AT&T anyone?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Roku has more apps than any of them, including all of the majors. The only thing you can't do is jailbreak and install something like Kodi. I have all the major devices, Roku is the best for ready-to-go set-tops under $100. You'd have to point to another android device and stream to TV, which IMO is stupid, but some people have an extra phone laying around. That's not something I condone.

As far as an android tv device, I use a number of them myself, rk3399 powered units, amlogics including a few S922X powered devices as well. They are good, but I would never suggest someone start with one unless they already know their way around the nuts and bolts of android, and not just googling a guide and using installers.

Fire TVs are ok. but I run into this problem constantly with people I know who have a jailbroken Fire Stick, or something that they can't figure out. The fixes are usually simple, but it's seriously annoying. Plus the hardware is pretty slow. I don't LOVE Roku, but if you get the newest Ultra, I'm going to stand by it. You can't beat what you're getting.
I don't even need another streaming device, but after looking at the Shield, now I want one. Thing looks sick.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I looked into both Hulu and YouTube and it looks like YouTube would fit into what I would use more. So that plus hbo plus showtime plus nfl game pass is what I’m looking at getting. I’m pretty much device shopping right now. If I told you what I’m paying for directv right now you probably shart lol

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don't even need another streaming device, but after looking at the Shield, now I want one. Thing looks sick.

I don't know how the fuck nVidia got it right 5 years ago, and everyone STILL has these wonky slow half measure devices.

I got an updated model at some point, so I passed down my old one to my sister. She had just got the Fire TV Cube and was bragging on how fast it was. But I brought her my beat up first gen Shield because I upgraded and thought she was still using some old Samsung player(that I advised against, but why listen to the guy who fixes all your shit?). Well she didn't know WTF it was, did the whole, 'That's okay, I need another one for x-room that I'm barely in' type deal. We set it up and fast-forward a month, her new problem was being too lazy to switch the devices, as she was never watching TV in her living room anymore. You ask her why, she would complain about how the Fire TV is just such a slow device loading everything. LOL

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know how the fuck nVidia got it right 5 years ago, and everyone STILL has these wonky slow half measure devices.

I got an updated model at some point, so I passed down my old one to my sister. She had just got the Fire TV Cube and was bragging on how fast it was. But I brought her my beat up first gen Shield because I upgraded and thought she was still using some old Samsung player(that I advised against, but why listen to the guy who fixes all your shit?). Well she didn't know WTF it was, did the whole, 'That's okay, I need another one for x-room that I'm barely in' type deal. We set it up and fast-forward a month, her new problem was being too lazy to switch the devices, as she was never watching TV in her living room anymore. You ask her why, she would complain about how the Fire TV is just such a slow device loading everything. LOL

Shield is a top notch device.... my Mom cut the cord, I set her up with one.

I wish I could force every user of my Plex server to buy/use a Shield.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I don’t do any gaming so those $500 plus ones don’t make sense for me

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I don’t do any gaming so those $500 plus ones don’t make sense for me
Yeah, they did something funny, plus demand etc. There was a time where you could get the fully loaded 2017 models(not what I am suggesting) for $140 on sale, and they often had price drops for $200. For the most part nVidia makes great hardware, but they still do a few shady things, including developing for a business-model and price that keeps them from competing in the budget sectors.

I think these pill ones are good too, have the same real world performance, etc. But if you branch out, use a shield to do local storage stuff, that's where the budget model is not as good as a model with dedicated USB. I just wish I had first hand experience to say 100%.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I currently pay for att 18 for internet which is 18 mbps. Will I need to increase that? I have a box in 8 rooms right now and I would say 3-4 of them are in use most of the time

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Roku has more apps than any of them, including all of the majors. The only thing you can't do is jailbreak and install something like Kodi. I have all the major devices, Roku is the best for ready-to-go set-tops under $100. You'd have to point to another android device and stream to TV, which IMO is stupid, but some people have an extra phone laying around. That's not something I condone.

As far as an android tv device, I use a number of them myself, rk3399 powered units, amlogics including a few S922X powered devices as well. They are good, but I would never suggest someone start with one unless they already know their way around the nuts and bolts of android, and not just googling a guide and using installers.

Fire TVs are ok. but I run into this problem constantly with people I know who have a jailbroken Fire Stick, or something that they can't figure out. The fixes are usually simple, but it's seriously annoying. Plus the hardware is pretty slow. I don't LOVE Roku, but if you get the newest Ultra, I'm going to stand by it. You can't beat what you're getting.

The big difference between the two is that after researching a few years ago was the fact that the vast majority of apps for Roku are pay for play......VUDU, Hulu, Netflix etc. There's no Cinema HD or Cyberflix that give you access to everything for free or if you want the best links for about $3 a month through the Real Debrid links. I originally jumped into this because of Kodi but learned quickly about a far better option called Terrarium TV, one of the first APKs which is now gone but replaced by clones and completely new APK's like Cinema HD or Cyberflix. I admit, it was a bit confusing at first but someone put together an app called Filelinked that once installed gives you an easy way to install almost anything on your device. There are literally 100's of Filelinked stores around to choose from with everything from movie/tv APKs to video game emulators to IPTV apps all easily accessible and all free. A quick Google search will bring up the best of them along with their entry password. Sideloading apps is now as simple as two or three clicks. If I was still gaming, I'd pick up the Shield which combines the fastest android steaming device along with a pretty amazing deal on gaming.....the thing is, I'm not having any problems streaming entertainment with my existing device....so it would only be adding the gaming options. For those of you still into gaming and are looking for a great streaming device, give Shield a looksee....you will like what you find. But be warned, it is a bit pricey by comparison.

BTW, for anyone wondering...since Shield in an android device, Filelinked will work great with it.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The big difference between the two is that after researching a few years ago was the fact that the vast majority of apps for Roku are pay for play......VUDU, Hulu, Netflix etc. There's no Cinema HD or Cyberflix that give you access to everything for free or if you want the best links for about $3 a month through the Real Debrid links. I originally jumped into this because of Kodi but learned quickly about a far better option called Terrarium TV, one of the first APKs which is now gone but replaced by clones and completely new APK's like Cinema HD or Cyberflix. I admit, it was a bit confusing at first but someone put together an app called Filelinked that once installed gives you an easy way to install almost anything on your device. There are literally 100's of Filelinked stores around to choose from with everything from movie/tv APKs to video game emulators to IPTV apps all easily accessible and all free. A quick Google search will bring up the best of them along with their entry password. Sideloading apps is now as simple as two or three clicks. If I was still gaming, I'd pick up the Shield which combines the fastest android steaming device along with a pretty amazing deal on gaming.....the thing is, I'm not having any problems streaming entertainment with my existing device....so it would only be adding the gaming options. For those of you still into gaming and are looking for a great streaming device, give Shield a looksee....you will like what you find. But be warned, it is a bit pricey by comparison.

BTW, for anyone wondering...since Shield in an android device, Filelinked will work great with it.

I've owned them all, even the dreaded AppleTV devices, all gens. Anything I bought in 2016, 2017, 2018 is slow as shit and unusable. The Shield I got in 2015, still amazing. By comparison, it's the best investment by miles. It's sad. buy a Shield in 2016 for $200..... sticker shock, but you buy an Amlogic 8xx device in 2016, then in 2017 you buy another one because the first one only had 256 ram, and you really want that 512mb model with the higher clock, then in 2018 you get the refresh with1gb, then in 2019 you get 2gb and its still barely keeping up, each time about $60-80 *unless you buy a flimsy clone of a clone model that costs $35 off gearbest alibaba whoever that breaks after 6 months. And the whole time, that Shield is faster and more versatile, built to last. I know this resonates and sounds VERY familiar, especially to those who have been at the cord cutting since the 90s.

I have yet to find someone who dislikes the Shield. The temporary 4k breakage last spring seems to be the only issue that isn't part of the standard expected rate of defective models, and by comparison that issue really was nothing.

Also keep this in mind (not directed at anyone). People had their Xbox OGs on life support to do these things before the Shield came out. Seriously, in 2015 A LOT OF PEOPLE USED A GAME CONSOLE FROM 2001, not because it was super amazing, but because the competition was S H I T. Including Fire Sticks and Chromecasts.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've owned them all, even the dreaded AppleTV devices, all gens. Anything I bought in 2016, 2017, 2018 is slow as shit and unusable. The Shield I got in 2015, still amazing. By comparison, it's the best investment by miles. It's sad. buy a Shield in 2016 for $200..... sticker shock, but you buy an Amlogic 8xx device in 2016, then in 2017 you buy another one because the first one only had 256 ram, and you really want that 512mb model with the higher clock, then in 2018 you get the refresh with1gb, then in 2019 you get 2gb and its still barely keeping up, each time about $60-80 *unless you buy a flimsy clone of a clone model that costs $35 off gearbest alibaba whoever that breaks after 6 months. And the whole time, that Shield is faster and more versatile, built to last. I know this resonates and sounds VERY familiar, especially to those who have been at the cord cutting since the 90s.

I have yet to find someone who dislikes the Shield. The temporary 4k breakage last spring seems to be the only issue that isn't part of the standard expected rate of defective models, and by comparison that issue really was nothing.

Also keep this in mind (not directed at anyone). People had their Xbox OGs on life support to do these things before the Shield came out. Seriously, in 2015 A LOT OF PEOPLE USED A GAME CONSOLE FROM 2001, not because it was super amazing, but because the competition was S H I T. Including Fire Sticks and Chromecasts.

Yeah, I hear ya. I got both of my boxes from Amazon.....I read reviews from Chigs and he always links those overseas shops because of the prices they provide, but I wouldn't trust them. My oldest one is the H96 Pro Plus which at the time I purchased it, was highly rated. Not so much anymore....but hey, I got it hard wired to my modem and it still gives me kickass speeds that match my CPU and it's 4 years old. If it crapped out tomorrow, I'd still consider it a great buy and worth every penny of the $80 I spent.