Bears Oline ranked #5 (PFF) - Have not given up a sack

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-after-week-2

5. Chicago Bears

Starting Lineup:

Left Tackle: Charles Leno Jr., 78.3
Left Guard: Eric Kush, 55.3
Center: Cody Whitehair, 75.5
Right Guard: Kyle Long, 74.9
Right Tackle: Bobby Massie, 69.3

Chicago has quietly been lights out in protecting young quarterback Mitch Trubisky through two weeks. The Bears are the only team in the NFL who hasn’t allowed a single sack or hit all season, feeding into the team’s second-ranked pass-block grade. One of the biggest reasons for that has been the reemergence of right guard Kyle Long. He’s played all of 878 snaps the past two seasons due to injury, but the six-year veteran has yielded only two hurries through two games so far.

This was interesting to note, but I was mostly curious about the line regarding no sacks or hits allowed so far. I'm not completely familiar with all of PFF's methods over there, but would it be correct to assume that what they mean is our six sacks given up have all come from somewhere other than our Offensive Line? TE's, RB's, Blitzes, Scrambles out of the pocket, etc? Can anyone confirm that? Have none of our six sacks really been because of our OLine?

Incidentally, the Cardinals are #32 on the list. I like that.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Hmmmm.... I used to blame the OL good to see it's doing well despite the Mack trade

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Interesting. I seem to recall Mitch eating a lot of sacks last year.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Imagine a world in which Sitton was still your left guard. Crazy. I know.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah that is what it means. The 4 from last week they attributed to Trubs not the OL and this week they had the sacks as scheme sacks.

I don't remember them all but one this week was Clark jumping the snap count and Massie had no chance. The other I think Seahawks had more rushers than blockers.

Last week the one that jumps out was when Trubs ran into his own blocker.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-after-week-2

This was interesting to note, but I was mostly curious about the line regarding no sacks or hits allowed so far. I'm not completely familiar with all of PFF's methods over there, but would it be correct to assume that what they mean is our six sacks given up have all come from somewhere other than our Offensive Line? TE's, RB's, Blitzes, Scrambles out of the pocket, etc? Can anyone confirm that? Have none of our six sacks really been because of our OLine?

PFF is to football analysis as The Onion is to hard news.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What constitutes a “hit”, because Trubisky has taken a few...

loqKGF.gif

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

loqKGF.gif

Thanks! Was going to say I've seen a few hits + hurries, that pass to Howard, that Howard juggled was a definate hit/hurry as well.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Trubisky is better than Jay at running for his life. I’m not overly impressed with this O-Line so far this year.

As far as PFF, they don’t mean that Mitch hasn’t been sacked or hit, just that the O-Line hasn’t given up any sacks or hits. Makes sense, considering Trubisky almost never stands in the pocket. Remember, PFF looks at each play individually and decides who did what they were supposed to, who didn’t, and how.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

loqKGF.gif

I don't know how PFF rates things but if I had to make an educated guess, it would be that they probably keep a quarterback snap clock going and if any hits occur past so many seconds then they blame it on the QB not the offensive line. After all o-linemen can't block forever.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
... well seeing as Sitton is currently out with a shoulder, it seems we would be starting Kush at LG ...

Fair point but I never subscribe to the idea that injuries to a player on one team would always occur on another.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know how PFF rates things but if I had to make an educated guess, it would be that they probably keep a quarterback snap clock going and if any hits occur past so many seconds then they blame it on the QB not the offensive line. After all o-linemen can't block forever.

In GB they sure can.... dat hug technique bruh

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
PFF is horrible, OP is horrible, thread is horrible and inaccurate.