Article: Whatever happens, the Bears must keep Cutler

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Because we just can't have enough Jay Cutler discussion:

http://www.vavel.com/en-us/nfl/249985-whatever-happens-this-season-the-chicago-bears-must-keep-jay-cutler.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

There is no more isolating position in world sport than an NFL Quarterback. No other position in any other team-driven game is analysed so much, discussed so often and so openly favoured in budgets and tactics like an NFL quarterback.

Aside from Tim Tebow(if you can consider him an NFL quarterback ), there probably isn't a passer more scrutinised than Jay Cutler of the Chicago Bears.

In a sports obsessed city that despite the Blackhawks Stanley Cup magic is still resolutely a football place, Jay Cutler is the most opinion-splitting athlete by a long way. He currently has competition from Derrick Rose, but when the PG goes back to scoring 25 points a game then the Windy City will re-adopt him. Cutler however, has no such guarantee of production, and that's the problem.

For a franchise as storied as the Bears, to have only one truly great QB in Sid Luckman in it's entire history is a travesty. The Bears passing misery is so much that Cutler, he of 4 average seasons as Bears signal caller, is closing on passing records for completion and attempts already.

Cutler arrived as the savior for a team starved of offensive excellence, the guy who will change the franchise's identity from a defence-led team and drag Chicago into a new era of airborne passes and modernity.

What has happened instead, is four seasons that have ranged from mediocre, to good, to downright awful. 148 sacks and a completion rate that has gradually decreased since joining the Bears(60.5% in '09, 60.4% in '10, 58.0% in '11 and 58.8% in 2012), Cutler's time in Chicago has not been the team-altering success that was hoped when the Vanderbilt graduate arrived at Halas Hall.

Not that it's all his fault, it must be said. Cutler has had 4 offensive co-ordinators in 5 years including this year's overhaul, an offensive line that has been atrocious without exception during his entire tenure as a Bear and without a certified #1 reciever until last season. Previously, Cutler had been throwing passes to converted punt returners and average WR's when not running for his life under pressure from defensive lineman all around the league.

His talent is unquestioned - his arm power is astonishing and despite his completion rate he is a very accurate passer, especially when fitting the ball into tight windows in double coverage. In terms of pure talent, Cutler has always had the potential to be considered elite in his position and one of the best QB's in the NFC(no, really) but a poor supporting cast has often prevented him from showing off his ability on a regular basis.

However, that *should* change this year. Given that it's Cutler's contract year and could well be his last opportunity to make the transition from "occasionally good" QB to just "good" or even "great", Phil Emery and his front office have gone all out to make sure Cutler has all the tools to be successful and if he doesn't - no excuses for why he failed.

He has a revamped offensive line for a start - now including a pro bowl left tackle(Jermon Bushrod), a 1st round draft pick(Kyle Long) and a guy who has started 48 straight games on a decent offensive line (Matt Slauson). Even if it doesn't match the production expected from it, Cutler should have noticeably improved pass protection and the sack count should be much reduced too.

He also has a real tight end who can catch a football in Martellus Bennet, and a fit prospect in the #2 wide reciever position in Alshon Jeffery plus Brandon Marshall and Mat Forte.

Most importantly however, he has a new coach who was specifically brought in to add variety to an offence that has been sorely lacking and to fix those all-important "mechanics" of Cutler's to transform him into the QB, franchise leader and reference point that all Bears fans want him to become.

Cutler's tendency to hold onto the ball too long has been a constant criticism of the former Bronco, who tends not to like giving up on a play because of his implicit trust in his own arm strength. Trestman's strict West Coast style should go a long way to fixing that, with news emerging that the former CFL coach has put a clock in the Walter Payton centre to limit the amount of time Cutler spends on the ball, and when to give up on a play.

Trestman will also look to move the ball around the field, making the offence less predictable and take a bit of pressure of Brandon Marshall, who often carried the passing attack on his shoulders last season. With Marshall's hip surgery meaning that the former Dolphins reciever is only now approaching a physical condition that allows him to train, having a few other guys to toss the ball to isn't a bad idea.

Cutler has it all to make the leap, and many are expecting to do that.

However, if Cutler doesn't make the leap that Emery and co are expecting Jay to make, that doesn't mean that it should be the end of the Bears-Cutler partnership. If Cutler has another average season, the Bears should re-sign him anyway.

Why? Because there simply isn't a better option.

That sounds awfully cynical and makes it sound like Cutler is the fall back option for a team that wants to move on, but it isn't. It's a statement of fact. The Bears in the long term would benefit much more from re-signing Cutler even if he didn't dazzle under centre in 2013(an average year wold actually mean that the Bears wold have to pay him less, so might be financially beneficial anyway, but that's not really the angle I'm taking) than if they looked to draft or trade again.

Unless the Bears go 1-15 then the chances of a high draft pick are low. Even if Chicago flatter to decieve and end the year disappointingly, at worse they should hover near the .500 mark. There is too much talent on the Chicago roster for an awful season, and therefore the chances of a top #5 pick in the 2014 draft is unlikely unless the Bears trade up, and the Bears should definitely not trade up.

Given the 2014 cap scenario in Chicago there is a number of players set to become free agents after this season, including the only young member of the starting defence in Henry Melton, one of the best CB's the NFL Charles TIllman and his sidekick Tim Jennings. The 2014 season will also be Julius Pepper's last contractual year in Chicago and the same goes for star wide reciever Brandon Marshall. Changes are set to be afoot in Chicago and even in the unlikely event that Emery brings back all the players I just mentioned, the need for long term replacements will become urgent by the following year anyway.

By handing over future first round picks to guarantee a top pick in the draft the Bears would tying their future to a QB while ignoring the needs of their aging defence. Only on Madden can you replace Tillman, Briggs and Peppers without any first round picks, and even then it's tricky. The Bears trying to do that in real life would be suicide.

Even if it pays off and the Bears manage to get themselves the 2014 RG3/Luck scenario, a QB won't get you all the way. The Ravens won the SB(twice) thanks to a great defence matched with good but not great QB while Aaron Rodgers, the best QB in the league has only been to one Superbowl so far and you can blame defence for why they didn't make it last season, and probably won't this year. You need balance.

By resigning Cutler for the going rate for decent QB's (around 15m a year) the Bears keep the lynchpin of their offence while allowing themselves room to negotiate their cap and protecting their future by having picks. The more consistent sides in the NFL like the Packers, the Steelers and the Patriots build through the draft and often avoid FA like the plague unless absolutely necessary, and it's worked pretty well for those guys. Yes, they have elite QB's that is very often the difference, but constant short-stop signings don't keep a franchise above water very long, sooner or later the "win now" mentality will bite you on the ass if you don't actually win now.

With Cutler and a few other key pieces approaching the end of their contracts(and for some, the end of their careers), the Bears are in a position that can legitimately regarded as now or never. However, if Cutler doesn't impress and the Bears go all out for another expensive trip to find a franchise quarterback elsewhere, the resulting collateral could mean that the 28 year wait for another Bears Superbowl Shuffe could continue for some time.

Have at it
:jackson:

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
:bearbang:

Dis gon be fun.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too much can happen. Depends how Cutler performs, if they can get a deal done, who is available via trade, FA, draft, where the Bears are drafting, etc etc etc etc etc.

I think saying that in July of 2013 that "no matter what happens" the Bears need to keep Cutler around for 2014 and possibly beyond is football stupid.

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
Too much can happen. Depends how Cutler performs, if they can get a deal done, who is available via trade, FA, draft, where the Bears are drafting, etc etc etc etc etc.

I think saying that in July of 2013 that "no matter what happens" the Bears need to keep Cutler around for 2014 and possibly beyond is football stupid.

What do you know Packer Fan? :troll:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not surprising for a Packer fan wanting to see the Bears go down the tube..

Huh?

So you agree with the article?

"Whatever happens" the Bears should keep Cutler?

If Cutler implodes and goes throws 5 TD's to 27INT's and has the worst season in NFL history the Bears should keep him?

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Huh?

So you agree with the article?

"Whatever happens" the Bears should keep Cutler?

If Cutler implodes and goes throws 5 TD's to 27INT's and has the worst season in NFL history the Bears should keep him?
Well heck no! But dont think thats gonna happen reguardless what that article says, I think Jay will be, if not good at least medicore which if that happens and it will then you keep Jay around a few more years until you find better....

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
Or if he gets another concussion or two, and turns into rain man, bears should keep him??

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Getting burned out of backing up Cutler but I'll speak my piece, as I usually do. It's the one subject that annoys me to know end: The general dislike of Cutler

The Bears have had 4 offensive coordinators in 5 years, I cannot name a qb who has been successful with that many different systems. None of those coaches have been interviewed(besides Martz) for the same position elsewhere in the league. If anything, they were demoted. That leads me to believe the rest of the league saw that it was not Jay Cutler who was the issue, but the mind of the offensive staff. If Cutler was the issue, Tice, Martz or Turner would've been snagged up and the explanation would be the OC had crappy qb to work with, and not his fault for their mediocrity. (I.E.- Mike Mccarthy in SF).

The Chicago Bears have had horrendous wide recievers upto the Brandon Marshall trade. If we were to name the Bears starting #1's during Cutlers tenure here it would look something alone the lines of this. Roy Williams( #1 reciever...), Devin Hester, Rashied Davis, Devin Aromashdu and Jonny Knox; Am I missing anyone? Besides Earl Bennett, none of them have or were regular contributors on the offensive side of ball. Nor were they or should have been deemed #1 recievers. Again, if it was the crappy qb of Cutler, they would have found jobs giving them the same oppurunity here, but alas.. None did.

The offensive line has been a sticking point with me since the year they didn't retain Ruben Brown for 1 more season. It's been awful, and I mean... Awful. They have given up on Cutler alone, 118 sacks in less than 3 seasons( Does anyone have a stat for HITS included?); that's insane. Granted those numbers should be even higher if Cutler didn't have the athletiscim that he does. Problem lies in that doesn't even tell the whol story of that joke of a line. We saw just how much worse it truly is when Jason Campbell had to run for his life as if the fear of god rattled him at the end of the 1st quarter. I think the line was exposed to just how bad it was during that game, and it showed. Again, if Cutler was the culprit, I'm sure some of the linemen we had since his tenure would have left and gone on to enjoy a very solid career with a qb who doesn't hold ball too long. Yet again, only one I'm remembering is Chilo going to the Cardinals with a chance to start, and Carimi getting a fresh one in Tampa.

I'm not a stat guy, but according to an article posted November 26, 2012, the Chicago Bears were 25-10 with him starting and finishing a game since 2010(after his fist year with Turner). Without Cutler? The Chicago Bears are 2-7. If the defense was the main point of this team(which it was) and Cutler didn't have much to do with that stat; then what happened in '11 when Cutler went out with t he thumb, and Caleb Hanie put a team with a 7-1 record to missing the playoffs? I think that is showing everyone the importance of Cutler. That's insane! Sidenote: Just another reason why Mike Martz was th scapegoat for Lovie's incompetence, he never wanted Hanie as the #2; and I think we all saw why. Cutler/Martz were on fire during that '11 stretch before his injury, oh what could have been a very interesting season ending in jury. Ugh. Now some on here think Matt Blanchard is some future qb?(lol). Cmon!

Point being, the last position I'm worried about is th QB. I'm worried about the LB's, DL and OL. Not th WR, QB or TE(fingers crossed). It's sad that Chicagoans follow the media so blindly to tell them to hate Cutler because of camera shots and journalists, it really is. I prefer Nashville and Austin over my homecity, but for football I always said we in Chicago know the most. Now? I just don't know bout that anymore.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not that it's all his fault, it must be said. Cutler has had 4 offensive co-ordinators in 5 years including this year's overhaul, an offensive line that has been atrocious without exception during his entire tenure as a Bear and without a certified #1 reciever until last season. Previously, Cutler had been throwing passes to converted punt returners and average WR's when not running for his life under pressure from defensive lineman all around the league.

My save the fan-boys some time post.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

fu.gif

Desperado34

Liked Posts:

How's that fan boy when it's just facts.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
this thread smells like victory <insert pic of robert duval in cav hat here>

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why argue with a packer fan? All you get is the equivilent of cheese whiz when he opens his mouth - a lot of crap and nothing of substance.

Good point.

:andruw:

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Getting burned out of backing up Cutler but I'll speak my piece, as I usually do. It's the one subject that annoys me to know end: The general dislike of Cutler

The Bears have had 4 offensive coordinators in 5 years, I cannot name a qb who has been successful with that many different systems. None of those coaches have been interviewed(besides Martz) for the same position elsewhere in the league. If anything, they were demoted. That leads me to believe the rest of the league saw that it was not Jay Cutler who was the issue, but the mind of the offensive staff. If Cutler was the issue, Tice, Martz or Turner would've been snagged up and the explanation would be the OC had crappy qb to work with, and not his fault for their mediocrity. (I.E.- Mike Mccarthy in.

The Chicago Bears have had horrendous wide recievers upto the Brandon Marshall trade. If we were to name the Bears starting #1's during Cutlers tenure here it would look something alone the lines of this. Roy Williams( #1 reciever...), Devin Hester, Rashied Davis, Devin Aromashdu and Jonny Knox; Am I missing anyone? Besides Earl Bennett, none of them have or were regular contributors on the offensive side of ball. Nor were they or should have been deemed #1 recievers. Again, if it was the crappy qb of Cutler, they would have found jobs giving them the same oppurunity here, but alas.. None did.

The offensive line has been a sticking point with me since the year they didn't retain Ruben Brown for 1 more season. It's been awful, and I mean... Awful. They have given up on Cutler alone, 118 sacks in less than 3 seasons( Does anyone have a stat for HITS included?); that's insane. Granted those numbers should be even higher if Cutler didn't have the athletiscim that he does. Problem lies in that doesn't even tell the whol story of that joke of a line. We saw just how much worse it truly is when Jason Campbell had to run for his life as if the fear of god rattled him at the end of the 1st quarter. I think the line was exposed to just how bad it was during that game, and it showed. Again, if Cutler was the culprit, I'm sure some of the linemen we had since his tenure would have left and gone on to enjoy a very solid career with a qb who doesn't hold ball too long. Yet again, only one I'm remembering is Chilo going to the Cardinals with a chance to start, and Carimi getting a fresh one in Tampa.

I'm not a stat guy, but according to an article posted November 26, 2012, the Chicago Bears were 25-10 with him starting and finishing a game since 2010(after his fist year with Turner). Without Cutler? The Chicago Bears are 2-7. If the defense was the main point of this team(which it was) and Cutler didn't have much to do with that stat; then what happened in '11 when Cutler went out with t he thumb, and Caleb Hanie put a team with a 7-1 record to missing the playoffs? I think that is showing everyone the importance of Cutler. That's insane! Sidenote: Just another reason why Mike Martz was th scapegoat for Lovie's incompetence, he never wanted Hanie as the #2; and I think we all saw why. Cutler/Martz were on fire during that '11 stretch before his injury, oh what could have been a very interesting season ending in jury. Ugh. Now some on here think Matt Blanchard is some future qb?(lol). Cmon!

Point being, the last position I'm worried about is th QB. I'm worried about the LB's, DL and OL. Not th WR, QB or TE(fingers crossed). It's sad that Chicagoans follow the media so blindly to tell them to hate Cutler because of camera shots and journalists, it really is. I prefer Nashville and Austin over my homecity, but for football I always said we in Chicago know the most. Now? I just don't know bout that anymore.

Do some homework! Knox was clearly better than Bennett, LEAPS AND BOUNDS BETTER.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Do some homework! Knox was clearly better than Bennett, LEAPS AND BOUNDS BETTER.

That you said that really shows you to be an idiot.

Knox benefited from being force-fed in a Martz system and had really one productive year. He routinely dropped balls, was scared of contact, and ran blatantly wrong routes year after year.

Bennet's numbers are lower because he was often the 3rd option, but collected a lot of the "dirty yards" underneath, and consistently moved the chains and picked up first downs. One year he had the fewest drops in the entire league I believe, all while doing that dirty work.

Next time you open your pie hole, do more than just look at a stat line.