onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Maybe they sign Bud Dupree? Or go all-in on Oline FAs. Or extend Hicks/Jackson. Or sign some ILBs.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
If they do that I hope they go out and grab the best DE they can.
OLB is probably a bigger need than DE, but if the Bears are going to keep Floyd they will need to upgrade their pass rushing from the other DE spot across from Hicks. There's not a lot of 3-4 DEs that can rush the passer available, but looking at the FA:

* JPP
* Wolfe
* Ogbah

Of the 3, Wolfe probably gets $10m+ a year, and Ogbah might not be better than Nick Williams. JPP is an interesting idea though, Bears could potentially get him for 2 yrs/$20m and significantly improve their pass rush while moving Leonard to "utility back" while removing a lot of his rush duties.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Maybe they sign Bud Dupree? Or go all-in on Oline FAs. Or extend Hicks/Jackson. Or sign some ILBs.

Id be so excited to see dupree here. Him and mack would squeeze pockets fast and make offenses very one dimensional.

I'd be all for that.

You have no guarantee you can win offensively. You are better off getting turnovers and crushung opposing QBs while running the ball.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

A Bud Dupree signing would be fucking awesome. I'd actually love for them to sign Dupree and bring Floyd back on a more affordable contract to be the 3rd OLB but i don't see that happening.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
OLB is probably a bigger need than DE, but if the Bears are going to keep Floyd they will need to upgrade their pass rushing from the other DE spot across from Hicks. There's not a lot of 3-4 DEs that can rush the passer available, but looking at the FA:

* JPP
* Wolfe
* Ogbah

Of the 3, Wolfe probably gets $10m+ a year, and Ogbah might not be better than Nick Williams. JPP is an interesting idea though, Bears could potentially get him for 2 yrs/$20m and significantly improve their pass rush while moving Leonard to "utility back" while removing a lot of his rush duties.

JPP would play OLB on our team and i'd love to get him to play there and i'm good with N.Williams, RRH and B.Nichols playing with and behind Hicks.

Last edited:

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Dupree won't come cheap. I'd consider that a splash signing. Would definitely change the dynamic of the front 7.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure Dupree makes alot of sense from a cap management perspective. That would be a rather large percentage of the teams cap space allocated to the edge position.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Wont be a five year deal like dupree will command. Cant have that much $ in olb.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I’d love to sign a guy like Ngakoue. He would be only 25 at the start of the deal so we would be getting his prime years.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
This was posted on reddit. He put lots of work into it, that's for sure. Says the actual savings is 4.5m for this next year's cap...

Kyle Fuller Contract for Dummies...

* Going into 2020 Kyle had Sal Cap hits of $17.5M (2020) and $18.5M (2021).

* If Kyle had one year of a bloated salary they would turn some of it into a signing bonus and extend Kyle.

* Because he has two years they are turning a portion of his salary to a 5 year bonus and will need to do a traditional extension next offseason.

* The article is reporting $6M in savings for 2020 but it should be reporting $4.5M in cap relief. The $7.5M is spread out $1.5M from 2019 to 2023. Because $1.5M is hit in 2019, we rollover $1.5M less. So although his Cap Hit is $6M less, our savings is only $4.5M.

* The cap hits of $1.5M in 2021 and 2022 are dead money and not a contract. His dead money if he were to be cut next offseason is now $9M (previous was $4.5M plus $1.5M for 2021, 2022, and 2023).

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm not sure Dupree makes alot of sense from a cap management perspective. That would be a rather large percentage of the teams cap space allocated to the edge position.

But the good thing about that is we might be able to get away with going with Toliver to replace Amukamara and D.Bush to replace HHCD since upgrading the pass rush will make things much easier on the secondary. If not both Toliver and Bush then one of them and then sign a cheap vet for the other. That would save us a lot of money if we don't have to pay Amukamara his $9 mil or bring in another legit CB and same with playing Bush at SS over raising HHCD's money to come back or signing another legit safety. I want E.Jackson back at FS anyway and we could do that by playing Bush at SS.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I’d love to sign a guy like Ngakoue. He would be only 25 at the start of the deal so we would be getting his prime years.

Yeah that would be nice but the Jags just came out and said he's their #1 signing priority this offseason.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Man, you guys really have no idea what these guys market value is.

Forget about Yannick/Dupree/Barrett and guys of that magnitude. The Bears are not forking out 15+ million a year when we have Khalil Mack making QB money.

Shift your expectations to guys like Jabaal Sheard and Bruce Irvin who will still command 5-7 million.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah, Barrett, Dupree, Ngakoue are going to make $16-20m per year for 5 years probably. There are a lot of tier two and older Edge players in FA this year, though. But if they keep Floyd the question is moot anyway. They aren't going to pay a third OLB more than a few mil.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
So it begins. In a desperate attempt to save his job, Pace is being allowed to backload contracts to sign players for 2020. Expect a few draft picks from 2021 and 2022 to also be traded for 2020.

What a shit organization. Our next GM is going to end up short draft picks and cap space next year because of this.