Alex Bars Breakdown

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I charted Alex Bars at LT in the 2nd half.

I had him on the field for 27 snaps. 9 runs and 18 passes.

Runs: 9 total, 3 negative, 4 positive.

-He got caught by the increased speed of the guy across from him.
-He has natural power and size so on a couple down blocks he was really moving guys.
-Nice and smooth to the 2nd level on one run that was stuffed behind him.

Pass: 18 total, 4 negative, 11 positive.

-He was consistently in the right position. He took a nice angle back and forced the DE to come into his body.
-He uses his long arms and has a strong punch and did a nice job of getting his hands on the defender.
-Did a really nice job on stunts and showed good awareness and physicality.

-His feet are clunky and guys with better speed and technique are going to hurt him with his clunky kick slide.
-Struggled to redirect a couple of times on inside rushes.
-Has no athletic ability to spare, was late out of his stance once and was beat pretty quickly.

Overall

-I was encouraged by what I saw, but I am not sure if he is a guy who can start for 2-3 games if Leno goes down.
-A couple of issues will come with reps and technique work.
-He is a naturally powerful guy so that seems to help him from getting bull rushed when his feet are being clunky.
-I would play him the entire 4th pre-season game at LT and gets get him as many reps as possible so he can iron out that kick slide and look a little more fluid and natural doing it.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering, he hasn't played the T position in a while, damn good for him stepping in and stepping up vs. equals (3rd rounders). Think he makes the squad.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think he didn't look so bad at all in the 2nd half playing LT and watched it real close doing a lot of rewinding to watch each play 2 or 3 times ansd i would definitely not take the chance of playing that guy for all 4 quarters cause he's definitely one of our top backups whether it's at G or T. That would be crazy IMO to play him the whole game especially in the last game of the preseaon. Maybe play him the 1st half and that's it for me.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Is there no thread about this Tommy Doles kid that we got off waivers? I sifted through and didn't see anything and have been off here for a while but didn't see anything. He was with us before.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there no thread about this Tommy Doles kid that we got off waivers? I sifted through and didn't see anything and have been off here for a while but didn't see anything. He was with us before.

Pretty sure he’s here to take snaps for the 4th preseason game

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

-He has natural power and size so on a couple down blocks he was really moving guys.

-He was consistently in the right position. He took a nice angle back and forced the DE to come into his body.
-He uses his long arms and has a strong punch and did a nice job of getting his hands on the defender.

-His feet are clunky and guys with better speed and technique are going to hurt him with his clunky kick slide.
-Has no athletic ability to spare, was late out of his stance once and was beat pretty quickly.

Overall

-I was encouraged by what I saw, but I am not sure if he is a guy who can start for 2-3 games if Leno goes down.
-He is a naturally powerful guy so that seems to help him from getting bull rushed when his feet are being clunky.
-I would play him the entire 4th pre-season game at LT and gets get him as many reps as possible so he can iron out that kick slide and look a little more fluid and natural doing it.
Was really unimpressed with him. Technique is terrible. Relies on "catching guys" and never really makes first contact in pass pro. Bends way too much at the hips, not enough at the knees. Good in run blocking when he can maul guys(clearly a guard mentality). Kick slide is BRUTAL.

Just to stiff and not athletic enough to play tackle in the NFL

The play that best sums up Bars pass pro issues: go to the 4th quarter, 13:23 to play.

Last edited:

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Kyle Long ain’t moving outside, even in a pinch. Whitehair is their emergency tackle, and Bars/Coward/Clemmings jump in at guard.

The Bears really found something with Bars. That’s a solid pickup, especially with Coward/Clemmings not impressing as of late.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Was really unimpressed with him. Technique is terrible. Relies on "catching guys" and neve really makes first contact in pass pro. Bends way too much at the hips, not enough at the knees. Good in run blocking when he can maul guys(clearly a guard mentality). Kick slide is BRUTAL.

Just to stuff and not athletic enough to play tackle in the NFL

The play that best sums up Bars pass pro issues: go to the 4th quarter, 13:23 to play.

Agreed that the technique is an issue. That is why we need to see more and hopefully against better rushers.

The kickslide looked like an OG moving out for the first time. It needs repetition and work.

I would keep working him at OT, we know he can play OG. But I would continue to look for another option in free agency once the cuts start.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the best way to put it would be,

For the first time out it was not terrible. I am not burning the tape and never thinking about playing him at OT again.

But we need a more viable swing OT.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
He’s definitely worth a look for the back up tackle spot. @WindyCity ive been reading the Bears got rounds 2-3 value in a UDFA bc of his injury, is that more homer exaggeration or after reviewing him do you feel the same way.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He’s definitely worth a look for the back up tackle spot. @WindyCity ive been reading the Bears got rounds 2-3 value in a UDFA bc of his injury, is that more homer exaggeration or after reviewing him do you feel the same way.

I would say that is a little rich. I think in injures he would have been a 4th or 5th round pick.

At OG, he looks like he has a future.

He is never going to be an NFL OT. The question is can he fill in for a game without getting Mitch killed.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I would say that is a little rich. I think in injures he would have been a 4th or 5th round pick.

He is never going to be an NFL OT. The question is can he fill in for a game without getting Mitch killed.
So eventually Long’s replacement in a perfect world?

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

4th is where I saw him projected as well. Sounds like more agility drills are in order.

Strengths
  • Team captain in 2018 and starting guard for 2017 position group that won Joe Moore Award for top offensive line in college football
  • Good overall thickness of frame
  • Has base anchor to stand his ground against power
  • Has starting experience at both guard spots and right tackle
  • Works well with teammates on double teams maintaining hip-to-hip approach
  • Features adequate initial quickness into his block fit
  • Uses sturdy post hand to steady and steer his opponent
  • Good understanding of angles and second-level target points on move blocks
  • Quickness to transition to linebacker shooting the B-gap
  • Good overall recognition of twists in pass protection
  • Possesses hearty initial punch to stymie face-up rush challenges.
Weaknesses
  • Excessive waist-bending leads to off-balance whiffs and some early losses
  • Narrows base on move blocks causing below-average contact balance
  • Might lack core strength to control point of attack vs
  • sturdy two-gappers
  • Heavy and awkward out in space
  • Will struggle with long pulls and screen plays
  • Lateral-recovery quickness is below par
  • Edge-to-edge interior rushers could be too much for him to handle
  • Suffered season-ending ACL/MCL tear in September.

jive

Liked Posts:
I hope Bars can fill in, because other guys are not really good. Coward could develop. but Clemmings and Lucas are liabilities.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Lucas has only one technique mastered which is quickly turning his torso so he can watch his man smash the Quarterback. TJ sucks too.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Overall

Windy, what did you think of Coward so far?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This could be a real shitshow if either one of our Tackles went down.....sure hope they are watching the waiver wires (I know they are).

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the best way to put it would be,

For the first time out it was not terrible. I am not burning the tape and never thinking about playing him at OT again.

But we need a more viable swing OT.
This wasn't the first time he played tackle though.................That's the thing.