A Nick Foles trade - Could Bears make similar move that Houston and Cleveland did?

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
The Foles situation is a LOT different from the Osweiler one. Foles is actually an accomplished QB who has had bouts of good football and obviously won a Superbowl and MVP. Osweiler was almost immediately cut after the trade, whereas anyone trading for Foles would at least give him a shot to start. Not to mention, the Texans had just drafted Watson in the top 12. Minshew looks like he might be able to give average QB play for super cheap, but he doesn't exactly have the same pedigree as Watson and isn't a guy a team should turn the offense over to for the next 4 years.

That being said, the Jags do have a couple 1st round picks. If they use one of those picks on a QB or go all-in on Minshew for some crazy reason, then they won't have to give up nearly as much as Houston did, because Foles does have actual value, it's just not the same as he's getting paid.

None of that matters when it's a salary dump.

Think same with what the Blackhawks had to do back in the day. Most trades were one sided cause the Blackhawks had zero leverage.

Jim Hendry and the Cubs did same with the Pirates. Got themselves a 23 year old Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton for Matt Bruback and Bobby Hill cause the Pirates wanted to dump salary and there were only a handful of big market teams like the Cubs to take on that load.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think Foles is there another year
I do as well.

Everyone lost their shit over a mustachio wearing Minshew, but let's not forget they were 6-6 with him as the starter and despite the NFL getting things wrong there were reasons he was a 6th round pick. After only 4 starts are they willing to undo all the research and financial commitments they invested in Foles?

Here's a tasty little nugget, in those 4 starts he had a passer rating grater than 92 in 2 of those games. His passer rating on the season was still 84.6 and a QBR of 33.6.

Just to compare, Minshew had a passer rating of 91.2 and a QBR of 45.2.

Do those 4 games with Foles AND those 8 games of Foles give you enough of a sample size to be confident in anything?

Anyway, Minshew could easily be the next Tom Brady, but let's remember going into year 2 Tom wasn't the starter. It wasn't until Drew Bledsoe got hurt in the second game of that season that opened the door for Brady. I'd add, Brady as the starter went 11-3. Minshew in his first chance went 6-6. Big difference there.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
A trade would actually give the Jag's back ~$3M in cap space.

The problem is someone has to take on his fully guaranteed, $15.125M salary.

In another thread I did my little thing on how much cap space the Bears have. Long story short, they don't have much, so a move like this is highly unlikely.

If Foles gets traded to a team it will be someone going full on money ball. A team that's rebuilding with cap space to spare. Dolphins if they also draft Tua and dump Fitzmagic? Maybe the Bucs if they don't extend Winston? Chargers could be a possibility, but I think with them trying to attract an LA fan base Foles isn't the guy you get behind. Crazy enough, maybe the Pats? If they don't have Tom then why not? Get a 2nd in the process?

The Jags would leave close to $20mil in dead $ for 2020, likely not happening. And he's not really good enough to trade at his current cost either.

I saw your other thread, could be, but the Bears could clear far more than you are suggesting if they want to. Not saying they will (imo they would be very dumb to) but they could easily absorb that contract.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I saw your other thread, could be, but the Bears could clear far more than you are suggesting if they want to. Not saying they will (imo they would be very dumb to) but they could easily absorb that contract.
The whole purpose of the other thread is to temper expectations on how much cap space you should expect. I just saw too many mock offseasons that were based on highly unrealistic ways to create cap space this year.

Less expected cap space = lower FA expectations.

I'm just thinking a couple months out when people are screaming that they didn't sign Brady, Clowney, AJ Green, etc... Pump the breaks and hope to get some of the breaks you got in 2018.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why do Bears fans want to bring in worse performing QBs than Trubisky....

Because people's branes are so broken, that they've convinced themselves that Trubisky is the worst QB in the history of the NFL, and that there is no way that his production could get better with better performances from coaches and players around him, better personnel decisions(including having NFL-level TEs and oline), better playcalling, better gameplanning, another year under his belt, etc.

I mean, I don't have high hopes. And I'd love for us to replace him with a clear better option. Nick Foles ain't that dude. Nor is 90% of the QBs that people talk about signing or trading for. They just aren't...

Honestly, people think EVERYTHING is on the QB. Everything. Nick Foles won a Super Bowl. He could win a Super Bowl here. We have a defense. Derrrrrrp.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Are we guaranteed Nick's good luck on the deal? As a long term starter, not a destination.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Foles was bad last year...He had less TDs thrown per pass than Trubisky....He had less yards per game and had a nearly identical actual yards per attempt.

Wasn't everyone complaining about Trubisky's lack of TDs and short gains?

Why do Bears fans want to bring in worse performing QBs than Trubisky....

Dalton, now Foles....

How I imagine Foles coming to the Bears and showing off his ring:

jive

Liked Posts:
If we were to take on Foles cap hit, we wouldn't be able to afford to resign all of our key UFAs on D like Nick WIlliams, Kevin Pierre-Louis, and Nick Kwiatkoski. I'd rather have those guys than some overpriced journeyman QB.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Foles is like the last guy at a gang bang. Steps in after the work has been done and looks like a hero. Were they really doing much with Foles as the starter before he got hurt? They were 0-4 and he was down to an average completion rate of 6.38 yards per attempt.
I thought we should be happy we did not trade for Foles last year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Would take that trade in a heart beat.

It was a thinker for me but didn't take much thinking to be all for making that trade because i love Burrow and understand how important the QB position is. You get a great QB and you're set as long as you have an owner that doesn't mind spending to the max, a GM that will make moves to put pieces around that QB while not forgetting about the defense and a coach that knows how to use that QB and how to run an offense then you're set.

Unfortunately Cincy doesn't agree to that trade so we're just living in fantasy land.