Article on Biggest Recent Draft Mistakes

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You mean the guy who was becoming a locker room cancer(again) on a terrible team that was in a rebuild? Yes, it was so silly.

Marshall was gone the moment he bitched out robbie gould for being "just a kicker".

There was no room on the roster for a primadonna WR on the wrong side of 30 on a roster who severely lacked talent. Pace knew that by the time they competed again Marshall would not be around and would just lead to the increased failure of this squad.

Say what you want about pace but he completely revamped this culture, and trading away Bmarsh was an essential part to that.

BTW, KW was by far the BPA at that pick, and it wasn't close.

Yes it was so silly. You don't give away a guy with his production for a 5th rounder. That guy on wrong side of 30 exceeded Kevin White's entire NFL production in his first 3 games with the Jets on the way to 1500 yards and 14 TDs.

In any event, your claim was that we all wanted White so just pointing out you are factually inaccurate. There is no point rehashing the Marshall stuff as you will defend Pace no matter what. I would just advise you to stop making bullshit statements that you can't support. Not everyone wanted White. That is a flat out lie to suit your narrative.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000488358/article/2015-nfl-draft-mike-mayocks-top-100-prospects

This man is the GM of an NFL team.

He had him as his #3 prospect in the draft.

Just sayin.

Yeah and if he makes a lot of decisions like Kevin White now that he is GM, he will likely be fired. We all understand the draft is not an exact science but Pace has basically fucked up 3 out of 4 top 10 picks so this isn't just a single draft mistake.

Can you think of anyone else that has fucked up 3 out of 4 top 10 picks n quick succession like Pace?

mecha

Liked Posts:
Nope was not in love with it. Thought it was silly to trade away Marshall just to then blow a 1st rounder on his replacement. This is something I argued with DaBears with back then. I wanted us to draft Beasley which then would likely have meant we didn't draft Floyd in 2016. The White pick basically fucked up two drafts.

I still think dumping Marshall was Special person. it had a cascade effect too. it ruined Jeffery for whatever reason. a professional athlete. he got a ring, I guess he did alright for himself. but fuck him too.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This article is shit.
Trubs worst pick in history? Uhm.. Jamarcus Russell? Garbage.
Well, IF Mitch stays the same, and doesn't become a winning QB, and Patrick Mahomes continue down this path of greatness, then, yeah Mitch could be looked at as the worst pick in history from the standpoint of where he was picked, and who the Bears passed on.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, IF Mitch stays the same, and doesn't become a winning QB, and Patrick Mahomes continue down this path of greatness, then, yeah Mitch could be looked at as the worst pick in history from the standpoint of where he was picked, and who the Bears passed on.
The Chargers traded from 3 to 2 in 1998 and took Ryan Leaf. That is and will always be worse than the Trubisky pick.

They could have taken Charles Woodson or Randy Moss if I think in hindsight like people on here like to do so often.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This article is shit.
Trubs worst pick in history? Uhm.. Jamarcus Russell? Garbage.
Um the Redskins gave up a lot more to move up to the #2 position (3-1st round picks and a 2nd round pick) to pick RGIII? While RGIII was exciting and got his team to the playoffs and won the division, so did Trubisky......

There is a lot of truth in this article but Pace is not the only GM to screw the pooch.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Um the Redskins gave up a lot more to move up to the #2 position (3-1st round picks and a 2nd round pick) to pick RGIII? While RGIII was exciting and got his team to the playoffs and won the division, so did Trubisky......

There is a lot of truth in this article but Pace is not the only GM to screw the pooch.

No one says he is.

Most GMs who trade up and screw the pooch in the top 5 also get fired.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
forgot about that lad. Rashaan Salaam, another champion. Bears spending 1st round picks on RBs is almost as silly as Al Davis drafting a kicker in the 1st... except that guy was actually super good. but fucking wow.
Back then the value of the RB position was much greater and it was common for teams to draft them in the first round

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Few GMs fuck up high draft picks like Pace though. I would challenge anyone to find a GM with 4 top 10 picks that came away with a worse return than White, Floyd, Trubs and Smith. It is truly remarkable to get it so wrong that high in the draft and all in a row to boot.

But there's only one bad miss there which looks to be Trubisky. I know you'll never admit you're wrong and i'm kinda tired of saying over and over and over again (this is how you tire people into submission) that K.White was drafted right where he was supposed to go but injuries got the best of him which can't be put on Pace by anyone but Pace haters reaching for reasons to hate on him more then they already do. The L.Floyd draft was absolutely horrible, there were like 2-3 guys in the entire 1st round that were drafted after him that were any good in the NFL and even they aren't great so that wasn't a horrible pick unless you aren't smart enough to realize that being good against the run and in coverage is actually a good thing for a OLB which is why he was signed after not even being a free agent for a full day. Did i really just see you put R.Smith in there? hahaha...IGNORANCE.

I know you're Dan Orlovsky cause you say things just like he does on ESPN. He's the guy that every time he says something he thinks he's saying something nobody else didn't already know but everyone actually does already know it. Every time he opens his mouth on the shows he does all the other people on the set are shaking their heads at him and laughing. This is what happens on here. You are Dan Orlovsky. LOL

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
White was crap when he was on the field. Bad routes, mediocre hands, and not knowing the playbook.

Yeah not sure if you know this but it usually takes most of the guys actual time on the field in games to get adjusted to the NFL, and not sure if you know this but K.White never got any kind of consistent playing time. But i guess that's just all bullshit and you think every player should be able to make the adjustment without actually getting consistent playing time. He might of still been a bust if he never got hurt, we'll never know that answer because he did have some question marks about him coming out as most do.

I get it that you did a complete 180 on Pace in 1 year but you have too much common sense to not understand that some thing are out of Pace's hands and he can't predict if a player will get hurt over and over and over again.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No one says he is.

Most GMs who trade up and screw the pooch in the top 5 also get fired.

Yeah the ones who haven't done enough good things to overlook a couple of misses. Pace has done a ton of good in drafts and free agency.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
White was crap when he was on the field. Bad routes, mediocre hands, and not knowing the playbook.

Just goes to show you that as an evaluator, don't trust a guy who's only done it for one year (White was only really productive in his last year of school). And the combine should re-affirm what your eyes tell you; it shouldn't change your mind.

FoCo

Liked Posts:
Pace screwed up more than the other gms that traded up. Ryan Leaf was the consensus number two pick and some had him number one. Same with RGIII. Go look at mock drafts from 1998 and 2012. In 2017 the story line was that it wasn't a great qb class. That's why when the Bears traded up to 2 nobody had a clue of what they were doing because there was no player worthy of trading up to two for. Well, it turns out there was a player or two worthy of trading up to two for but it definitely wasn't Trubisky,

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
what a crappy sample size to form an evaluation. worst picks for only this franchise in the past 5 years? this is essentially narrowing it down to Pace and his busts. it would be more valuable to say worst picks league wide in the past 5 years or worst franchise picks in the last decade.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But there's only one bad miss there which looks to be Trubisky. I know you'll never admit you're wrong and i'm kinda tired of saying over and over and over again (this is how you tire people into submission) that K.White was drafted right where he was supposed to go but injuries got the best of him which can't be put on Pace by anyone but Pace haters reaching for reasons to hate on him more then they already do. The L.Floyd draft was absolutely horrible, there were like 2-3 guys in the entire 1st round that were drafted after him that were any good in the NFL and even they aren't great so that wasn't a horrible pick unless you aren't smart enough to realize that being good against the run and in coverage is actually a good thing for a OLB which is why he was signed after not even being a free agent for a full day. Did i really just see you put R.Smith in there? hahaha...IGNORANCE.

I know you're Dan Orlovsky cause you say things just like he does on ESPN. He's the guy that every time he says something he thinks he's saying something nobody else didn't already know but everyone actually does already know it. Every time he opens his mouth on the shows he does all the other people on the set are shaking their heads at him and laughing. This is what happens on here. You are Dan Orlovsky. LOL

White was a bad pick because he failed. I don't give a shit about him going where he was supposed to be. Technically the same can be said for Trubs because he was alleged to have been the top QB prospect and other teams were looking at him that high.

So how have you decided that White is not a miss but Mitch is? The fact is you are just arbitrarily deciding based on trying to appear reasonable. So you will concede on Trubs but not White when the reality is both went where they were suppose to go. The only thing that matters is both have thus far failed in the NFL.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but when the pick was made did you complain about it, or did you think White was BPA?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
what a crappy sample size to form an evaluation. worst picks for only this franchise in the past 5 years? this is essentially narrowing it down to Pace and his busts. it would be more valuable to say worst picks league wide in the past 5 years or worst franchise picks in the last decade.

The bold is what the list is. I presume they used 5 years as that is Pace's tenor but it was worst picks the past 5 years of everyone hence why Bears had 2 out of 7 on list. Trubs was 3rd on the list so not even considered the worst the past 5 years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but when the pick was made did you complain about it, or did you think White was BPA?

Why would that matter? I am sure Windy would be the first to admit that if he had taken White, Floyd and Trubs that he would expect his job to be in jeopardy like Pace's should be.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Yes he was put the poster you responded to was correct. White was up there on the majority of draft boards.