secret deal with Pace that he'd refuse to sign in SF and take a 1yr/2mil with Chi; figuring there was better than a 50% chance after the deadline, SF would have let him go and sign another kicker rather than pay two kickers and have an extra K on their roster. Maybe they agree to trade Gould for a 7th. = p

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This is really not worth arguing over but how do you not see it. He all but said I want to play for the Bears in 2019. He was not signing the franchise tag and using the Bears kicker situation as leverage knowing the Bears would love to have him. The Bears kicker is most likely not on the roster right now.
And again, what leverage? Gould can say he wants to play for the Bears, or any other team, all he wants. But there's only leberage if those other teams actually WANT him. There is ZERO evidence of that.

And even if Pace had said, "we will sign Gould if he's cut", SF is under no obligation to cut him. He can't choose to play anywhere else this next season.

Zero leverage. SF was willing to pay him millions on the FT. Now they are paying him millions for 2-4 years. It wasnt like they were raked over the coals here. He was always going to get paid. And not by us...

Last edited:

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
And again, what leverage? Gould can say he wants to play for the Bears, or any other team, all he wants. But there's only leberage if those other teams actually WANT him. There is ZERO evidence of that.

And even if Pace had said, "we will sign Gould if he's cut", SF is under no obligation to cut him. He can't choose to play anywhere else this next season.

Zero leverage. SF was willing to pay him millions on the FT. Now they are paying him millions for 2-4 years. It wasnt like they were raked over the coals here. He was always going to get paid. And not by us...

There’s no evidence because it would be called tampering.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
There’s no evidence because it would be called tampering.
But yet it was such a given that it forced SF to pony up millions to a kicker? OK...lol

Again, Gould wasn't able to go anywhere. He was, and is, the property of the niners. Unless they chose to cut him. It was SFs decision. Gould forced nothing.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
But yet it was such a given that it forced SF to pony up millions to a kicker? OK...lol

Again, Gould wasn't able to go anywhere. He was, and is, the property of the niners. Unless they chose to cut him. It was SFs decision. Gould forced nothing.

Gould sat out forcing the niners to pony up.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’m sorry only Zurlien or Tucker are worth that kind of money.

They have legs that can hit from over 60 yards and almost always kick touchbacks.

Do you even realize you just named two kickers that not only have a lower kicking percentage than Gould...but by a good margin too.

Gould: 97.1%
Tucker: 89.7%
Zuerlein: 87.1%

Reactions: DC

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If Pace was seriously considering getting Gould, it would’ve leaked in some fashion. There’s no evidence for it, and every Bears analyst said they didn’t see it happening and didn’t hear any rumblings.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Gould sat out forcing the niners to pony up.
So now you're (pun intended) moving the goalposts? Its No long the Bears were leveraged, but the holdout was the leverage? Fine.

I'm sure SF would have been fine waiting until September if they had to. He's a kicker. Like he needs camp...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If Pace was seriously considering getting Gould, it would’ve leaked in some fashion. There’s no evidence for it, and every Bears analyst said they didn’t see it happening and didn’t hear any rumblings.

Idk about that. Pace front office has been pretty well sealed up compared to the Michael McCauley clown show era and the Jerry Angelo bloopers

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
So now you're (pun intended) moving the goalposts? Its No long the Bears were leveraged, but the holdout was the leverage? Fine.

I'm sure SF would have been fine waiting until September if they had to. He's a kicker. Like he needs camp...

No I was responding to your last sentence in post #44.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Idk about that. Pace front office has been pretty well sealed up compared to the Michael McCauley clown show era and the Jerry Angelo bloopers

Not really. Even before the Khalil Mack trade, we knew the Bears were interested. Same with virtually every major acquisition, regardless of team. At least one Bears analyst who lives at Halas Hall would’ve said, “I’m hearing rumblings they’re interested in bringing Robbie back for the right price.” But no one did. Because there was nothing there.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gould’s career percentage is 87 percent, 3 points lower than Tucker.

I was quoting 2018 FG percentages. Even if you go to lifetime FG percentage its still not going to change anything.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not really. Even before the Khalil Mack trade, we knew the Bears were interested. Same with virtually every major acquisition, regardless of team. At least one Bears analyst who lives at Halas Hall would’ve said, “I’m hearing rumblings they’re interested in bringing Robbie back for the right price.” But no one did. Because there was nothing there.

It was globally known that Mack was available. The Niners never wavered that they wanted Robbie to play for them this year. We don’t know either way.

There wasn’t a single National or Bears beat reporter that had Trubisky linked to the Bears either.

Doesn’t mean anything.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
SO ROBBIE WAS A FUCKING LIAR WHEN HE SAID HE DIDNT WANT TO PLAY IN SF

That's not necessarily true. He could have meant it, but at the end of the day money talks. Robbie could of pulled a Le'veon and sat out the next year in angst or take a guaranteed 10.5 million dollars, with an opportunity to make 19 mil overall the next 4 years. There is nothing like security and when you are an aging kicker you take the money. Besides, even though I'm mad that Robbie won't be making a return, I don't think he would ever be as stupid to pull a Le'veon

Also, Robbie probably had a good sense of what the Bears and other teams were willing to pay and I'd bet the 49ers beat them out.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Our 2019 kicker is not on the team yet because he has not been cut in training camp by some team. Not joking! THis is the way it will play out

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lol at all the fools who believed he was ever coming back to Chicago.
so true. He NEVER had more than a 0% chance of ever coming back, but you can tell by the posts that sound so upset over this, who thought we had a shot of getting him. lol

TheWinman

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is really not worth arguing over but how do you not see it. He all but said I want to play for the Bears in 2019. He was not signing the franchise tag and using the Bears kicker situation as leverage knowing the Bears would love to have him. The Bears kicker is most likely not on the roster right now.

this is the part you don't get, the Bears NEVER wanted him, thus no leverage

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I admit it’s possible Pace was hatching a super secret plan in his super secret bunker without anyone else knowing about it. But absent some evidence, I’m not ready to say the Bears ever wanted him, again because there is no evidence that they ever did.

That some would see the lack of evidence as some kind of evidence that Pace was mounting a secret push for Gould...well, I suppose anything is possible.