Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It's plausible he wasnt just selling out as one "all about the money," or ONLY using the Bears as leverage.. perhaps he wanted to come to the Bears (for his family) and in secret correspondence learned the Bears were not willing or able to pay fair value or trade for him.. and thus he wisely worked out a deal with SF.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
so true. He NEVER had more than a 0% chance of ever coming back, but you can tell by the posts that sound so upset over this, who thought we had a shot of getting him. lol

For serious.

Some of the acrobatic stories in this thread about how it all went down. Really it was quite simple...Gould wanted a multi year contract...the Niners were wary of a long term deal. At the deadline...a compromise was reached.

The end.

Jeepers...reading around this board you would think the only two kickers on the planet were Robbie Gould and Cody Parkey.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’m sorry only Zurlien or Tucker are worth that kind of money.

They have legs that can hit from over 60 yards and almost always kick touchbacks.
I'll give you Tucker, but do you realize that Gould is 2nd ALL-TIME in FG%?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
yea....so i guess i'm gonna have to hit the bottle REAL HARD tonight.

Somebody tell me there's still some hope, maybe up the ante to a 6 round pick. It'll be a fifth if it was up to me and maybe another(on my worst day), I could of swore Pace would at least try with a 7th rounder and some.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Laughing at morons who think players on a franchise tag have leverage.

If they did, why does every player hate the franchise tag????

Gould had no leverage, he either was:

Signing a longer term contract (done)
Signing the tag
Or not playing and not getting paid this year

Pretty simple.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Signing the tag

Pretty simple.

Leverage?

Did you see how much he got paid? Gould got what he wanted. A long term deal.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Leverage?

Did you see how much he got paid? Gould got what he wanted. A long term deal.

He got 2 years; guaranteed.

He had no leverage.

There's a reason why players despise the tag; THEY HAVE NO LEVERAGE....he doesn't have 31 other teams bidding on his services; he has ONE.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
He got 2 years; guaranteed.

He had no leverage.

There's a reason why players despise the tag; THEY HAVE NO LEVERAGE....he doesn't have 31 other teams bidding on his services; he has ONE.

He is at the tail end of his career...he wanted more money he got it. If he didn't want the deal he would not have signed it. He got just over 10m guaranteed for possibly 2 years of work.......that's really solid ...

He is one of the top 5 per year paid kickers in the NFL with the second most guaranteed money.....

For a guy who supposedly didn't have any leverage that is a pretty good deal.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'll give you Tucker, but do you realize that Gould is 2nd ALL-TIME in FG%?

I’m talking today’s Robbie Gould who is 36 years old and doesn’t have the leg he used to.

Zuerlien is 31 and Tucker is 29 respectively. Their legs are strong. I can’t see Gould making a 57 yarder like Zuerlien or 60 yarder like Tucker today.

I’m sorry. Father Time is undefeated. Paying Gould at least $10 million for 2 years is too much especially at this stage of his career.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Already posted it way earlier. You're making baseless assumptions given that Gould outkicked them both in 2018 if you're looking at their FG percentages. All the 9ers did was pony up dough for 2 more guaranteed seasons and unless his leg falls off he isn't going to suddenly drop off a cliff in production next season or the following season. You can quote ages until you're blue in the face. Doesn't matter for a position that isn't taking contact.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Signing the tag

Pretty simple.
I don't know why 'you guys' want to plant your flag 'F-tag players have no leverage'. They have greatly reduced leverage.

They're leverage is sitting out the year. Bell did it. It hurt Pit; that's leverage. Assuming Bell is up for F-tag again, teams will certainly think twice about using it on him. That's new leverage Bell earned the hard way.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not to mention San Fran literally couldn't afford to let Robbie sit the season out. They no matter what needed a kicker and if they allowed Gould to sit out then they would be in the exact same shit show the Bears are in with trying to find a kicker right now. That is the definition of leverage. He played chicken and won.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Signing the tag

Pretty simple.
yep, that sums up it up nicely. And for someone who has a family to feed, the last one was not an option for Robbie

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Already posted it way earlier. You're making baseless assumptions given that Gould outkicked them both in 2018 if you're looking at their FG percentages. All the 9ers did was pony up dough for 2 more guaranteed seasons and unless his leg falls off he isn't going to suddenly drop off a cliff in production next season or the following season. You can quote ages until you're blue in the face. Doesn't matter for a position that isn't taking contact.

Gould has a better fg% last year than those two is because Gould isn’t asked to make longer FGs than Tucker or Zuerlien. Gould only attempted 2 50+ fgs last year compared to 7 for Tucker and 6 for Zuerlien.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gould has a better fg% last year than those two is because Gould isn’t asked to make longer FGs than Tucker or Zuerlien. Gould only attempted 2 50+ fgs last year compared to 7 for Tucker and 6 for Zuerlien.

So you're trying to use low percentage situational kicks as a basis for why one kicker is worth their contract and not the other. Literally the least used and least successful kicks that are attempted? Still can't agree with you there. Sure its nice to know your kicker may be able to bang one from that distance but Robbie has proven time and time again to be able to make game winning kicks while also converting on most of his FGs. In the end that is all you're looking for from your kicker. Isn't it?

Oh by the way, he made both of those 50+ yard field goals. Not surprised you didn't mention that.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you're trying to use low percentage situational kicks as a basis for why one kicker is worth their contract and not the other. Literally the least used and least successful kicks that are attempted? Still can't agree with you there. Sure its nice to know your kicker may be able to bang one from that distance but Robbie has proven time and time again to be able to make game winning kicks while also converting on most of his FGs. In the end that is all you're looking for from your kicker. Isn't it?

Oh by the way, he made both of those 50+ yard field goals. Not surprised you didn't mention that.
Probably because both of those were like 53 yards at most.Nit like a 59 yarder or 58 yarder. Also Gould missed 2 extra points last year as well. Also what was his % of touchbacks compared to average?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If I am paying a kicker, I am not looking at secondary skills as a basis for whether or not he is worth the contract being negotiated.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I don't know why 'you guys' want to plant your flag 'F-tag players have no leverage'. They have greatly reduced leverage.

They're leverage is sitting out the year. Bell did it. It hurt Pit; that's leverage. Assuming Bell is up for F-tag again, teams will certainly think twice about using it on him. That's new leverage Bell earned the hard way.

Yeah...connor was awful for pitt last year.

If you think sitting out the entire year is leverage you're kidding yourself.

And a second franchise tag scenario.....for a running back??....good luck.

Again....if its such a great thing to be tagged; why dont you hear players gleefully rejoicing when it happens?

I stead you hear the team reps discussing ways to get rid of the tag in the next agreement ....sounds like they dont think its..... LEVERAGE.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace was never going to give up so much as even a nut scratch to bring back Gould. GM's have their egos to protect. Note to GM, if you find a kicker who succeeds at Soldier Field, hold onto to that fucker until the tread separates from the wheel.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They're leverage is sitting out the year.

I don't view that as leverage, I view "quitting/retiring" as an option. Pretty much every person in every profession can say "Give me more money or I'll quit!". The whole purpose of the NFL franchise tag was to eliminate leverage.