Article on Biggest Recent Draft Mistakes

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
So your whole post is the fact we passed on two other dudes who had no guarantee to be successful here.

Actually, given the track record, its more likely they wouldn't have succeeded here.
I honestly think that if we had drafted Mahomes, under Fox, in that O, with that lame ass qb coach, we would now be complaining that we reached on a gimmicky System QB who put gaudy numbers in the Air Raid. We would be so mad that Reid went with the best athlete and turned Mitch into a super Bowl winning QB that is about to head up the dynasty of the ‘20’s.

Hindsight is 20/20, especially when you remove the context. The same plus for Deshaun Watson.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I honestly think that if we had drafted Mahomes, under Fox, in that O, with that lame ass qb coach, we would now be complaining that we reached on a gimmicky System QB who put gaudy numbers in the Air Raid. We would be so mad that Reid went with the best athlete and turned Mitch into a super Bowl winning QB that is about to head up the dynasty of the ‘20’s.

Hindsight is 20/20, especially when you remove the context. The same plus for Deshaun Watson.

Lol, if you can't see the difference in arm talent between Mahomes and Trubisky then don't know what to tell you. It is an insult to Mahomes talent and ability to presume the difference between he and Mitch is simply coaching.

You have to be naturally gifted to figure things out as quickly as Mahomes did. We aren't talking about someone who sat for years and years. We are talking about someone that picked things up in a year. He understands the offense whereas Mitch still looks like he struggles with basic concepts in a similar offense. That aint coaching. That is one's own capacity for learning. Mitch looks like a slow learner. Mahomes looks like a fast learner.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Lol, if you can't see the difference in arm talent between Mahomes and Trubisky then don't know what to tell you. It is an insult to Mahomes talent and ability to presume the difference between he and Mitch is simply coaching.

You have to be naturally gifted to figure things out as quickly as Mahomes did. We aren't talking about someone who sat for years and years. We are talking about someone that picked things up in a year. He understands the offense whereas Mitch still looks like he struggles with basic concepts in a similar offense. That aint coaching. That is one's own capacity for learning. Mitch looks like a slow learner. Mahomes looks like a fast learner.

Well, mahomes is much more talented, but I don't think he really understood the scheme that well during his 50 burger season.

His offense was full of guys who were very open. You combine that with the fact he has a generational arm and it will be lights out. HE was basically playing backyard football in 2018.'

He even admitted it himself that he didn't really know the scheme till about now. Which, I honestly completely believe.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The Chargers traded from 3 to 2 in 1998 and took Ryan Leaf. That is and will always be worse than the Trubisky pick.

They could have taken Charles Woodson or Randy Moss if I think in hindsight like people on here like to do so often.
As of right now, yeah, but in 8 - 10 years from now...well see.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, mahomes is much more talented, but I don't think he really understood the scheme that well during his 50 burger season.

His offense was full of guys who were very open. You combine that with the fact he has a generational arm and it will be lights out. HE was basically playing backyard football in 2018.'

He even admitted it himself that he didn't really know the scheme till about now. Which, I honestly completely believe.

He understood the scheme enough to hit the open guys. Trubs misses reads and doesn't see guys that are open quite a bit.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The combination of Rex Grossman/Michael Haynes to me is still a ton worse.

Come @ me. You had the #4 pick, you traded down, and picked two scrubs with it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He understood the scheme enough to hit the open guys. Trubs misses reads and doesn't see guys that are open quite a bit.

Every QB misses reads. Every QB lingers on targets. Every qb usually goes to his first reads.

This is no different for mitch as it is aaron rodgers or mahomes.

The difference is that mitch, like you said, can't hit open guys.

I never believed the "cant read defenses" trash take. He reads them fine enough, his issue is confidence and accuracy. There are plenty of times where he sees the read but is late on a decision. He got very good at this near the end of 2018 where he was quick and decisive with the ball like most WCO QB's.

Mahomes, not the issue. The guy believes he can make every throw and unleashes the moment he sees an open guy, which, usually is the first guy he looks at.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Mitch can read the defense well enough.. If he couldn't then he would be throwing a lot more interceptions. His issue is and always will be accuracy and confidence.

He can throw a dime one play and then the next 4 miss a route by 10 yards.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

...which is scary as @*!!. The only consolation prize is they're going to have to pay him so much money that their defense is going to perennially suck.

msadows

Liked Posts:
...which is scary as @*!!. The only consolation prize is they're going to have to pay him so much money that their defense is going to perennially suck.

Any team can be beat. I don't think they'll be a dynasty. Mahomes might win 1 or 2 more.

But yea, he's probably going to go down as the best ever if they keep him protected and keep stacking talent around him.

KC knew how to build a squad, then they made it as easy as possible for their young QB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Every QB misses reads. Every QB lingers on targets. Every qb usually goes to his first reads.

This is no different for mitch as it is aaron rodgers or mahomes.

The difference is that mitch, like you said, can't hit open guys.

I never believed the "cant read defenses" trash take. He reads them fine enough, his issue is confidence and accuracy. There are plenty of times where he sees the read but is late on a decision. He got very good at this near the end of 2018 where he was quick and decisive with the ball like most WCO QB's.

Mahomes, not the issue. The guy believes he can make every throw and unleashes the moment he sees an open guy, which, usually is the first guy he looks at.

Not everyone misses them with the frequency of Mitch. And if Mahomes has the confidence then that is another reason why he would have succeeded so trying to pin it all on coaching is odd.

Mitch can read the defense well enough.. If he couldn't then he would be throwing a lot more interceptions. His issue is and always will be accuracy and confidence.

He can throw a dime one play and then the next 4 miss a route by 10 yards.

No he cant read so he holds the ball. There are ample examples of an open guy in front of him and he hesitates and the opportunity is lost. He leaves a lot of plays on the field because of that even if he isnt throwing Ints.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As of right now, yeah, but in 8 - 10 years from now...well see.
Trubisky has already done way more in his career than Leaf ever did so not sure how time will change that? Please elaborate?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trubisky has already done way more in his career than Leaf ever did so not sure how time will change that? Please elaborate?

Thing is there was no one the Chargers could draft that would have made them a SB contender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NFL_Draft

Trubs stings more IMO because if Mahomes or Watson win multiple SBs while we waste a top 5 D then we would have missed out on a player that would have actually given us SB titles unlike the Chargers.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Amazing how many on this thread are reading impaired, Franchise history means Russel and Leaf have no fucking place in the discussion

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Pace is sometimes bad, had bad luck, and placed in a bad situation. The Bears are a bad franchise.

Pace still hasn’t proven much after 5 seasons. He’s pretty good in FA and finds platoon players in the later rounds. I can count maybe 5/6 quality wins in his career. I’m sick of watching a bad product. Get this shit fixed!

Last edited: