Bears Part Ways with Sitton

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Oh wow

I owe a lot of people apologies for this one. Given Long's surgeries, I'd have been in keeping Sitton as insurance at the very least

I'm with you on this I thought it would be a huge mistake to get rid of him. I think Windy was the first to call this back a few months ago.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This really wasnt a surprise. they tried to generate interest to trade him last year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I’ll say this about Pace, he was very willing to overpay for insurance on the QB position last offseason, but puts himself in a position of no depth and no insurance at the OG position, you know, the position that protects the QB... I hope he has something good planned in the next few months.

Err we have jordan morgan who they are high on and kush. Plus, I assume whitehair is going to be our starting guard unless we can sign someone like norwell or pugh. Its much easier to draft/sign a starting center.

I dont think keeping sitton around as an 8m insurance policy is a good idea. We could literally throw 2 extra million and get norwell for basically the same price, and keep him for 4-5 years since hes still young. This is a good move for the future I guess.

Luke

Liked Posts:
If you think about, it makes perfect sense. This is only year 4 of he 10 year rebuild so there is no room for a 32 year guard who makes 8mil.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Zach Fulton's market value is set at 4 years 28 million and if he's not a lock or Bears really like Kush Bears are idiots.

Image%20uploaded%20from%20iOS%20(10).jpg

I hope they aim higher then that. That's a lot of money for an at best average player, and a pretty significant downgrade from last year. Sitton was the Bears best lineman by a pretty wide margin, and 32 is not old for an interior lineman. You're spending almost the sa!e amount of money for a downgrade, and committing to him long-term despite the fact that he's not that good.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not surprised. I all but assumed that he would be gone without agreeing to a paycut. Adding a C and moving Whitehair would be a good move. Then sign a better RT

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not surprised. I all but assumed that he would be gone without agreeing to a paycut. Adding a C and moving Whitehair would be a good move. Then sign a better RT

I really want the bears to grab tyrell crosby in the draft. Potential to be a beastly RT. I know the board is prob gonna be full of nelson love at #8 atm because of the sitton cut, but like you said, they prob are just moving whitehair to guard and getting a natural center in free agency or the draft.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
imo whitehair is sitton's replacement and bears will sign a fa center. smith, jensen and richburg would be a solid replacement at center.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I really want the bears to grab tyrell crosby in the draft. Potential to be a beastly RT. I know the board is prob gonna be full of nelson love at #8 atm because of the sitton cut, but like you said, they prob are just moving whitehair to guard and getting a natural center in free agency or the draft.

To be fair Nelson is a once in a generation prospect, and Crosby looks like a good road grader but he's probably a mid 2nd rounder at best. There's really no reason to not want both. Everyone is fixated on receivers but a quarterbacks best friend is a great o-line.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Err we have jordan morgan who they are high on and kush. Plus, I assume whitehair is going to be our starting guard unless we can sign someone like norwell or pugh. Its much easier to draft/sign a starting center.

I dont think keeping sitton around as an 8m insurance policy is a good idea. We could literally throw 2 extra million and get norwell for basically the same price, and keep him for 4-5 years since hes still young. This is a good move for the future I guess.

It’s all about building a roster but you can’t address all the positional holes in one offseason. Sitton was under contract for 2018 only. Norwell, assuming CHI could actually sign him (other teams will want to sign him too, ya know) is going to cost $10M for the next 5 years or so.

msadows

Liked Posts:
To be fair Nelson is a once in a generation prospect, and Crosby looks like a good road grader but he's probably a mid 2nd rounder at best. There's really no reason to not want both. Everyone is fixated on receivers but a quarterbacks best friend is a great o-line.

Well aware of how good nelson is, but hes also a guard who would have to be taken with a top 10 pick. Can he be all pro? Most definately, but Theres already one available to you in free agency if you throw what sitton was making plus an extra couple mill on him. There have been pro bowl guards available in free agency each of the last four years.

I'll be happy with any one we draft in the first round, Either way we will get the best Guard, ILB, WR, CB, etc., But I don't like the positional value of taking a guard with a top 10 pick. People said the same things they are saying now about nelson towards chance warmack and Johnathan cooper. Nothing is a sure thing in the draft.

Washington

Liked Posts:

You mean like Grasu in the 3rd? Who is the FA center we should sign to be our starter?

I don't understand this move at all. The team is loaded with cash and I seriously doubt Long is ready for the beginning of the season. Add yet another hole to fill.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm with you on this I thought it would be a huge mistake to get rid of him. I think Windy was the first to call this back a few months ago.

He's had Sitton staying in his mocks lately so that went away pretty quickly.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Check out my mock draft. James Daniels C Iowa future all pro

Ryan Pace really like his guards to be athletic and Daniels fits the bill to the dot. I think we should keep Whitehair at center and move Daniels to guard.

BearDownTexas

Liked Posts:
Any chance they have already "unofficially" gotten his replacement? Seems to be the only logical reason to release him now... i dont get it.