Attitude Adjustment

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
I know it's been discussed many times before. About how the Offensive Line talent was so poor and how we needed some upgrades there.
But after thinking it over, I'm starting to believe that this was far more than just a happy coincidence. It's looking more and more like a systematic makeover of the entire position group.
Since when does a team remake nearly it's entire starting OLine ... replacing 4 out of 5 of them? It doesn't happen that often to be sure.

Now I realize that the talent level really was extraordinarily poor, but could this go even further than that?
Could it be possible that after evaluating just how bad they were, it was decided long ago, that nearly all of them needed to go.
That maybe the entire group had just been infected so badly that it all needed to go?
That maybe an entire attitude adjustment on the line was needed?

I mean, after all, there were some who could have been brought back if they'd really wanted to.
They could have taken a chance on Louis coming back healthy, or Carimi getting back to form, or E. Williams still having a little left, or even Webb finding some motivation somewhere other than the closest taco stand.
But instead, they brought in 4 Free agent linemen and drafted 2 more ... ALL of which may end up making the team.
Garza remains. His talent never was questioned, nor his attitude. Decline due to age is just the way it is.
Brown and Scott could probably both be included with the new guys since they were just brought on last season, and maybe hadn't had time to be infected by the attitudes of guys like Webb, Carimi, Rachal, etc.

But regardless of whether this was a carefully planned out revamping of the entire line, or just a happy coincidence, the fact remains that of the Offensive linemen who were with the Bears two years ago, only ONE remains ... Garza.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
It really does look like Emery is trying to get a culture change with the offense. I think the Oline especially, which was a walking punchline in the NFL, needed a hard reset just to get the stink of failure off from the last few seasons.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whether part of grand design or by happenstance, the entire offensive attitude does seem to have changed. When watching the Browns game with me last night, my wife (who's only into football because of me), remarked to me "Wow, the offense looks so smooth.." (referring specifically to the Jordan Palmer touchdown drive). I agreed with her characterization. It's only been a couple of pre-season games, but I feel like the Bears move the ball with confidence now; they expect to score or get the first down. Jordan Palmer was visibly upset when he took great care to send that 3rd down pass to Fendi Onobun low. It was a perfectly delivered ball that he should have caught. You could tell he was ticked when it stalled the drive.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Offensive line (8)

J'Marcus Webb, Chris Spencer, Roberto Garza, Lance Louis, Gabe Carimi

Chris Williams, Chilo Rachal, Edwin Williams

Comment: Chris Williams provides great flexibility because he can play every line position except center. Spencer and Louis entering final year of contracts.

*this is from the trib at the end of the preseason last year. 7 of the top 8 gone. Crazy turnover, not a coincidence. Let's hope the new group is better than the old group. I'm very optimistic.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I been saying they were soft for years... Finally my wish has come true...

IF Garza or any other player on the line is weak this year... Cut em and move on...

Draft another solid athlete with a great attitude like Kyle Long... and don't look back...

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Let's see what they do with Boggs......he could be groomed to replace Garza some day....

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Let's see what they do with Boggs......he could be groomed to replace Garza some day....

He hasn't had the greatest camp supposedly... maybe he makes it as a backup this year... But i think he is getting replaced next year in the 3rd round with a more talented player...

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I for one really think our Oline is gonna be top 15 this year. The while long and mills story about how they got here and how excited they are is awesome! First time I years since I have been excited for Oline.