Bears have NFL's toughest schedule per CBS Sports

Visionman

Liked Posts:
When you win then you have to play the tougher teams the next year....I hope we have another hard schedule again next year ?
When you win, you play exactly TWO different games than the other teams in your division. This is always made out to be a way bigger deal than it should be...

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
It is an extremely hard schedule. Yes things can change, but the Rams, Cowboys, Saints. Eagles, Chiefs, Chargers, Packers x2, Vikings x2 will not all turn to shit, if any of them.
What I like is, I don't see the Bears losing to any of those teams...

The way the end-of-the-year Bears spanked the Rams, Packers and Vikings... but then again, who can explain the Eagles loss?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When you win, you play exactly TWO different games than the other teams in your division. This is always made out to be a way bigger deal than it should be...

Playing the Saints and Rams instead of the Bucs and Arizona could easily turn a 10-11 win season into an 8-9 win season. It's huge.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Playing the Saints and Rams instead of the Bucs and Arizona could easily turn a 10-11 win season into an 8-9 win season. It's huge.
That's true. But there's something to be said of the curse of when a good team has an easy schedule... they tend to coast on pride and don't improve as much -- and then get punched in the face in the playoffs.

Bears were actually coasting some games last year. I think it's a good thing the Bears will feel challenged throughout the year. Should pay dividends, cause they are easily one of the best teams.

Last edited:

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What brings you into the Bears board?

Bears also have Mitch Trubisky which limits them. Also Chiefs have a QB who can overcome all of that. Too bad the Bears didn’t have a chance to draft a guy like that.
There was a time I ran this place so....

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Weren’t the bears supposed to have a tough schedule last season too?
You mean an easy schedule. 8th easiest in the league and I think they finished with the 2nd at the end of the season.

It was predicted to be one of the easiest before, but ended up being the 8th toughest once calculated after 2018 season ended! Still went 12-4 & lost 4 of 5 by a FG or less, "so they've got that going for them, which is nice".

Every year this shit comes out. Strength of Schedule means nothing because it's based on last year. The NFL changes too much year to year (excluding the Patriots, that is).
^this. See link...

Looking back at 2018, the SOS ended up being the exact same as the projected 2019 SOS is now!
Both schedules = .520

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2...n-2019-sos-is-a-trash-stat-matt-nagy-trubisky

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wouldn't surprise me if after 2019 season it's still one of the toughest. Note that it's only 2 opponents different from the rest of the NFC N, so as long as GB or MIN don't sweep their "easier" opponents while CHI drops one or both "harder" games, it should average out okay, Bears being the better team.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
And the Bears will still be favored in nearly every game.

I think that's something people are forgetting. Yes, the schedule is tough. But this Bears team is good---so good, that when you go line-by-line, game-by-game, understand that the Bears should still be better than most of the tough teams they're facing.

The first five games are Packers, Broncos, Redskins, Vikings and Raiders going into the bye. The Bears will literally be favored in every single one of those games.

Hey look, anything can happen. Parity exists. "Any given Sunday" exists. But going into the bye, this team should be at least 4-1, probably 5-0. I think people are making too much of the schedule. Yes, they're playing good teams. But the Bears are also a good team and will be expected to win.

Hell, they'll probably be favored at home against the Saints, Chargers and Cowboys, which account for 3/5 of their toughest games on paper.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Fortunately for us, All the teams in our division play the same tough schedule. New Orleans and the Rams weren't all that to end the season and I can see the Falcons and Panthers being good, negating our rivals lower tier games. We only had one loss last year that I felt we deserved, and even that game came down to two return touchdowns.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Our SOS is more difficult this year but won't look that way later, after beating teams drops their own rankings. 1/2 way through a season fans will (hopefully) say our SOS was easier but it reflects that you beat those teams and dropped the SOS. SOS ranking goes down while difficult of your schedule may not actually have changed. Team's level of play also can change a lot from year to year. Those 2 reasons are why SOS doesn't mean much.

That said, it's easy to see that it's a tougher schedule this year. Our division had a down year in 2018 with Minny acclimating to their new QB and GB in turmoil. Both have good playoff possibilities. Who knows about the Lions but they are capable of a spoiler role.

That old mantra still holds true. Beat the teams in your division, make the playoffs.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It's the only reply we need in this thread, because this is fact

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And the Bears will still be favored in nearly every game.

I think that's something people are forgetting. Yes, the schedule is tough. But this Bears team is good---so good, that when you go line-by-line, game-by-game, understand that the Bears should still be better than most of the tough teams they're facing.

The first five games are Packers, Broncos, Redskins, Vikings and Raiders going into the bye. The Bears will literally be favored in every single one of those games.

Hey look, anything can happen. Parity exists. "Any given Sunday" exists. But going into the bye, this team should be at least 4-1, probably 5-0. I think people are making too much of the schedule. Yes, they're playing good teams. But the Bears are also a good team and will be expected to win.

Hell, they'll probably be favored at home against the Saints, Chargers and Cowboys, which account for 3/5 of their toughest games on paper.

Speaking for myself, I am not saying the schedule is tough, we are screwed. I am saying the schedule is tough. And it is.

It's the equivalency to saying the restaurant is expensive, but we can afford it.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Just like the strength of schedule is made out to be a much bigger deal than it is.

Reality is if you want to win a Superbowl then you need to be able to beat the "tough" teams .

Currently we have a strong division, so every year we could essentially be looking at a tough schedule....

You can only play who is on your schedule....

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...o-face-the-two-toughest-schedules-in-the-nfl/

"The Chicago Bears are celebrating their 100th anniversary as a team this season, but it might not end up being much of a celebration, and that's because the Bears have the most difficult schedule in the NFL this year, at least according to our NFL schedule ratings".
For one, you're really only talking about 2 slightly tougher games than your other divisional rivals. For another, those 2 teams who played well last season might suck the next.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For one, you're really only talking about 2 slightly tougher games than your other divisional rivals. For another, those 2 teams who played well last season might suck the next.

That can happen in certain situations, but it's far less likely when the division winners you have to face are teams that are clearly still the most talented teams in their division.

In a season where playoffs are likely to be decided by a game, having the Saints and Rams instead of the Bucs and Cards/Niners could easily be the difference between getting in or not.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As long as da Bears play in BEAR WEATHER, dey will win all da gaemz.

BEARS

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That can happen in certain situations, but it's far less likely when the division winners you have to face are teams that are clearly still the most talented teams in their division.

In a season where playoffs are likely to be decided by a game, having the Saints and Rams instead of the Bucs and Cards/Niners could easily be the difference between getting in or not.
All first place teams face the same and always have. Just seems like those who don't make it back to the playoffs the following year tend to suffer more of a complete collapse.
As long as da Bears play in BEAR WEATHER, dey will win all da gaemz.

BEARS
Meh, just don't let the sun shine down on their sideline.