Article on Biggest Recent Draft Mistakes

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I read it finally, the recap article(since its an article of an article) says that trubisky would wind up the biggest draft bust in franchise history.

Which still isn't true. Without looking it up I can name a ton worse than him, sadly.

I suppose it depends on how you determine biggest bust in franchise history. It certainly is in the conversation for the following reasons.

1. He was taken 2nd overall.
2. We traded up to get him.
3. Pace had a 66% chance of getting it right between Trubs, Watson and Mahommes.
4. He passed on a potential GOAT QB and another one that may be embarking on a HoF career.
5. I have no doubt we would have won the SB one of the last 2 years and would be a perennial contender if we had taken Mahomes.

The Trubs mistake likely cost us multiple SB titles. That is not hyperbole. So sure maybe there are others that are worse but who the fuck cares. Those are over and done with while Bears fans are currently watching KC enjoy what we should have had. Especially if they win multiple SB titles with someone that should have been our QB.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I suppose it depends on how you determine biggest bust in franchise history. It certainly is in the conversation for the following reasons.

1. He was taken 2nd overall.
2. We traded up to get him.
3. Pace had a 66% chance of getting it right between Trubs, Watson and Mahommes.
4. He passed on a potential GOAT QB and another one that may be embarking on a HoF career.
5. I have no doubt we would have won the SB one of the last 2 years and would be a perennial contender if we had taken Mahomes.

The Trubs mistake likely cost us multiple SB titles. That is not hyperbole. So sure maybe there are others that are worse but who the fuck cares. Those are over and done with while Bears fans are currently watching KC enjoy what we should have had. Especially if they win multiple SB titles with someone that should have been our QB.

So your whole post is the fact we passed on two other dudes who had no guarantee to be successful here.

Actually, given the track record, its more likely they wouldn't have succeeded here.

msadows

Liked Posts:
All I know is trubisky put forward 1 very good season, which is more than a lot of other first round draft busts on this shit franchise had done.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shameless plug:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Still, I understand how the debate can be made because of his draft position(#2 overall).

I always hate using if's and but's, since I feel like a lot of a players success when being drafted high is due to the team and talent around him.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So your whole post is the fact we passed on two other dudes who had no guarantee to be successful here.

Actually, given the track record, its more likely they wouldn't have succeeded here.

Are you confused? I gave 5 reasons the first 2 had nothing to do with the people he passed on.

You just said Trubs was good in 2018 ie he succeeded so I fail to see why two guys obviously picking up the game faster than him would have done worse than 2018 Trubisky. You honestly going to pretend that 2018 Trubs could play well but that Watson or Mahomes would have failed. SMH!

msadows

Liked Posts:
Are you confused? I gave 5 reasons the first 2 had nothing to do with the people he passed on.

You just said Trubs was good in 2018 ie he succeeded so I fail to see why two guys obviously picking up the game faster than him would have done worse than 2018 Trubisky. You honestly going to pretend that 2018 Trubs could play well but that Watson or Mahomes would have failed. SMH!

And 3 of them did.

So the majority of your reasons he is a bust have really got nothin to do with mitch being a bust, it has to do with the fact that someone else got a better player.

No, what I'm saying is you can't tell how well a player would have performed had situations swapped. Would they perform better than mitch in 18? Possibly. Would they play worse? Possibly.

Those are all ifs and buts.

What I do know is that mahomes getting drafted to an organization with a HC that was best equipped to develop him helped drastically. What I also know is that sitting behind one of the smartest QB's in the game helped drastically. What I also know is having a year to develop chemistry with a top 5 WR, TE, and RB helped drastically.

Mahomes probably landed in the best situation possible for any young QB, much less one with a generational arm in a scheme that favors it.

Mitch had fox, glennon, Bellamy and Dion Simms. Puke. One day this team will figure out the best way to succeed is to build a great team, then find the QB, because at that point most average QB's can look good in a system like that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Goalposts moved. Your claim was that all my reasons boil down to the other 2 QBs. That is incorrect.

It is pointless arguing over whose speculation is more right because we are both speculating. So let's make this simple, for anyone that believes the 5 things I enumerated, it is obvious Trubs is one of the worst busts in franchise history right now. You are free to believe what you want as the question of what constitutes a bust is subjective.

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
No you just didn't bother to read. It says top 7 draft mistakes of the past 5 years ie since Pace has been GM. So 2015 draft to now.

Bears fans are so sensitive. Quick to white knight for Pace without even bothering to read what the article actually says. The article title is literally.

Ranking the 7 Biggest Draft Mistakes of the Past 5 Years

I'm glad we can count on people like you to set everything straight.

the article did state that "he'll go down as the biggest draft bust in franchise history" however. I think that goes outside your little 5 year window. if it said "he'll go down as the biggest draft bust during Ryan Pace's tenure" I would buy your fucking theory.

carry on.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm glad we can count on people like you to set everything straight.

the article did state that "he'll go down as the biggest draft bust in franchise history" however. I think that goes outside your little 5 year window. if it said "he'll go down as the biggest draft bust during Ryan Pace's tenure" I would buy your fucking theory.

carry on.

As has already been stated, the article linked was commenting on another article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...est-draft-mistakes-of-the-past-5-years#slide3

This is the original and it is ranking the top 7 draft mistakes of the last 5 years. So the list is only of players in the last 5 years. Separate from that in commenting on the list of players only from the last 5 years, the author of the linked article says Trubs may go down as biggest bust in Bears history. That comment has nothing to do with the list of 7 which is based on the last 5 years.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I can't dog the White pack. At the time he was BPA. Who could've seen those injuries derailing his career?

Mitch on the other hand, that horse has been beaten to a pulp.

mecha

Liked Posts:
As has already been stated, the article linked was commenting on another article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...est-draft-mistakes-of-the-past-5-years#slide3

This is the original and it is ranking the top 7 draft mistakes of the last 5 years. So the list is only of players in the last 5 years. Separate from that in commenting on the list of players only from the last 5 years, the author of the linked article says Trubs may go down as biggest bust in Bears history. That comment has nothing to do with the list of 7 which is based on the last 5 years.

you truly are an asset to CCS. fuck all the haters. thank you for all that you do.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I can't dog the White pack. At the time he was BPA. Who could've seen those injuries derailing his career?

truly, Mitch is the only head scratcher. You can completely understand the KW pick and even the Floyd Pick.

KW had no injury history and granted he had one year of production but he absolutely BEASTED in that year and then ran a 4.3 40 and was built like an absolute monster.

It's truly a fuckin shame the guy busted out.

msadows

Liked Posts:
3/4 assumed we'd go KW with our pick when the actual draft happened. Chucky only thought we'd go defense because John Fox.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Its funny because 5 years ago everyone was in love with the KW pick.

Every one of you little turds would have picked him at #7 too.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Its funny because 5 years ago everyone was in love with the KW pick.

Every one of you little turds would have picked him at #7 too.

Nope was not in love with it. Thought it was silly to trade away Marshall just to then blow a 1st rounder on his replacement. This is something I argued with DaBears with back then. I wanted us to draft Beasley which then would likely have meant we didn't draft Floyd in 2016. The White pick basically fucked up two drafts.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The White pick can be dogged because Pace created a hole and then fucked up his solution for it. Marhsall had 1500 yards and 14 TDs after we traded him to the Jets for a pick. Granted that pick turned into Amos but reality is he blew that whole series of events. Trade productive WR of for 5th. Take 1 year wonder at position you just traded away, trade up to draft a passer rusher because you passed on drafting one the year before in favor of position for whole you created.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nope was not in love with it. Thought it was silly to trade away Marshall just to then blow a 1st rounder on his replacement. This is something I argued with DaBears with back then. I wanted us to draft Beasley which then would likely have meant we didn't draft Floyd in 2016. The White pick basically fucked up two drafts.

You mean the guy who was becoming a locker room cancer(again) on a terrible team that was in a rebuild? Yes, it was so silly.

Marshall was gone the moment he bitched out robbie gould for being "just a kicker".

There was no room on the roster for a primadonna WR on the wrong side of 30 on a roster who severely lacked talent. Pace knew that by the time they competed again Marshall would not be around and would just lead to the increased failure of this squad.

Say what you want about pace but he completely revamped this culture, and trading away Bmarsh was an essential part to that.

BTW, KW was by far the BPA at that pick, and it wasn't close.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The White pick can be dogged because Pace created a hole and then fucked up his solution for it. Marhsall had 1500 yards and 14 TDs after we traded him to the Jets for a pick. Granted that pick turned into Amos but reality is he blew that whole series of events. Trade productive WR of for 5th. Take 1 year wonder at position you just traded away, trade up to draft a passer rusher because you passed on drafting one the year before in favor of position for whole you created.

this isn't madden.

There was a lot of reasons why marshall was traded, production wasn't one of them.