A Nick Foles trade - Could Bears make similar move that Houston and Cleveland did?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
A couple years ago the Texans and Browns made a trade that involved:

Browns received:
Brock Osweiler
2nd round pick
6th round pick

Texans received:
4th round pick

This was done in order to shed Osweiler’s 16 million guaranteed salary.

Could the Jags be willing to give up picks in order to move the contract of Foles in a similar deal with Gardner Minshew there as a possible starter?

Bears replenish draft picks and get competition for Trubisky.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Browns received:
Brock Osweiler
2nd round pick
6th round pick

Texans received:
4th round pick

Could the Jags be willing to give up picks in order to move the contract of Foles in a similar deal with Gardner Minshew there as a possible starter?

Not a bad idea but at the time, the Browns had a lot of cap space to spend. Bears dont have that luxury this offseason

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Browns received:
Brock Osweiler
2nd round pick
6th round pick

Texans received:
4th round pick

I doubt it. Bears don't really have the space to make room for his 15 mil (all guaranteed) and I know they could make room for it but Pace would be saying that the problems on offense was not talent realted but staff related and now that Helfrich/ Hiestand are gone, we will be ok on offense. A very tough sell to my mind.

Also, Foles isn't struggling in JAX like Osweiler was in HOU. He still scraped together a meh 84 passer rating and is ok backing up Minshew.

HOU was desparate to get rid of Osweiler and his horrible 72 passer rating. With Minshew's arrival and Foles' ok stats, Jaguars feel no such pressure imo to dump Foles in the same way the Texans felt.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Foles is pretty much untradeable this year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The Foles situation is a LOT different from the Osweiler one. Foles is actually an accomplished QB who has had bouts of good football and obviously won a Superbowl and MVP. Osweiler was almost immediately cut after the trade, whereas anyone trading for Foles would at least give him a shot to start. Not to mention, the Texans had just drafted Watson in the top 12. Minshew looks like he might be able to give average QB play for super cheap, but he doesn't exactly have the same pedigree as Watson and isn't a guy a team should turn the offense over to for the next 4 years.

That being said, the Jags do have a couple 1st round picks. If they use one of those picks on a QB or go all-in on Minshew for some crazy reason, then they won't have to give up nearly as much as Houston did, because Foles does have actual value, it's just not the same as he's getting paid.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They could make it work if decent picks were coming back.

But as said above, it would be a huge chunk of their free agent budget. You would almost have to write off a serious upgrade at RG or TE.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Signing a 20+ m QB would seriously limit what the Bears could do fill all the other glaring holes.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
They could make it work if decent picks were coming back.

But as said above, it would be a huge chunk of their free agent budget. You would almost have to write off a serious upgrade at RG or TE.

I would think it'd be something like Jags give up a 4th and Foles, Bears give up a 6th.

But I think they'd be fine. The team trading for Foles, I believe, would only be on the hook for 15M for 2020. RG and TE are the cheapest positions to fill in free agency. I think they'd be fine, and that's even assuming they want to sign a FA instead of draft those positions. I think the positions that would suffer are ILB, edge, CB and depth in general.

And the ultimate point is that if you upgrade QB, who cares about the other positions. With the OL and TE being a mess, and several injuries on defense, the team is probably in the playoffs with competent QB play. That's worth way more than upgrading RG and TE.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Signing a 20+ m QB would seriously limit what the Bears could do fill all the other glaring holes.
Wouldn't cost the Bears 20 mil+. More around 15 per year I'd say as the team Foles would be traded to would not have anything to do with the signing bonus or prorated yearly cap hits from it. Wouldn't want him though. It's not a move the Bears should make.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foles was bad last year...He had less TDs thrown per pass than Trubisky....He had less yards per game and had a nearly identical actual yards per attempt.

Wasn't everyone complaining about Trubisky's lack of TDs and short gains?

Why do Bears fans want to bring in worse performing QBs than Trubisky....

Dalton, now Foles....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would think it'd be something like Jags give up a 4th and Foles, Bears give up a 6th.

But I think they'd be fine. The team trading for Foles, I believe, would only be on the hook for 15M for 2020. RG and TE are the cheapest positions to fill in free agency. I think they'd be fine, and that's even assuming they want to sign a FA instead of draft those positions. I think the positions that would suffer are ILB, edge, CB and depth in general.

And the ultimate point is that if you upgrade QB, who cares about the other positions. With the OL and TE being a mess, and several injuries on defense, the team is probably in the playoffs with competent QB play. That's worth way more than upgrading RG and TE.

They are going to have like 20-25 million in a functional free agent budget and they cannot backload deals.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't cost the Bears 20 mil+. More around 15 per year I'd say as the team Foles would be traded to would not have anything to do with the signing bonus or prorated yearly cap hits from it. Wouldn't want him though. It's not a move the Bears should make.

a rare occurrence I agree with you

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I'm trusting Pace to sign a RG, RT, and TE or would prefer the draft lottery, I'll take picks in the lottery and Foles.

Cuz Trubs plus Pace free agents I already know what happens.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Foles was bad last year...He had less TDs thrown per pass than Trubisky....He had less yards per game and had a nearly identical actual yards per attempt.

Wasn't everyone complaining about Trubisky's lack of TDs and short gains?

Why do Bears fans want to bring in worse performing QBs than Trubisky....

Dalton, now Foles....

Agreed. His deep ball is a dying duck and the only time he ever had success was in Philly where receivers were wide open for him as if there was a green angel that parted open zones for him and only is bothered to be awake when Foles wears Eagles green and makes backup money.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
They are going to have like 20-25 million in a functional free agent budget and they cannot backload deals.

Doesn't change anything I said. And they can backload deals. Only significant guarantees they have beyond 2021 are Mack, Jackson and Whitehair. They can do whatever they want with contracts (within reason) as long as they don't have a big guaranteed money at QB.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Nick Fools for $20 million

only the Jags would get sucked into that type of contract....i hope!

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Foles is pretty much untradeable this year.
A trade would actually give the Jag's back ~$3M in cap space.

The problem is someone has to take on his fully guaranteed, $15.125M salary.

In another thread I did my little thing on how much cap space the Bears have. Long story short, they don't have much, so a move like this is highly unlikely.

If Foles gets traded to a team it will be someone going full on money ball. A team that's rebuilding with cap space to spare. Dolphins if they also draft Tua and dump Fitzmagic? Maybe the Bucs if they don't extend Winston? Chargers could be a possibility, but I think with them trying to attract an LA fan base Foles isn't the guy you get behind. Crazy enough, maybe the Pats? If they don't have Tom then why not? Get a 2nd in the process?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
A trade would actually give the Jag's back ~$3M in cap space.

The problem is someone has to take on his fully guaranteed, $15.125M salary.

In another thread I did my little thing on how much cap space the Bears have. Long story short, they don't have much.

If Foles gets traded to a team it will be someone going full on money ball. A team that's rebuilding with cap space to spare. Dolphins if they also draft Tua and dump Fitzmagic? Maybe the Bucs if they don't extend Winston? Chargers could be a possibility, but I think with them trying to attract an LA fan base Foles isn't the guy you get behind. Crazy enough, maybe the Pats? If they don't have Tom then why not? Get a 2nd in the process?

I think Foles is there another year