Addison Russell is gone; Cubs make moves

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Expected. Potentially 4 million for a guy who isn't going to see the field and won't bring back anything in trade. I can hope he gets his life in order and if that future includes baseball, fine.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably a year late, but at least they did it. Let him go somewhere else, even if he ever figures it out we did the right thing letting him go.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Probably closer to 5 mil and seems Houston is kicking the tires.

That is better spent on arb increases.

I see depth as

LF Schwarber
CF Happ
RF Heyward
OF Almora
OF Kemp

3B Bryant
SS Baez
2B Bote
1B Rizzo
UI Descalso
UI Garcia
UI Short

C: Contreras
C: Caratini

Nico I just see them delaying for control.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I sure hope we never see Robel Garcia in a cubs uniform anymore.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I sure hope we never see Robel Garcia in a cubs uniform anymore.

Not sure on him. He feels like a one trick type. I don't see him having a MLB career and he has the feel of a Japan All star.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Not sure on him. He feels like a one trick type. I don't see him having a MLB career and he has the feel of a Japan All star.

So they why did you put him on the roster as the utility guy?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So they why did you put him on the roster as the utility guy?

Just current 40 man depth. He is on it. When they sign someone else or trade for it or Nico wins the job then the roster shuffles.

I just see it as of today that. Nico could win 2B and then everything shifts.

The roster will be at 26 men so it is possible the keep him as a PH also. 1 trick is good for PH.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is tearing up the Dominican league. I would assume their thought is he hasn’t a lot of professional time. Tons of power but still striking out. His upside is worth a look for a minute

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Just current 40 man depth. He is on it. When they sign someone else or trade for it or Nico wins the job then the roster shuffles.

I just see it as of today that. Nico could win 2B and then everything shifts.

The roster will be at 26 men so it is possible the keep him as a PH also. 1 trick is good for PH.

Not from what we saw last year. You go back to one month of Nico, we saw enough months of Garcia, one trick is good for PH when the film was not out on him. Once that got around the league, he was worthless.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still remember the game when they celebrated winning the ship. PA announcer announcing everyone then it gets to Russell.

"Your shortstop and future MVP. Addison Russell."

They day the music died

CSF77

Liked Posts:
He is tearing up the Dominican league. I would assume their thought is he hasn’t a lot of professional time. Tons of power but still striking out. His upside is worth a look for a minute

Still winter league pitching is a fraction of major league pitching. It like giving 1 gun to a red neck and another to a seal. Same ammo

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not from what we saw last year. You go back to one month of Nico, we saw enough months of Garcia, one trick is good for PH when the film was not out on him. Once that got around the league, he was worthless.

I can't remember what his weakness was. I know there was a pitch that he was vulnerable to and he go beat on it frequently.

I see him as a mistake hitter myself. That is why he is eating up lesser arm because they do not possess refined command.

It is going from aiming for the plate. To aiming to a zone as big as a basket ball. To aiming to a spot as big as a baseball. Then depth of the break of their pitch. Throwing all pitches in the same arm slot.

The talent gap is vast even from AAA to MLB. That is why players go-to Japan and put up solid numbers and come back fighting for a reserve job.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All that said. Russell gone awesome.

I would rather have Short in as a UI starting this year. He is a glove 1st type. Will cost league min.

Nico should start in AAA unless he flat out beats Bote for 2B. I would look at walk rates from both as key. Ideally you would want Nico around 10% so he can lead off. Bote is a 8 hitter. He is the safe bet.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
They just cannot put themselves up against the cap again with no room for June when we know what is missing, and going after Nick, Cole, Wheeler, whoever else has a name that the sheeple want here is going to be a mistake. I do not really know what kind of guarantee Ross got about the roster, if any, but you would think part of it would have be having a shot with the 2016 core.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
All that said. Russell gone awesome.

I would rather have Short in as a UI starting this year. He is a glove 1st type. Will cost league min.

Nico should start in AAA unless he flat out beats Bote for 2B. I would look at walk rates from both as key. Ideally you would want Nico around 10% so he can lead off. Bote is a 8 hitter. He is the safe bet.

Tim Anderson just won the American League batting title with a 2.9 walk rate.

sometimes it is worth it.

Nico took 3 walks in 82 at bats, thats a little ahead of 2.9, but also drove in 17 runs.

I am not a fan of the superstars walking when they need to drive the ball somewhere and get runs across the plate or the pocket protector guys demanding players taking walks. He has the mindset of Theriot, he is small, not the fastest guy, so just serving the ball where there are no defenders is a pretty good definition of a leadoff hitter, whether he gets there by taking a walk or hitting the baseball.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I still remember the game when they celebrated winning the ship. PA announcer announcing everyone then it gets to Russell.

"Your shortstop and future MVP. Addison Russell."

They day the music died

You mean, Len Kasper?