Anyone listening to ESPN 1000 right now?

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
They are all willing to trade Schwarber, Rizzo, or Bryant. :thinking:

WTF is wrong with people?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They are all willing to trade Schwarber, Rizzo, or Bryant. :thinking:

WTF is wrong with people?

I've heard some crazy stuff today too. That said I don't think there are as many sacred cows as people might think. Bryant, Russell, Schwarber and Rizzo are all probably untouchable though unless you are blown away in a deal. Soler, Castro and Baez are the most likely guys to go.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
It really doesn't matter what talking heads on ESPN say. Theo and Jed have a plan and will stick to it. And what if you get offered something crazy for a guy like Schwarber?

I wouldn't want to deal any of the Big 4, but man -- if somebody wants to pony up a Kings Ransom, you take it. It would have to be a proposition that totally blows us away, where we get multiple blue chip studs in return (elite young arms).

This is a business and the only untouchable player in any sport ever was Michael Jordan. If Babe Ruth and The Great One can get traded -- so can Kyle Schwarber.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
It really doesn't matter what talking heads on ESPN say. Theo and Jed have a plan and will stick to it. And what if you get offered something crazy for a guy like Schwarber?

I wouldn't want to deal any of the Big 4, but man -- if somebody wants to pony up a Kings Ransom, you take it. It would have to be a proposition that totally blows us away, where we get multiple blue chip studs in return (elite young arms).

This is a business and the only untouchable player in any sport ever was Michael Jordan. If Babe Ruth and The Great One can get traded -- so can Kyle Schwarber.

If Billy Beane offered Sonny Gray and asked for Schwarber negotiations would begin immediately. The deal would have to be a very balanced value proposition but you would have those discussions. Absolutely not likely but not impossible either.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I've heard some crazy stuff today too. That said I don't think there are as many sacred cows as people might think. Bryant, Russell, Schwarber and Rizzo are all probably untouchable though unless you are blown away in a deal. Soler, Castro and Baez are the most likely guys to go.

Bolded is correct. Especially since reports are coming out that we're interested in Hayward. It would suck to see Soler go, but he would net us a great return

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Bolded is correct. Especially since reports are coming out that we're interested in Hayward. It would suck to see Soler go, but he would net us a great return

Heyward would be in CF more often than not and be Fowler's replacement. If you trade Soler you'd either have to keep Castro and Baez or find a high OBP contact hitter to play 2B or 3B because Bryant would be your RF.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Heyward would be in CF more often than not and be Fowler's replacement

I hope that's the case. I don't want Soler to go, but we do need pitching. I'm hoping we can get 2 out of the FA market. Price, Cueto, Greinke, Lackey, Zimmerman.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I hope that's the case. I don't want Soler to go, but we do need pitching. I'm hoping we can get 2 out of the FA market. Price, Cueto, Greinke, Lackey, Zimmerman.

I don't see 2, I see one and a trade especially if they extend Arrieta and sign Heyward.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Castro is the only guy in that bunch I'd trade. Soler and Baez to me are with the Schwarber, Rizzo, Bryant level of "hang up the phone if asked about them."

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I don't see 2, I see one and a trade especially if they extend Arrieta and sign Heyward.

I don't see 2 either, unfortunately. Which is why we will have to trade for another one. I'm greedy though, I'm not parting ways with Soler, Schwarber, Russell, Rizzo, or Bryant. I'd package Baez, Castro, McKinney, and Almora to get Tyson Ross. That's just me though, Theo gets paid much more than I do to make these decisions.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Why wouldn't you consider trading Bryant? Way too much swing and miss. Rizzo? If they determine that Schwarber's bat is better than Rizzo's, Schwarber is getting moved to 1B. After observing the post-season, if anyone thinks Soler is going to get traded, they're nuts. Dusty Baker said Soler is going to be a superstar and then Pedro essentially said he is the one Cubs player who is taking the right approach at the plate this post-season. Schwarber has a special bat. I don't know that I would trade him, but he may be a player without a position. Rizzo? Leadership and great defense. Unfortunately, his bat was not going the last few months from the eye-test. Do people want to upset team chemistry by trading a young leader? Bryant definitely has some work to do this off-season on his plate approach. Too many Cubs hitters getting to two-strike counts too often. 2 strike counts equal below Mendoza line average overall.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't see 2 either, unfortunately. Which is why we will have to trade for another one. I'm greedy though, I'm not parting ways with Soler, Schwarber, Russell, Rizzo, or Bryant. I'd package Baez, Castro, McKinney, and Almora to get Tyson Ross. That's just me though, Theo gets paid much more than I do to make these decisions.
So essentially, you want Russell covering both SS and 2B with that trade? ;) While LaStella is a decent player, I'd rather send him than Castro.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't you consider trading Bryant? Way too much swing and miss. Rizzo? If they determine that Schwarber's bat is better than Rizzo's, Schwarber is getting moved to 1B. After observing the post-season, if anyone thinks Soler is going to get traded, they're nuts. Dusty Baker said Soler is going to be a superstar and then Pedro essentially said he is the one Cubs player who is taking the right approach at the plate this post-season. Schwarber has a special bat. I don't know that I would trade him, but he may be a player without a position. Rizzo? Leadership and great defense. Unfortunately, his bat was not going the last few months from the eye-test. Do people want to upset team chemistry by trading a young leader? Bryant definitely has some work to do this off-season on his plate approach. Too many Cubs hitters getting to two-strike counts too often. 2 strike counts equal below Mendoza line average overall.

Bryant, Schwarber, Rizzo, Soler, and Russell are my untradeables. Too much talent at the plate to let them go. That's my reasoning. But I'd certainly trust Theo to make a better judgement than me if one of them gets dealt.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
So essentially, you want Russell covering both SS and 2B with that trade? ;) While LaStella is a decent player, I'd rather send him than Castro.

He's got the range to do it.

Kidding, but we'd have to sign someone (not sure who's on the market) or get Alcantara up for a season or two until we get a better second baseman. I'm just spit balling here with stuff, I just know we need pitching.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like to know what Baez has done that places him in that category for you? To me he is very tradeable.

Maddon loves him. I don't think Theo moves a guy Maddon is that high on. You'd be talking about moving a possible elite bat in an environment where run scoring and offense is down. Don't like that idea and neither do the Cubs IMO.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs know they'll need at least one arm next year and probably two in case Arrieta gets into a place you don't want to go. I love Jake and he was fantastic but if he's 31 and wants a 6/7 year deal, you'd have to be careful about that. I'd have no problem getting Cueto/Zimmerman both this off season, having to pay the "cost" for the one pick now and then riding out Jake.

Perfect world: go to Jake with 5/120 deal to buy out his arbitration years (give him an option to buy out after fourth year out if he wins the Cy Young or pitches 225 innings each/year), sign Cueto (no compensation), and a low cost guy who the market doesn't go after (Shark, Fister, etc). If Jake is dead set against buying out his years, sign another Cueto level SP.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

This is a post made in jest right?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Maddon loves him. I don't think Theo moves a guy Maddon is that high on. You'd be talking about moving a possible elite bat in an environment where run scoring and offense is down. Don't like that idea and neither do the Cubs IMO.
A possible elite bat? This team already has too much swing and miss power bats in the lineup. Situational hitting on this team is not there. Everybody loves everybody in that organization. It sucks to fire people. It sucks to trade them, too. Baez is the most tradable without upsetting the apple cart so to speak.