Bears get "F" grade for trading up for David Montgomery

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
Sorry Bears fans, but Chicago earned an abysmal "F" grade from the benevolent dictator of Trade Down Island for trading up for RB David Montgomery. To move up just 14 spots in the 3rd they moved down 43 spots later in the draft but the most egregiously they lit a perfectly good 2020 4th round pick on fire! That's an inexcusable waste of draft capital. The draft is just educated guesswork and nobody knows how good - or bad - David Montgomery will be. Frankly, I'd much rather have the draft assets the Bears started with (No. 87, No. 162, 2020 4th) than the questionable trades they made on draft day to end up with No. 73 and No. 205. Not good.
Good lord

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Yes, we will. Over time I'm willing to bet the combination of what the Bears gave up will exceed the value of what the Bears traded up for:

-Bears Received: RB David Montgomery (No. 73), CB Duke Shell (No. 205)
-Bears Gave Up: RB Damien Harris (No. 87), LB Cameron Smith (No. 162), Player TBD (2020 4th)

I'll take the three assets the Bears gave up over the two they got back any day of the week. And that's not a knock on Montgomery, either. The draft is educated guesswork and none of us knows how good - or bad - he will be. I'd simply rather have the three assets they traded away.

The NFL/college football has gone big at WR and all the small WRs have been converted to running back. Look at Damien Williams for example...he's a wide receiver. Ask him to find a crease between the tackles and he won't.

True high quality RBs are actually very rare. I define a quality RB as someone with a lot of burst, and someone who can bounce outside and still weigh 220lbs. RBs possessing those traits are very undervalued, IMHO.

The NFL has also undervalued the quality of always getting positive yards. Adam Gase was profoundly criticized for using Frank Gore over Kenyan Drake. While Drake was the homerun hitter, he was prone to getting negative yards and setting the offense up for 3rd and long. I think Gase will ultimately prove to be right. Also, Montgomery will prove to be an undervalued pick and the trade will be viewed slightly in favor of the Bears.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
F this thread.