Bears get "F" grade for trading up for David Montgomery

Trade Down Island

Liked Posts:
Sorry Bears fans, but Chicago earned an abysmal "F" grade from the benevolent dictator of Trade Down Island for trading up for RB David Montgomery. To move up just 14 spots in the 3rd they moved down 43 spots later in the draft but the most egregiously they lit a perfectly good 2020 4th round pick on fire! That's an inexcusable waste of draft capital. The draft is just educated guesswork and nobody knows how good - or bad - David Montgomery will be. Frankly, I'd much rather have the draft assets the Bears started with (No. 87, No. 162, 2020 4th) than the questionable trades they made on draft day to end up with No. 73 and No. 205. Not good.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hot take

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The username and thread reminds me of the 1980's music scene when MTV became big. Bands would name themselves after the single they were releasing...just to make it easier on the consumer to associate the video with the band.

Big Country will now perform Big Country off of their debut album, Big Country.

Trade Down Island

Liked Posts:
We'll see how that works out :)
Yes, we will. Over time I'm willing to bet the combination of what the Bears gave up will exceed the value of what the Bears traded up for:

-Bears Received: RB David Montgomery (No. 73), CB Duke Shell (No. 205)
-Bears Gave Up: RB Damien Harris (No. 87), LB Cameron Smith (No. 162), Player TBD (2020 4th)

I'll take the three assets the Bears gave up over the two they got back any day of the week. And that's not a knock on Montgomery, either. The draft is educated guesswork and none of us knows how good - or bad - he will be. I'd simply rather have the three assets they traded away.

Last edited:

Trade Down Island

Liked Posts:
The username and thread reminds me of the 1980's music scene when MTV became big. Bands would name themselves after the single they were releasing...just to make it easier on the consumer to associate the video with the band.

Guilty...and unapologetic. :)

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Other notable predictions by Trade Down Island:

1. "Stock Market STRONG. Never a better time to invest!" --Oct 1929
2. "Chicago Cubs a LOCK to win World Series within two years." --Sept 1944
3. "VHS a sucker's bet, Betamax all the way!" Aug 1978
4. "We don't like their sound and guitar music is on the way out." --June 1962 <--this is a real thing from Decca Recording Comapny turning down The Beatles.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Well, dreams stay with you.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sorry Bears fans, but Chicago earned an abysmal "F" grade from the benevolent dictator of Trade Down Island for trading up for RB David Montgomery. To move up just 14 spots in the 3rd they moved down 43 spots later in the draft but the most egregiously they lit a perfectly good 2020 4th round pick on fire! That's an inexcusable waste of draft capital. The draft is just educated guesswork and nobody knows how good - or bad - David Montgomery will be. Frankly, I'd much rather have the draft assets the Bears started with (No. 87, No. 162, 2020 4th) than the questionable trades they made on draft day to end up with No. 73 and No. 205. Not good.

Absolutely nobody cares about your shitty blog.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
4. "We don't like their sound and guitar music is on the way out." --June 1962 <--this is a real thing from Decca Recording Comapny turning down The Beatles.

Remember when the Chargers turned down Drew Brees, tho?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes, we will. Over time I'm willing to bet the combination of what the Bears gave up will exceed the value of what the Bears traded up for:

-Bears Gave Up: RB Damien Harris (No. 87), LB Cameron Smith (No. 162), Player TDB (2020 4th)

I'll take the three assets the Bears gave up over the two they got back any day of the week. And that's not a knock on Montgomery, either. The draft is educated guesswork and none of us knows how good - or bad - he will be. I'd simply rather have the three assets they traded away.
We'll agree to disagree. I think Montgomery will be the best RB in this class, and Shelly looks like he can play. I appreciate Pace being aggressive when he sees his guy. I realize the draft is a crapshoot, and partially a numbers game...but I'd rather hit on a few key players every time than having more picks resulting in mediocre players. Pace has mostly earned my trust in this area even though he's had a few misses, but no GM is perfect.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

-Bears Gave Up: RB Damien Harris (No. 87), LB Cameron Smith (No. 162), Player TDB (2020 4th)

This makes no sense

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Well David Montgomery obviously sucks as he only has 16 yards in the entire preseason, so this professionally designed and obviously heavily-visited site is obviously on top of things.
Don't worry. I clicked on all 45 advertisements and bought whatever they were selling thus ensuring OP Island in revenues to upgrade his blog and live his best life.

You are welcome OP.