Bears get "F" grade for trading up for David Montgomery

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Sorry Bears fans, but Chicago earned an abysmal "F" grade from the benevolent dictator of Trade Down Island for trading up for RB David Montgomery. To move up just 14 spots in the 3rd they moved down 43 spots later in the draft but the most egregiously they lit a perfectly good 2020 4th round pick on fire! That's an inexcusable waste of draft capital. The draft is just educated guesswork and nobody knows how good - or bad - David Montgomery will be. Frankly, I'd much rather have the draft assets the Bears started with (No. 87, No. 162, 2020 4th) than the questionable trades they made on draft day to end up with No. 73 and No. 205. Not good.
Draft picking isn't primarily a crapshoot, it's primarily an assessment of talent/character, and how that player will fit on a team. Although there's nothing wrong with it, always waiting for your spot to pick limits your choices.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Draft picking isn't primarily a crapshoot, it's primarily an assessment of talent/character, and how that player will fit on a team. Although there's nothing wrong with it, always waiting for your spot to pick limits your choices.

Similarly, I think waiting until the fourth week of preseason to make your first CCS posting is the equivalent of trading down in the draft.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The username and thread reminds me of the 1980's music scene when MTV became big. Bands would name themselves after the single they were releasing...just to make it easier on the consumer to associate the video with the band.

Big Country will now perform Big Country off of their debut album, Big Country.

Could this video be any more 80s....its like a caricature of itself....

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Scotland is a small country. I don't know what they were thinking.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
So trading up to get the guy you want instead of just settling for the player you get at the spot you were designed to pick at is a better strategy than getting the player you want?

If the draft is a crapshoot then why not roll the dice with a pretty lady of your choosing?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Someone trying to promote their blog with questionable hot takes

I've got a hot take for him. Let me just get up on my squatty potty so I can deliver it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, we will. Over time I'm willing to bet the combination of what the Bears gave up will exceed the value of what the Bears traded up for:

-Bears Received: RB David Montgomery (No. 73), CB Duke Shell (No. 205)
-Bears Gave Up: RB Damien Harris (No. 87), LB Cameron Smith (No. 162), Player TBD (2020 4th)

I'll take the three assets the Bears gave up over the two they got back any day of the week. And that's not a knock on Montgomery, either. The draft is educated guesswork and none of us knows how good - or bad - he will be. I'd simply rather have the three assets they traded away.
The problem with your theory is Montgomery looks like a 3-down back and perfect compliment to Cohen, for this offense he is a better fit than Howard. And secondly, CB Duke Shelley slipped 2 rounds further than he should have, and all indications appear that his draft projection of a 4th rounder due to size/straight speed were also 2 rounds light, so the No.205 is performing like a no 60...and your little wager has begun way way way in the hole, with only a 4th rounder to make it up.

Cameron Smith would need 4 years to crack the active roster on this particular Bears team who have 9-11 linebackers who could start somewhere in the league in that timeframe. I don't think he would make the 53 this year unless gifted on potential.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace might be a trade down clown, but with his 4-5 draft picks he continually has selected the highest character guys in the draft 3 years running. Like with Trubisky, at the very least that strategy seems to be holding their floors up very high. His guys are not busting, they are fitting into a designed culture and getting better every week, every year, and not getting distracted.

Then you get a few surprises like Cohen/Nichols/Shelley

who for whatever reason have both the character and athleticism to perform like 2nd rounders straight out of the gate.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Draft grades are worthless. The player hasn’t even stepped on the field yet, how do you assign a grade?

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
Sorry Bears fans, but Chicago earned an abysmal "F" grade from the benevolent dictator of Trade Down Island for trading up for RB David Montgomery. To move up just 14 spots in the 3rd they moved down 43 spots later in the draft but the most egregiously they lit a perfectly good 2020 4th round pick on fire! That's an inexcusable waste of draft capital. The draft is just educated guesswork and nobody knows how good - or bad - David Montgomery will be. Frankly, I'd much rather have the draft assets the Bears started with (No. 87, No. 162, 2020 4th) than the questionable trades they made on draft day to end up with No. 73 and No. 205. Not good.

You have a wonderful website. May I be able to make a donation to ensure your ability to continue to deliver top notch insights?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Worked out o.k. for the Chiefs...I mean until Kareem Hunt decided to kick a girl...