Anybody been to the Bears new gym in Vernon Hills?

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
me and @bearmick will be hosting a CCS meet and greet there in 2 weeks time

bring condoms!

mikeyk

Liked Posts:
Here is my feedback on Planet... I'm 37, 38 in less than a month. Yep- no freebar bench available, but mine had dumbbells that went up to 80. Incline that and do Smith machine work at whatever you need to increase the weight. Smith mchaines are NOT normal there- you CAN do more on regular barbell flat bench, they are heavier than you think.

Long and short- you can fulfill a normal workout while being strong, but no type of powerlifting options are available. So if your life depends on deadlifts, freebar squats and cleans- not the gym for you.

Besides that, 19 bucks a month can keep you looking jacked and feeling good about yourself after an hour of working out. You also get free tanning (if you need that, not my thing) and massage devices too.

If you are there for free food, you dont need it anyways. Just my 2 cents.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
me and @bearmick will be hosting a CCS meet and greet there in 2 weeks time

bring condoms!

I don't do gyms, love. Weights at home, and the outdoors is an unlimited treadmill with changing scenery. I'd recommend it to anyone.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last time I quit the gym, it was because every time I went - 5 days a week over a month - literally every time, there was a guy there that was fucking yelling. Not grunting. Fucking yelling every time he did anything. Shit was drowning out my podcasts. And the whole fucking gym was awkward because that guy. Most uncomfortable shit ever.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
W8 if I sign up for planet fitness I cant wear my tanks?

benplace

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My son and I went in there and went to the pro shop and picked out several items, and then drove downt he road to Dicks and found the same ones for far cheaper and bought them there.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My son and I went in there and went to the pro shop and picked out several items, and then drove downt he road to Dicks and found the same ones for far cheaper and bought them there.

Such is about everything. Could also buy online for cheaper yet if not needed in hand day of.

-------
Most gyms will have a few meatheads. Up to management to deal with the yelling and dropping/slamming of weights.
Allowing that is bad business on many levels.

Letting cable weight plates slam is just as bad. I see that much more often. Zero excuse on that.

Not using a towel or wiping off sweat is by far the biggest red flag. Gym should at LEAST have paper towel dispensers and a few spray bottles around to use.

Does the Bears one give towels....CB logo on em?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Got a free pass and went today. Guess I can try it out 3 more days as well. Couple things stood out right away.

1. This place is huge. Bigger than a normal gym. There are like 5 power racks with free weights and like 10 sets of bench presses. Everything is brand new. There are sections for plyo and rope training, boxing, etc. The deadlift section uses crossfit style plates. I think they will time your 40 even lol.

2. Not many people must know about this place because there was not many people in the gym and I went after work when most places are packed. So I was able to do whatever I wanted with no wait.

3. Price is like 55 a month and they said it would be increased starting tomorrow. They clearly were trying to get me to sign up today. Also hinted at a corporate discount when I told them about it being out of the way driving wise compared to my current gym. Will try and play the negotiation game at the end of my trial.

4. They have hydromassage that they let me try out which was amazing. They also have cold therapy but you have to be a member to use and it's like 15 dollars each time.

5. They have a smoothie / protein shake bar which is ridiculously priced at 7 or 8 dollars. They say they are the same options offered at Halas Hall for the players after workouts. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

From an amenities perspective, this is the best gym I have ever stepped in. Not even close. It's worth 50 dollars a month. Especially when it is not packed like a golds gym always is. Question for me is do I want to drive 30 minutes out of the way every day and pay 20 dollars more than I currently am paying. Hmm.