Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I've grown completely bored with my current job, and I have no plans of moving up, so I've decided it's time to move on. I'm trying to get into an Electricians apprenticeship, and I've been accepted to take the aptitude test. I know a couple of people that have taken it, but that was years ago. I hear it's basic algebra and english. I've heard it was along the lines of the SATs, which I thought found fairly easy. Can anyone give me any idea what to brush up on? I've always been fairly good in math, but it's been damn near twenty years since I graduated high school and put any of that shit into practice. I just want to be prepared. Any info would be appreciated.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I'm not an electrician.

But I just wanted to say that Khan Academy is a great resource to brush up on elementary algebra. It's free and it does the job. So if you need to go over that or aren't sure if you do I recommend Khan Academy to you.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I'm positive math is heavily involved. I'm just not sure what math lol. Appreciate the resource. The way my mind tends to work is that once I see something I've seen before, everything tends to come rushing back to memory, so anything that gets it back in the game is helpful.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I'm positive math is heavily involved. I'm just not sure what math lol. Appreciate the resource. The way my mind tends to work is that once I see something I've seen before, everything tends to come rushing back to memory, so anything that gets it back in the game is helpful.
I did a quick search on the test and it seems elementary algebra is the main focus of the math portion. So yeah Khan Academy can help you there, you can also do some of their intermediate algebra just in case.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
^ You'll probably get back up to speed on it pretty quickly, you might even find that you already know a good amount of it.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I did a quick search on the test and it seems elementary algebra is the main focus of the math portion. So yeah Khan Academy can help you there, you can also do some of their intermediate algebra just in case.
Where'd you find it? I came up with next to nothing when I searched. What terms did you use, maybe I was off.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Fuck, I think I was just typing Electrician test LOL. All I kept getting was Electrician forums. Excellent work @Briggs is GOAT I got 3 weeks to prepare

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
^ You'll probably get back up to speed on it pretty quickly, you might even find that you already know a good amount of it.

Yup, looking at the sample questions, I remember seeing the shit, little fuzzy on how to solve. Looking at that Khan academy site and it seems to be perfect. Gonna look into that more during my free time. Very much appreciate the help. The Khan Academy site especially is very much what I was looking for.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was a union electrician for almost 20 years (IBEW 134). I won't get too stressed over the test.
But having a couple friends still in it, I (and they) wouldn't recommend it. Unless you have commections in the union or a company, work can be spotty. The pay and benefits are good though.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Yup, looking at the sample questions, I remember seeing the shit, little fuzzy on how to solve. Looking at that Khan academy site and it seems to be perfect. Gonna look into that more during my free time. Very much appreciate the help. The Khan Academy site especially is very much what I was looking for.
Glad I could be of service sir.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I was a union electrician for almost 20 years (IBEW 134). I won't get too stressed over the test.
But having a couple friends still in it, I (and they) wouldn't recommend it. Unless you have commections in the union or a company, work can be spotty. The pay and benefits are good though.

I've heard. I sort of do. I know someone that knows some people, but my goal is to simply get through the apprenticeship. Quite frankly, I'm using the union as a means to an end. All I want is the (paid) training. After that, maybe I stay in the union, maybe I don't. Once I have the training, I can figure out my own path. Quite frankly, I'm pretty fucking good at playing the game.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've heard. I sort of do. I know someone that knows some people, but my goal is to simply get through the apprenticeship. Quite frankly, I'm using the union as a means to an end. All I want is the (paid) training. After that, maybe I stay in the union, maybe I don't. Once I have the training, I can figure out my own path. Quite frankly, I'm pretty fucking good at playing the game.

You should do fine then. It's been a few years now, is the apprenticeship 4 or 5 years now?
I'm not sure of your age, but the trades can be pretty rough at times if/when older.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You should do fine then. It's been a few years now, is the apprenticeship 4 or 5 years now?
I'm not sure of your age, but the trades can be pretty rough at times if/when older.

5 years. I'm 35, but I'm in fairly decent shape. I'm not a slug. I wish I would've known about this five years ago. I've thought about this the last couple years and an apprenticeship never even crossed my mind. I was thinking about going to trade school but couldn't figure out how to work it into my work schedule. Would it be possible to keep a part time job for the first couple of years? The first two years (possibly three) of pay for apprentices is a serious paycut from what I've got now ($25+).

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5 years. I'm 35, but I'm in fairly decent shape. I'm not a slug. I wish I would've known about this five years ago. I've thought about this the last couple years and an apprenticeship never even crossed my mind. I was thinking about going to trade school but couldn't figure out how to work it into my work schedule. Would it be possible to keep a part time job for the first couple of years? The first two years (possibly three) of pay for apprentices is a serious paycut from what I've got now ($25+).

I doubt you could work a part-time job at the same time unless it is weekends only or nights. Working outside in heat like Thurs. and Fri. here, or cold in Jan./Feb. can beat you up. Especially as you get older.
Companies like to hire young, lower paid apprentices that will run. Guys in their 50 and 60's are not wanted much. Even with all their knowledge they are the first to get a lay off.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yeah, currently I'm on nights. I figure I might be able to work out a 6-10 or 7-10 part time schedule with my current job. If they aren't willing to work with me, I'd quit. I'm still at a decent age where I can move, so that's why I want to get the training now and do what I need to do later. The heat/cold won't bother me. I deal with that already as it is.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part time at night would work. Typical hours are 7:00-3:30. You'd be very busy working that schedule.
Are you talking the Chicago area? You can be sent anywhere in the county on a days notice. Working in Dolton while living in Barrington is rough if you start a 7:00 a.m. for example.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Part time at night would work. Typical hours are 7:00-3:30. You'd be very busy working that schedule.
Are you talking the Chicago area? You can be sent anywhere in the county on a days notice. Working in Dolton while living in Barrington is rough if you start a 7:00 a.m. for example.

Lake County in Indiana. Local 697. I'd let my current job know that there might be days where I might not make it. Like I said, if they aren't willing to work with me, I'll quit. If I get the apprenticeship, there will be no negotiation. They can either deal with it or not. Honestly, looking forward to quitting on my boss anyway.

Last edited: