All Connections Mock Draft

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We know that connections matter for this coaching staff and that they value prior connections. I think this could be even more valuable in a disrupted draft season.

He is the all connections off season.

2[43] WR K.J Hamler [Penn State] 5'9" 178lbs.

The Bears need speed on offense and they need it badly. Last season they generated next to no YAC yards and hardly an explosive plays and while part of that is on Trubisky, it is also on a lack of speed and big play ability on offense. Hamler is incredibly fast. I mean next level fast. He would add a speed dynamic to the offense that the Chiefs have and the Bears lack. His ability in the open field is incredible to watch. He may not be able to play full time on the edge as he was in the slot a lot at Penn State, but he can be moved around and used as a weapon like Hill and a Hardamen in KC. Bill Lazor spent last season on the Penn State coaching staff which could provide valuable insight as Hamler has not been able to work out.

kj-hamler-tempest.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] [400] to the Miami Dolphins for 2[56], 4[144] [395.5]

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[56] [340] to the Washington Redskins for 3[66] and 4[108] [338]

3[66] OG Ben Bresedon [Michigan] 6'5" 316lbs.

The Bears need someone who can come in and compete at RG in camp and someone who could be the long term solution at the position. Bresedon was coached last season by Juan Castillo and that relationship may be valuable in speeding up the learning curve for him. Bresedon is a big, heavy handed, lunch pale RG who is a solid pass protector and a high effort run blocker. With his advanced technique and starting experience he should be able to come in and compete right away.

BBZneHi.img

4[108] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 202lbs, 4.54 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'10" broad

The Bear are taking a volume approach to the safety position and they should continue to add to the spot and give themselves the maximum number of options in camp. Reed fills a need as well as takes care of Ryan Pace's need to draft someone from Georgia. He is productive, 54 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 PD and can likely play both safety spots.

JRReed_2019_1.jpg

4[144] OLB Alex Highsmith [Charlotte] 6'3" 252lbs.

No direct connection here, but the 4th round is where Pace seems most comfortable taking a swing on small school guys. Highsmith has solid size and athletic ability. He dominated a lower level of competition and should add a rotational boost to the pass rush. Pace has also made a ton of picks from the South East and that seems to be a scouting area he relies heavily on.

eAD8WBcxdVEA6___TWS0ew5OO4EDuU-vxXWHiPsZAlWO10-3n4AH_yWafOc-oWnCgt9LqmPBlsYSauziEW5VKwUYYgx15IjiCvNG43NOhuHJ1evxNbyYckMh-v64szokO4kqDrw

5[163] OT Charlie Heck [UNC] 6'8" 311lbs, 34" arms, 5.16 [40], 21 reps, 28" vert

Charlie Heck is a versatile OT who has played LT and RT while at UNC. He has great size for the position, solid athletic ability, and comes from NFL bloodlines as his dad was a 1st round pick and is currently the OL coach for the Chiefs. Nagy knows Heck well as he coached with his dad for 5 years. Heck fills a need for the Bears as the swing OT and someone who can compete at OT. In the NFL he seems like more of a RT, but there are tools here to work with.

6_7644401.jpg

6[196] CB Harrison Hand [Temple] 5'11" 197lbs. 4.52 [40], 14 reps, 41" vert, 11'1" broad

Defensive quality control coach Ronnell Johnson was a DB coach at Temple for part of Hand's career and that should give the Bears some insight into an intriguing athlete who is still smoothing out some rough edges as a CB. The Bears are clearly going cheap at CB2 and they need to give themselves options. At a minimum Hand brings top level athletic tools to develop.

ERA3bOgVUAAEdP-.jpg

6[202] TE Nigel Kilby [Southern Illinois] 6'8" 254lbs, 4.72 [40], 18 reps, 34.5" vert, 10'6" broad

The Bears need to take a swing at developing a TE and Kirby is a local product that the Bears got an up close look at before the Pro Days were shut down. Kilby is a gigantic, athletic TE who is in need of a ton of developmental work. The Bears do not need him in 2019, this is about trying to make him into something in 2020.

VRkeFEIj_400x400.jpg

7[226] OLB Cameron Brown [Penn St] 6'5" 232lbs, 4.72, 16 reps, 35.5" vert, 10'3" broad

Pace likes to double dip, he has some inside information from Penn State, and he needs to add more to the LB core. Brown is a big, long, athletic LB, that is so raw and positionless that the Bears are taking a major developmental swing. Brown should move to OLB and work on his pass rush, which he has flashed before, as he fills out his frame. At a minimum he can probably make the team as a swing backup and core special teams player.

bmartin_nfl-draft_dallas-cowboys-2020-7-round-mock-draft-post-nfl-combine-edition-2.jpg

7[233] RB Reggie Corbin [Illinois] 5'10" 200lbs.

This was a surprising non-combine invite and someone that Shane Toub worked with at Illinois. Corbin would add some speed to the backfield, with better size than Cohen, he could take over as RB2 and someone who can take some carries away from Montgomery and keep the Bears from grinding him into the ground. Corbin has the long speed that Montgomery does not.

USATSI_11589194-718x490.jpg

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not a huge fan of Hamler that early unless we really moving on from Mitch. Dude is not accurate enough to hit those little guys on deep routes.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
Fantastic Mock! This is exactly what I hope Pace will do, especially trading down the 2nd of the Bears 2nd rd pick twice. Only complaint is that I'd like to see a ILB somewhere, but that's it. People keep saying that Pace can cut Grahmm & Burton after this season...but why do it if they end up being good? The cap is going up each year, the Bears just need to hit on some draft picks and they will be fine cap-wise.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not a huge fan of Hamler that early unless we really moving on from Mitch. Dude is not accurate enough to hit those little guys on deep routes.

I think Hamler also provides value in the short, screen and crossing game.

But I agree with your point. He would be a waste with Mitch, but I expect we will see very little of Mitch.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

You're not a fan of Hamler that early or not a fan of Hamler period, cause you made it sound like you aren't a fan at all the in the last thread we were talking about him? I don't even think he'll make it to pick #43 but no way in telling which players will be where in this draft because it's so string IMO.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There's a couple mocks in here that i would be ecstatic if we were able to get them.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Fantastic Mock! This is exactly what I hope Pace will do, especially trading down the 2nd of the Bears 2nd rd pick twice. Only complaint is that I'd like to see a ILB somewhere, but that's it. People keep saying that Pace can cut Grahmm & Burton after this season...but why do it if they end up being good? The cap is going up each year, the Bears just need to hit on some draft picks and they will be fine cap-wise.

Burton has to go no matter what he does next year IMO just cause we can't trust the guy to stay healthy and whatever mental issues he has. If Graham plays well then i'd be good with keeping him around but we gotta get a young TE in here for him to sit and learn behind Graham.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Is he fast enough that Mitch cannot possibly overthrow him? If so, fine, not gonna have a problem with that one. Chuck it and let the kid fly to the spot.

Right now I'm more concerned about improving our OL than anything else, but taking a swing on a home run threat is seldom a bad idea in my book.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Is he fast enough that Mitch cannot possibly overthrow him? If so, fine, not gonna have a problem with that one. Chuck it and let the kid fly to the spot.

Right now I'm more concerned about improving our OL than anything else, but taking a swing on a home run threat is seldom a bad idea in my book.

The thing with Mitch can't hit a fast WR cause he's too small is ridiculous and just a made up CCS thing because he overthrew Gabriel multiple times. Mitch's long ball accuracy is bad regardless of the size of the WR. The issue is Mitch not the size of the receiver. Hamler can do so much more then just run deep for the long throws. You get that kid in open space and he's always gonna be dangerous. You can run that kid on short slant routes and let him do his thing once he catches the ball. Mitch needs to get better on his long ball throws no matter if they're to small WR's or bigger WR's.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Hamler also provides value in the short, screen and crossing game.

But I agree with your point. He would be a waste with Mitch, but I expect we will see very little of Mitch.

Agreed but personally I think guys with more height that add the same element to our offense will be available as well.

You're not a fan of Hamler that early or not a fan of Hamler period, cause you made it sound like you aren't a fan at all the in the last thread we were talking about him? I don't even think he'll make it to pick #43 but no way in telling which players will be where in this draft because it's so string IMO.

Not sure which thread you are referring to but more open to Hamler in the event we trade down and he is still there later in the draft and other options are gone.

He is rumored to be able to run sub 4.4 and possibly sub 4.3 but didn't run at combine and unlikely to run before the draft. Keep in mind he is in the same neighborhood and height as Gabriel who Trubs had trouble consistently hitting deep.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Think "hook and ladder" and then it makes sense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The thing with Mitch can't hit a fast WR cause he's too small is ridiculous and just a made up CCS thing because he overthrew Gabriel multiple times. Mitch's long ball accuracy is bad regardless of the size of the WR. The issue is Mitch not the size of the receiver. Hamler can do so much more then just run deep for the long throws. You get that kid in open space and he's always gonna be dangerous. You can run that kid on short slant routes and let him do his thing once he catches the ball. Mitch needs to get better on his long ball throws no matter if they're to small WR's or bigger WR's.

Not exactly. The thing with a guy like ARob is Mitch can at least hit him decently well on back shouldler passes. Can't do that as much with a 5-9 WR.

Hence why I prefer a guy like Reagor who can work in the short game with his YAC ability as well as being able to get deep and if necessary high point a back shoulder pass with his 42 inch vertical. Or guys who have deep speed and height like Mims or Claypool.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hamler is also trying to use GPS readings of his speed on the field and compare them to top 15 plays in terms of speed in the NFL for teams to have some point of comparison.

Hamler's agents at CAA requested his GPS information from Penn State's sports-science staff and highlighted the receiver's top speed while carrying the football from each of his two college seasons (21.76 mph as a redshirt freshman in 2018 and 21.58 mph this past season). They plugged that data into the list of the top speeds for ball carriers in the NFL last season, as compiled by Next Gen Stats, putting Hamler in a tie for eighth and 13th, respectively. (The 22.30 mph 49ers running back Matt Breida posted on an 83-yard touchdown against the Browns tops the list.) They are planning to send that list to NFL teams this week to show them that, yes, the speed they see on film when they're watching Hamler's tape is NFL-caliber.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-kj-hamler-turns-to-tech-in-scouting-shutdown

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agreed but personally I think guys with more height that add the same element to our offense will be available as well.

Not sure which thread you are referring to but more open to Hamler in the event we trade down and he is still there later in the draft and other options are gone.

He is rumored to be able to run sub 4.4 and possibly sub 4.3 but didn't run at combine and unlikely to run before the draft. Keep in mind he is in the same neighborhood and height as Gabriel who Trubs had trouble consistently hitting deep.

Yeah i can't remember what thread either since we have so many that we talk WR's in but what are your feelings on Hamler for the Bears? Are you on the side of we can't bring in a shorter speedy WR because Mitch can't hit them with the deep balls or the side of Mitch can't hit anyone consistently with his deep balls and it's more about Mitch then it is the size of the WR?

If anyone in this draft has any chance at being the next T.Hill type it would be K.J Hamler IMO. We could do so much with a WR like him as long as Nagy can use him correctly and not just think he would only be good for running real fast down the sideline for the deep TD pass/catch.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not exactly. The thing with a guy like ARob is Mitch can at least hit him decently well on back shouldler passes. Can't do that as much with a 5-9 WR.

Hence why I prefer a guy like Reagor who can work in the short game with his YAC ability as well as being able to get deep and if necessary high point a back shoulder pass with his 42 inch vertical. Or guys who have deep speed and height like Mims or Claypool.

I definitely understand the difference with having a speed WR that also has size compared to the speed WR's that are short and how they can not only run fast but can go up and get it but i don't really see too much difference in what Reagor, who's still under 6'0, can do and what Hamler can do. Hamler is also faster than Reagor and as good or better in open space but Reagor is stronger and very shifty and has great balance. I'd be happy with getting either but Hamler just reminds me so much of T.Hill that i guess i'm intrigued by that.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
according to the laws of physics anytime you have a defender who is taller than the WR the throw becomes increasingly more difficult regardless of who is playing qb, if you have a 5'8" WR defended by a guy 4 inches taller, how much of an arc would you have to put on that deep ball pass?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah i can't remember what thread either since we have so many that we talk WR's in but what are your feelings on Hamler for the Bears? Are you on the side of we can't bring in a shorter speedy WR because Mitch can't hit them with the deep balls or the side of Mitch can't hit anyone consistently with his deep balls and it's more about Mitch then it is the size of the WR?

If anyone in this draft has any chance at being the next T.Hill type it would be K.J Hamler IMO. We could do so much with a WR like him as long as Nagy can use him correctly and not just think he would only be good for running real fast down the sideline for the deep TD pass/catch.

With regards to Mitch, I think he struggles hitting guys in stride deep which limits the ability of any WR to catch the ball and take it to the house as you see so often with Hill. In that instance, the priority then should be WRs that can secure the catch which favors bigger more physical WRs or guys that can really outjump you. The times you see us connect deep are usually on back shoulder passes or jump balls.

I wouldn't hate the Hamler pick, I just have other WRs I would like more. In comparison to Reagor, it is not a given that Hamler is faster. Bear in mind a 40 time is a one time thing. Just like a guy running 100 meters doesn't always run his best, the same is true of the combine. When you look at the tape, Reagor and Hamler are comparably fast. Reagor ran a 4.47 at the combine but at TCU his personal bests were as follows: “The 5-11, 195-pound junior clocked a blazing 4.29 40, and his power numbers are also impressive: a 620-pound squat, a 380-pound bench and a 380-pound clean,” Hamler personal best in the 40 since we don't have combine numbers is around that range as well so Reagor is about as fast and that is what the tape shows as Hamler maybe a tick faster but just a tick.

I definitely understand the difference with having a speed WR that also has size compared to the speed WR's that are short and how they can not only run fast but can go up and get it but i don't really see too much difference in what Reagor, who's still under 6'0, can do and what Hamler can do. Hamler is also faster than Reagor and as good or better in open space but Reagor is stronger and very shifty and has great balance. I'd be happy with getting either but Hamler just reminds me so much of T.Hill that i guess i'm intrigued by that.

The difference is Reagor is also stronger, taller by 2 inches and likely has a higher vertical. So that 2 inch difference in height is likely really 4-8 inches as I would expect Hamlers vert to be like 36-40 inches. That is pretty different in terms of high pointing a football and that difference can be seen on tape.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...ed-by-trait-route-running-yac-speed-and-more/

Just one ranking so take with a grain of salt but Reagor is 2nd in release/route running, 5th in contested catch, 2nd in YAC, and 3rd in downfield speed. By contrast, Hamler is 6th, 10th, 6th, 2nd. But point is they are comparable in speed and I would say Hamler probably closer in YAC than 6th but Reagor definitely has him beat in terms of release/route running and contested catch. Hamler is just a bit more limited in the latter two because he can be bullied a bit more due to his size. Even in YAC, he is comparable in agility to Reagor IMO but Reagor is going to be able to break more tackles if necessary.

Doesn't mean it will all translate to the NFL but just the reasons why I have Reagor higher.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
according to the laws of physics anytime you have a defender who is taller than the WR the throw becomes increasingly more difficult regardless of who is playing qb, if you have a 5'8" WR defended by a guy 4 inches taller, how much of an arc would you have to put on that deep ball pass?

Yes but the issue is if you have a QB that is actually hitting WRs in stride then the size difference doesn't matter as much. What matters is whether the WR has outrun the CB.

The reason why it is generally harder is because within a QB's deep passing profile is a combination of them overthrowing, underthrowing or getting it just right. The problem with Mitch is his throws are generally in the underthrow category which means it favors bigger WRs that can fight for the ball. That or he so severely overthrows that the WR can't even run under the ball. I don't even remember the last time he actually hit a WR in stride where they were able to stay on their feet and run it in for a TD. More often than not the WR has to make some adjustment that allows the DB in the play.