A telling stat for Trubisky

Monster

Liked Posts:
Interesting but I’d guess that type of stat correlates with most QBs.
When losing you tend to throw more.
Stanford has HOF passing numbers for this reason.

That said Nagy needs to plan better given Mitch’s obvious limitations. Don’t plan for what you want... plan for what you got.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
totally disagree you don't bail on the run if you are down a TD and depending on time left in the game you don't bail when down 2 tds.

the ENTIRE point is Nagy has a documented habit of bailing on the run IN CLOSE GAMES.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Most team tend to run the ball more when they have the lead.
Most teams that have the lead tend to win.

Correlation does not always equal cause.

It's normal that teams will throw more in games where they're losing. I think you're putting the cart before the horse with this. I don't think the wins and losses are a result of throwing more/less. The other way around.

The problem I have with both of you rationalizing this, is that we're talking about being down by 4 points for more than half the game. We're not talking about being down 2 or 3 touchdowns late in the game. When the other team takes a 4 point lead in the 2nd quarter, you don't say, "fuck it" and completely abandon the run game. That's just stupid.

And I'm also not absolving Trubisky of all blame here. In another thread, I was talking about how he was as bad as the oline. It's just that Nagy was worse.

This is a common theme on CCS. You're either all in on thinking Trubisky sucks, or you're a homer. Sorry, but no. I don't have it in me to overlook the other turds on the team and tunnel vision hate at our turd of a QB, just because that's what most people do. No matter who the QB is. And the only reason I've brought up Nagy so much, is because on this forum, you have to wade through the endless mire of "IT'S ALL DA QB'S FAULT DERP!" to get to any thoughtful and objective analysis. If I don't state my point as often as I can, it gets lost. Kinda like this thread did while everyone was in meltdown and freakout mode in other threads.

Monster

Liked Posts:
totally disagree you don't bail on the run if you are down a TD and depending on time left in the game you don't bail when down 2 tds.

the ENTIRE point is Nagy has a documented habit of bailing on the run IN CLOSE GAMES.

Agree... in close games certainly.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Interesting but I’d guess that type of stat correlates with most QBs.
When losing you tend to throw more.
Stanford has HOF passing numbers for this reason.

That said Nagy needs to plan better given Mitch’s obvious limitations. Don’t plan for what you want... plan for what you got.

I also think it means that unless you have a generational type of talent in a QB, you want to have a balanced offense. Trubisky is not a generational type of talent. Keep it balanced, mitigate his deficiencies by using the running game, and using his legs, and we can win with Trubisky.

Monster

Liked Posts:
I also think it means that unless you have a generational type of talent in a QB, you want to have a balanced offense. Trubisky is not a generational type of talent. Keep it balanced, mitigate his deficiencies by using the running game, and using his legs, and we can win with Trubisky.

This needs to turn into the Monty/Cohen show....
With special guest... Defense.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This needs to turn into the Monty/Cohen show....
With special guest... Defense.

We have all these playmakers. Get them the ball in short situations, whether it's hand-offs, pitches, screens, quick passes into the flat, etc. Let those playmakers make plays. That will open things up more for Trubisky. And when Trubisky gets going, that will open more things up for the running game. Oh, there I go again talking about balance. Sorry about that! :p

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have said it before, we have been outschemed the last 2 games in a row, and both of those games we had no Trey Burton.

Then it is criminal that Pace did not do more to back him up.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

7:30 mark in the video. Takeo Spikes breaks it down for us on how Nagy has used Trubisky...

30 or less pass attempts:
8-0 record
16 TDs
4 INTs

More than 30 pass attempts:
3-5 record
9 TDs
9 INTs

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record with blaming Nagy. And people think I'm trying to make excuses for Trubisky. But the fact is, I'm a Chicago Bears fan first and foremost. I want the Bears to fucking win at all costs. And I believe the way to do that is with balance on offense. I wish Trubisky could throw it 50 times per game and just wreck defenses. But guess what? That's a fucking pipe dream. Balance on offense is the only way this team has a chance to succeed.

Ty for your intelligent post.

The numbers never lie.

If you run the ball the defense cheats towards the line. If you pass the ball the defense cheats towards the endzone. If you balance your offense it becomes a guessing game for the defense regardless of success. Obviously a good ammount of execution leads to a great % of execution later.

This is scientific and only HOF level QBs seem to be able to overcome this reality. But thats what makes them HOF QBs.

You've not even given the QB a chance to show he can run a regular pro offense and youre running one l Iike he's proven he's a first ballot HOFer.

Balance!

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears need to run more. I think we all agree.

That stat doesn't mean too much to me. Did you know that the Bears are 25-0 the last 25 times they've knelt down to end the game? We should do that every time.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Bears need to run more. I think we all agree.

That stat doesn't mean too much to me. Did you know that the Bears are 25-0 the last 25 times they've knelt down to end the game? We should do that every time.

The only issue I have with those stats, is the sample size. A larger sample size would give us a clearer picture. And I'm pretty sure that Cutler's numbers were similar to this. You run a balanced offense with Cutler, you have a chance to win. You ask him to be a gunslinger, and you turn the opposing DBs into receivers. Lol.

Same with Trubisky. Except maybe a few less INTs.

I just compared Trubisky to Cutler. Anyone that thinks I'm making excuses for Trubisky can kiss my grits. :eek:

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
On the score, I think it was Olin, but they were talking about how every time Nagy called an RPO, Mitch kept passing but some of those should have been runs. The lack of balance is not all Nagy's fault.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
On the score, I think it was Olin, but they were talking about how every time Nagy called an RPO, Mitch kept passing but some of those should have been runs. The lack of balance is not all Nagy's fault.

Still Nagy's fault. You take away the option.

Mitchell does not seem the type to tell Nagy to STFU.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

Yes it is.

An RPO means that the defense dared him to run it. So he was forced to pass. The edge rushers understanding this merely playef the run while coverage in the secondary played the pass.

Green bay didn't edge rush. They just played gap sound football at the line to defend the run and knew hed have to pull it up and throw it into 6 DBs.

This is again. Bad playcalling. Its moncomittal playcalling. It confuses the QB more than the defense.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am bumping sevvy's thread, as it is a good one. And accurate. And team's don't need to get pass happy unless they are down a lot. This did not happen once last year, and probably will not this year. Actually happened maybe only a few times since Trestman and a few of his totally getting blown out games.

The best way to accommodate this defense is ball control, limited turnovers, and some scoring. I want the Bears to win, how they get their not important. Use your head Nagy.

ChicagoBearsSinceBirth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We drafted this guy name David he is suppose to be so great well lets use him till Mitch gets his shit together

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
That's true, but passing that much is justified when you're behind 20, not 4.

The second you are down doesnt dictate that you must pass at a higher percentage or lobsidedly high.

In fact successful teams run more