HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dix had 3 interceptions all of last year...I would be surprised if he does much better than that. Assuming he even plays 16 games to begin with. We haven't even made it to the pre-season and he's gimped.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Outside of statistics and regression to the mean I see no reason the bears take a step back. Just no reason at all really. Ha ha should be an upgrade to Amos. Young players should continue to improve including Nichols, Roquan Smith, and Eddie Jackson. If they can hold up at CB this defense will most definitely be a top 5 defense. I see no reason the bears can’t match what they did last year and be the best defense in the NFL.
I think the Bears defense will improve.

Smith, Floyd and Nichols will improve.

Dix and Skrine/Shelly could be out of place and make some penalties, more so then Callahan/Amos. But Dix might be a lot better than Amos. Hard to improve on Callahan, but I think the Bears do better than a wash on losing him.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good Read:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r-bears-defense-under-chuck-pagano/ar-BBS9t8D

MORE BLITZING:
Don't expect Pagano to go overboard with aggressive blitzing, but he'll likely send more linebackers and safeties rushing the quarterback than Fangio did. Fangio wasn't as conservative of a play caller as he is often perceived, but his defenses consistently finished on the lower end of blitz attempts compared to the rest of the NFL.

In the defenses Pagano had control of, he hovered much close to the league average, blitzing on anywhere from 25 to 30 percent of his defense's passing plays, according to Pro Football Focus. The biggest blitzing difference should come in the secondary. Fangio liked to send slot cornerbacks Bryce Callahan and Sherrick McManis, but that was about it for defensive backs. Pagano has been more inclined to rush his safeties, but his cornerbacks rarely went after the quarterback

^ Somewhat concerned about the "More Man Coverage", and "More Dime Personnel". The rest seems okay.

Also:
https://chicagostylesports.com/chuck-pagano-is-a-madman-bears-defense-to-get-more-aggressive/

...they should thrive in a 3-4 with a MAJOR emphasis on the pass-rush. In 2018, the Bears were near the bottom in blitz percentage, yet were second in football with 50 sacks. If they click that up a notch, provided there isn’t a major setback in talent or injury or whatever else, this team should push even higher sack numbers in 2019 under Pagano.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
You are talking about something important to you?

Shelley looks like a steal so far. He moves well, explosive, can leap...his athleticism appears far beyond Callahan...

Skrine probably doesn't even hold him off more than half the season. And no...Shelley projects purely as a NB in the NFL, especially early in his career.

Not sure what your first sentence means in asking if i'm talking about something important to me.

Yes Shelley looks like he'll end up being another great late round pick by Pace which i think most of us liked the pick as soon as he was picked and we did research on him.

I clearly said that i thought Shelley was drafted to take over for Skrine even though he played CB in college.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Anybody have some stats on Pagano's blitz frequency vs. Fangio (lowest IIRC), vs the league ave?

------------------------------

I did find that Bears' D was 29th worst in penalty yards. Hope that gets cleaned up, bribe refs for fair game, etc.
Shame Floyd isn't allowed to body slam QBs...or to NOT touch their helmet (some terrible ghost 15 yarders in there)
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/totalPenaltyYards/position/defense

View attachment 2251

Well damn, i didn't realize we were that bad in defensive penalties last year. Hopefully we can clean that up but it wouldn't be a shock to me if we're up there in pass interference calls or any other calls on our secondary because they'll be asked to be better in coverage, but we could be right up there in turnovers as well with all the pressure we'll be putting on QB's.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anybody have some stats on Pagano's blitz frequency vs. Fangio (lowest IIRC), vs the league ave?

------------------------------

I did find that Bears' D was 29th worst in penalty yards. Hope that gets cleaned up, bribe refs for fair game, etc.
Shame Floyd isn't allowed to body slam QBs...or to NOT touch their helmet (some terrible ghost 15 yarders in there)
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/totalPenaltyYards/position/defense

View attachment 2251

in 2017 Pagano with Indy blitzed 21.1% of the time.....Chicago blitzed 23.4% of the time

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

Great counter point backed up by some analysis.

Chuck Pagano is no slouch, and he took that 2011 Ravens team to the legit #1 Defense. The thing I remember is that he had everyone moving around and standing up, and it totally messed up the QB's ability to read what the defense was showing or even what base defense they were in.

That 2011 team for the Ravens (Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis) is scarily similar to what we have, but we are younger (Mack, Hicks, Jackson, and Smith).

I'm flatout excited about what Pagano might do with this group.....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think the Bears defense will improve.

Smith, Floyd and Nichols will improve.

Dix and Skrine/Shelly could be out of place and make some penalties, more so then Callahan/Amos. But Dix might be a lot better than Amos. Hard to improve on Callahan, but I think the Bears do better than a wash on losing him.

I agree that all 3 of Smith, Nichols and Floyd (please Floyd stay healthy) will improve and think R.Smith will be an absolute beast this year. I can't say i'm not a little worried about our secondary though especially the guys that will be next man up if any of the starters get hurt. I do like K.Tolliver and really hoping this kid takes that next step because there's a good chance that Prince is one of the first to go when we have to create cap space after this year. I like some things D.Bush did and think D.Houston Carson could be pretty good but he's been hurt so much that we haven't been able to get a good look at him. Big fan of D.Shelley but i'm pretty sure the guaranteed money for Skrine is like 2 years of his deal. I think Pace definitely jumped the gun on that Skrine signing that he did so quickly after free agency opened. I like Skrine but don't love him and think Pace could of done better if he would of waited.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Great counter point backed up by some analysis.

Chuck Pagano is no slouch, and he took that 2011 Ravens team to the legit #1 Defense. The thing I remember is that he had everyone moving around and standing up, and it totally messed up the QB's ability to read what the defense was showing or even what base defense they were in.

That 2011 team for the Ravens (Suggs, Ngata, Reed, Lewis) is scarily similar to what we have, but we are younger (Mack, Hicks, Jackson, and Smith).

I'm flatout excited about what Pagano might do with this group.....

2011? Sounds like when the Bears hired Martz and people were talking about Greatest Show on Turf stuff. His defenses in Indy slouched.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
2011? Sounds like when the Bears hired Martz and people were talking about Greatest Show on Turf stuff. His defenses in Indy slouched.
They did but they also didn't have as anywhere near the amount of talent as this defense. He'll have to be more cautious with blitzing; Fuller & Prince aren't as good on islands. I'm more worried about the health of the defense moreso than anything else. Doubtful that the defense is just as healthy as last year.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They did but they also didn't have as anywhere near the amount of talent as this defense. He'll have to be more cautious with blitzing; Fuller & Prince aren't as good on islands. I'm more worried about the health of the defense moreso than anything else. Doubtful that the defense is just as healthy as last year.

Fangio's early tenure Bears defenses were much better than Pagano's Indy defenses, and I think they both had talent issues. I think Pagano is a clear downgrade from Fangio, so I am going to "wait and see" if the Bears current talent wins out.

Agree that the secondary is kind of iffy. Lots of PI yards given up last season. If Jackson isn't 100% and/or if Ha Ha has lingering hamstring issues, it could affect the defensive scheme.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Fair enough, Pagano as a HC/DC did not perform very well. BUT it could be argued that ANY time he was not a HC, he has IMPROVED the team that hired him.

When he was with the Brown, Raiders and Ravens he improved the team in his role (DB coach or DC).

I just have a feeling that without the HC duties, Pagano can be a good DC, maybe surprisingly good... there are a ton of examples of a great coordinator that just could not be a HC. I think Pagan might be one of those guys. AND the guy we are talking about here Vic Fangio, has yet to prove that he can be anything other than a DC.

It would not surprise me in the least that if Pagano does really well with us that he would get another shot at HC.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
AND the guy we are talking about here Vic Fangio, has yet to prove that he can be anything other than a DC.

Considering we are talking about being a DC, I'd say that is irrelevant. Pagano's NFL DC career is one season. I guess I am the only person who views this as "lack of a meaningful track record". Furthermore, that one season as a DC was back in 2011. In 2011, Mel Tucker's Jaguars defense was stonewalling people.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Considering we are talking about being a DC, I'd say that is irrelevant. Pagano's NFL DC career is one season. I guess I am the only person who views this as "lack of a meaningful track record". Furthermore, that one season as a DC was back in 2011. In 2011, Mel Tucker's Jaguars defense was stonewalling people.
Is Mel Tucker available?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Fangio's early tenure Bears defenses were much better than Pagano's Indy defenses, and I think they both had talent issues. I think Pagano is a clear downgrade from Fangio, so I am going to "wait and see" if the Bears current talent wins out.

Agree that the secondary is kind of iffy. Lots of PI yards given up last season. If Jackson isn't 100% and/or if Ha Ha has lingering hamstring issues, it could affect the defensive scheme.

So it appears that everyone is worried about secondary talent/health. Pretty comforting to know that Pagano is actually one of the best in the league at coaching up young secondary talent.

dll2000

Liked Posts:
Pagano has been coaching since 1984, probably before a lot of you were born, and is a well regarded defensive mind by anyone who knows anything.

He is best known for coaching DBs.

Yeah, he was only a DC in NFL for one year, but he did so well he got a HC job immediately. Indy had some good years under him, problems can come for any NFL team. System is designed that way and he was dealing with possible death.

I am sure you all would do great at your job if you started getting those symptoms and later got that diagnosis.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Pretty comforting to know that Pagano is actually one of the best in the league at coaching up young secondary talent.

I think the secondary needs a faith healer more than it needs to be coached up. "Eddie, I know you are an All-Pro, but just knock the ball down, don't go for the INT..."