49ers reach long-term deal with Robbie Gould

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yeah...connor was awful for pitt last year.

If you think sitting out the entire year is leverage you're kidding yourself.

And a second franchise tag scenario.....for a running back??....good luck.

Again....if its such a great thing to be tagged; why dont you hear players gleefully rejoicing when it happens?

I stead you hear the team reps discussing ways to get rid of the tag in the next agreement ....sounds like they dont think its..... LEVERAGE.
Of course. No need to throw up a strawman argument. Nobody said getting F-tagged adds leverage, nor that any player wants it. They don't.

I said an F-tag player has greatly reduced leverage... but they still have one item of leverage: sitting out. A player threatens to do it because it's leverage. I doubt we disagree on this. Through the whole contract dispute going into Game 1, you don't think Pit was indifferent to Bell sitting out the year. You don't tag and pay a RB $15mil/1yr if you're indifferent to them sitting out.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Gould had no leverage he would not have gotten the deal he did.....his leverage was his play and the ability to withhold it from the 49ers.....

Saying a franchise tagged player has no leverage is false. He basically has one avenue of leverage. And Gould used his.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The entire "leverage" topic came about when a certain poster said Robbie leveraged the Bears to get a better contract from SF. I guess the topic went the current direction to attempt to cover up the foolishness of that initial statement...

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
quit trolling. I'm trying to READ

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Plus he flips the guy off at the end. I’m sold. Bearsssssssss

17 for 22 at Iowa last year, 77 percent

8 of 9 from beyond 40 (his only miss was beyond 50)

But just 4 of 8 in the 30s.

Well those are horrible stats...no thanks, move on, next. I saw a tweet or some shit the other day saying that Clev would end up keeping Austin Seibert (who they drafted in the 5th round in 2019 draft) and cutting Greg Joseph and he thinks Joseph will be the Bears kicker this year.

Edit: Well damn, So i just looked up G.Joseph's numbers for Clev last year and they aren't so great either.

In 14 games he was 17-20 and his 3 misses were all over 40 yards.

The bad part is he was 25-29 in extra points. You can't miss 4 extra points, shit you shouldn't ever miss an extra point if you're a NFL kicker.

Starting to think if Pineiro doesn't work out that we just grab one of the old vets off the scrap heap like Matt Bryant and SeaBass.

Last edited:

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
we're not picking up 2 kickers.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
The entire "leverage" topic came about when a certain poster said Robbie leveraged the Bears to get a better contract from SF. I guess the topic went the current direction to attempt to cover up the foolishness of that initial statement...
You sure they didn't say Robbie beveraged the beers?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well those are horrible stats...no thanks, move on, next. I saw a tweet or some shit the other day saying that Clev would end up keeping Austin Seibert (who they drafted in the 5th round in 2019 draft) and cutting Greg Joseph and he thinks Joseph will be the Bears kicker this year.

Edit: Well damn, So i just looked up G.Joseph's numbers for Clev last year and they aren't so great either.

The bad part is he was 25-29 in extra points. You can't miss 4 extra points, shit you shouldn't ever miss an extra point if you're a NFL kicker.

Starting to think if Pineiro doesn't work out that we just grab one of the old vets off the scrap heap like Matt Bryant and SeaBass.

Gould's college average was 63.9%

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Let’s just go with a young like Fry and Piniero and see what happens.

Gould was doing construction before he became goat for the Bears. Tucker was an undrafted FA.

Sometimes it takes lightning in the bottle to find a PK. There are 28 other teams looking for one as well.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Funny you should say that. I'm pretty sure I had heard on the radio that the league as a whole converted more 30 yard field goals than before yet also missed more extra points than before. Pretty much a double edged sword there. Longer extra points has forced kickers to practice from that range more than ever before except they still manage to miss more extra points despite them being from that same range (33 yards). It was certainly a confusing result.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Gould's college average was 63.9%

I know. Here's a article that talks about some of the better kickers in our league and how they weren't all that great when in college. Gould made just 53.8% of his field goals his senior year at Penn St.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is a funny Pat McAfee story about how when he was drafted he was asked if he could punt and he didn't know shit about punting because his coaches during the combine and pre-draft time told him he needed to practice hard at one position to make it in the NFL so he practiced his kicking. Turned out no one wanted him as a kicker and the Colts were interested in him as a punter/holder. Adam Vinateri had to teach him how to hold.

He also had gone 9 for 9 making every single kick before finally missing from 70 yards going wide right but still having the distance on the kick...and every single franchise passed on that performance as a kicker.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Funny you should say that. I'm pretty sure I had heard on the radio that the league as a whole converted more 30 yard field goals than before yet also missed more extra points than before. Pretty much a double edged sword there. Longer extra points has forced kickers to practice from that range more than ever before except they still manage to miss more extra points despite them being from that same range (33 yards). It was certainly a confusing result.

It was a crazy season for many kickers last year. Some of the best in the game missed multiple extra points and/or field goals and some missed multiple kicks in the same game. Guys like Gostkowski, M.Crosby, C.Boswell and others who've had pretty great careers had bad misses last year.

greg23

Liked Posts:

This

Sitting out is an option but it isnt much if any leverage unless said player is a franchise QB

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I’m talking today’s Robbie Gould who is 36 years old and doesn’t have the leg he used to.

Zuerlien is 31 and Tucker is 29 respectively. Their legs are strong. I can’t see Gould making a 57 yarder like Zuerlien or 60 yarder like Tucker today.

I’m sorry. Father Time is undefeated. Paying Gould at least $10 million for 2 years is too much especially at this stage of his career.

IN YOUR FACE

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Robbie Gould is one of the best kickers to ever play in the NFL.

The Bears let him go.

Let's let it go.