Any one getting worried about Sori?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Was looking over some of his stats. His OPS is at .715.

Some early season history:

Pre allstar break:

2012: .795
2011: .786
2010: .876
2009: .711 (ended up with .726 20 HR season)
2008: .879
2007: .884

Now it is kinda early but he really has not hit a streak yet.

Might be overboard here but if he is looking like he has no gas in the tank by July; do you think that the Rickett's would eat the rest of the deal?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Another note:

Home: .349/.379/.587
Away: .203/.236/.246

He has been Ice outside of Wrigg.....

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another note:

Home: .349/.379/.587
Away: .203/.236/.246

He has been Ice outside of Wrigg.....

Hopefully it's just a cold start, so I won't worry just yet.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Was looking over some of his stats. His OPS is at .715.

Some early season history:

Pre allstar break:

2012: .795
2011: .786
2010: .876
2009: .711 (ended up with .726 20 HR season)
2008: .879
2007: .884

Now it is kinda early but he really has not hit a streak yet.

Might be overboard here but if he is looking like he has no gas in the tank by July; do you think that the Rickett's would eat the rest of the deal?

Why? He is still one of the top 2-3 players on the team, he is instrumental in showing good work ethic and professionalism to the kids, and he is not a distraction at all to the team. Oh yeah, Theo and Jed both said they like him and he has great clubhouse presence..

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because they'd have to pay the money either way at this point, and because Soriano has no intention of waiving his no-trade rights at the moment, they don't have much of a choice except to play him every day. It is true that he has a good work ethic and is a good role model for the younger players which has been stated by the team and players directly to the media. It is also true that he's old now, is no longer in his prime, will probably get worse and therefore this early season slump is more than likely going to be what you get from here on out.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Because they'd have to pay the money either way at this point, and because Soriano has no intention of waiving his no-trade rights at the moment, they don't have much of a choice except to play him every day. It is true that he has a good work ethic and is a good role model for the younger players which has been stated by the team and players directly to the media. It is also true that he's old now, is no longer in his prime, will probably get worse and therefore this early season slump is more than likely going to be what you get from here on out.

He's been a streak hitter his entire life as a Cub. This is nothing new.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sori's a perennial slow starter. If we were a contending team, I'd be worried. Given the fact that we're not -- I just hope he gets hot before the trade deadline :shrug:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's been a streak hitter his entire life as a Cub. This is nothing new.

It's nothing new except for the part where he's older now. Age catches up to everyone.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
only thing I was worrying about is has he crossed the threshold and is on the decline.

Not saying there is anyone worth a damn to replace him but if he regresses to a 15 HR LF is avg D and balky legs wouldn't it make sense to cut the losses and get a LF.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
only thing I was worrying about is has he crossed the threshold and is on the decline.

Not saying there is anyone worth a damn to replace him but if he regresses to a 15 HR LF is avg D and balky legs wouldn't it make sense to cut the losses and get a LF.

It would actually make more sense to put Sori in a straight platoon since he's a sunk cost. He may not be worth his salary but he's not completely useless.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
It would actually make more sense to put Sori in a straight platoon since he's a sunk cost. He may not be worth his salary but he's not completely useless.

Not a big fan of platooning, and I'm even a worse fan of platooning someone like Soriano. The best way to show him off if that's what the Cubs are doing, is to give him plenty of AB's. With those AB's come bigger and better numbers, i.e. attracting more potential teams.

The Cubs have plenty if trouble scoring runs now. We surely don't need to take one of the top 2 RBI men on the team historically speaking and start platooning him. This offense is already dismal enough to watch.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought his legs looked good when he made that hustle double today. Soriano is just a streaky hitter and he hasnt been horrendous just hasnt been hot. Dont worry about his power. He hits homers with his hands. Unless they became weak all of the sudden he will be ok,

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
It is also true that he's old now, is no longer in his prime, will probably get worse and therefore this early season slump is more than likely going to be what you get from here on out.

And still leaves him as the first or second best offensive player on the team.

But let's place all the blame on the team's failure on Sori and not the fact that the rest of the team sucks.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not a big fan of platooning, and I'm even a worse fan of platooning someone like Soriano. The best way to show him off if that's what the Cubs are doing, is to give him plenty of AB's. With those AB's come bigger and better numbers, i.e. attracting more potential teams.

He has little trade value. If he was desiarable he would have been traded when his value peaked. Most teams didn't want to give up quality even if the Cubs absorbed.

I'm only a fan of platooning if the splits support it.

This year:
VS left: .405/.444/.619
VS right .211/.237/.311

So on paper they do support it.

2012:
L: .260/.342/.489
R: .263/.315/.502

2011:
L: .271/.312/.500
R: .235/.282/.459

2010:
L: .295/.376/.568
R: .243/.298/.466

2009:
L: .184/.283/.286
R: .256/.308/.459

2008:
L: .351/.404/.710
R: .252/.319/.460

2007:
L: .254/.301/.524
R: .311/.347/.570

So historically he has hit both. Strange splits though. Some years he just pounds RH pitching.

I'd give him to mid June. If he has not hit a hot streak which is his norm by that time of the year we have to be concerned that there may not be a hot streak coming.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
And still leaves him as the first or second best offensive player on the team.

But let's place all the blame on the team's failure on Sori and not the fact that the rest of the team sucks.

Nobody's blaming Soriano for anything. He's just getting old and as he loses speed (although he looks healthier than in the past as a Cub) he's not going to get as many hustle hits, which means less average = less OBP for a guy who doesn't always walk a lot anyway. I like Soriano but he's staring Father Time right in the face right now and can't outrun him forever.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Nobody's blaming Soriano for anything.

Maybe you aren't, but many idiots still clutch to the myth that his contract is killing the team when it isn't

He's just getting old and as he loses speed (although he looks healthier than in the past as a Cub) he's not going to get as many hustle hits, which means less average = less OBP for a guy who doesn't always walk a lot anyway. I like Soriano but he's staring Father Time right in the face right now and can't outrun him forever.

And again, he is still easily one of the top two offensive players on the team.

We should worry far more about the rest of the shitty team than Soriano

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The contract isn't killing the team, but it certainly doesn't help that there's an $18MM chunk sitting on the payroll that cannot be moved under most reasonable circumstances.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maybe you aren't, but many idiots still clutch to the myth that his contract is killing the team when it isn't

And again, he is still easily one of the top two offensive players on the team.

We should worry far more about the rest of the shitty team than Soriano

I'm not so sure.

David Dejesus in a platoon: .283/.355/.525 vs RH pitching
.167/.231/.167 VS LH.
Platoon justified.

Rizzo:

L: .340/.415/.638
R: .261/.333/.511

Solid vs both.

Castro
L: .244/.277/.311
R: .282/.301/.427

Support a full time role.

Castillo:
L: .212/.297/.273
R: .319/.347/.420

Strange one so far. Hits RH pitching well.

Barney:
L: .190/.346/.381
R: .148/.258/.241

This dude gets too much love. He sux.

Like I said if he hasn't hit a hot streak it is something to consider if his splits don't pick up.

At one point production has to have more weight over name respect.

Also I'd put him behind Castro and Rizzo.

Rizzo may be the best player on the team at this point.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
The contract isn't killing the team, but it certainly doesn't help that there's an $18MM chunk sitting on the payroll that cannot be moved under most reasonable circumstances.

Why does it need to be moved? You just said the contract isn't killing the team.

He is one of the most productive players on the team.

The only reason it needs to be moved is because the rest of the team sucks.

If the team was good, there wouldn't be the irrational feeling that he has to be moved.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Soriano's fate is in his own hands anyway, he has the no-trade protection. The rationale here is that the Cubs have to pay the salary no matter what and if they do move him, it's because there's a prospect at the end of the rainbow that's worth their while. Nobody is going to take Soriano in a salary dump trade. And the Cubs won't pay his entire contract for a scrub who has no chance of ever being half as productive as Soriano was. So the point is moot. The only point being made is that there's a reason to be worried that Soriano's struggles continue due to his age. Since they're paying him anyway, might as well milk the leadership and work ethic out of him as well as the occasional home run. I wouldn't be surprised if Soriano gets to 20 HR again. I also wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with just 10 and ends up hitting sixth or seventh in the lineup to play out the season.