Bears restructure Leno’s contract

napo55

Liked Posts:
They can keep kicking the can down the road with more contract restructuring and there are players due to be replaced next season. Looking at you Kyle Long. Salary cap will also be going up and will go up even further with the next CBA and TV deal negotiations. I'm not worried about it yet.
Curious who you expect will replace Kyle Long. Are you thinking a rookie can do the job, or somebody on the team now.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Curious who you expect will replace Kyle Long. Are you thinking a rookie can do the job, or somebody on the team now.

I expect us to draft an offensive lineman to replace Kyle with. There is no point in replacing bad to mediocre with a free agent that won't come cheap and isn't going to be young either. The name of the game is replacing aging and bad players with drafted players. Its the only way we are going to keep this thing going with the big contracts we are absorbing right now and still have to hand out.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I expect us to draft an offensive lineman to replace Kyle with. There is no point in replacing bad to mediocre with a free agent that won't come cheap and isn't going to be young either. The name of the game is replacing aging and bad players with drafted players. Its the only way we are going to keep this thing going with the big contracts we are absorbing right now and still have to hand out.
Pretty risky to rely on a rookie to be a starter right away . A certain percent are busts and even good ones may take a year or two to acclimate to the pros.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
These extensions help the player and the team - IF the team needs the money now > later. Makes sense for both.

Player - gets money loaded further into the later years, which makes it more costly for the team to cut them early. Ensures future employment that much more.
Team - gets more cap now + shows the player they trust them longer term after the initial contract is signed. Gives the player incentive to kick ass once they get that contract going vs. promising big money long term. They'd rather start off front loaded in psuedo "prove it" deal so they can cut bait sooner with less prolonged cap hit if cut.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did they already have enough cap to sign Cody?

If so, a FA deal could be brewing!?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Pretty risky to rely on a rookie to be a starter right away . A certain percent are busts and even good ones may take a year or two to acclimate to the pros.
Does not compute: both Whitehair and Daniels were starters as rookies. Seems to me that Pace is pretty good at drafting interior linemen.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Since Clowney had to be brought up...here's a good article about the Texans' options.

Synopsis:
  • They can't trade his rights, that is not allowed; so he'd have to sign the tag and play on it wherever he landed ($15,967,200).
  • He could not be extended by his new team while playing on the tag -- thus locking in the 15+ cap hit and, potentially, making whatever investment in terms of players/picks the other party sends to the Texans guarantee only a single season of his services in return.
    • These things makes his trade value respectively low right now.
  • The Texans are better off waiting him out.
    • They'd recoup almost a mil of cap space per game.
    • Next year they could re-tag him and trade him for higher value (as the above negatives of not being able to extend and such wouldn't apply).
    • If he plays...tag again and trade as above.
Essentially, the Texans would be dumb as fuck to trade him right now, and so is whomever suggested that it has any possibility of happening. So, how dumb are the Texans?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Clowney has had enough surgeries to make Floyd look durable.

It is a Whitehair extension. It will get done in the next couple of days.

Long is done after 2019 need to have the other 2 spots locked down so you can play someone young and cheap at RG.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I am the Bears I also talk to RRH about an extension.

They have him for 2 years (ERFA, RFA) for about 4.5 million.

I would offer him 2 more years at 10 million/7 guaranteed and see if he can say no.

4 years 14.5 million/7 guaranteed or play 2019 for 600k.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Does not compute: both Whitehair and Daniels were starters as rookies. Seems to me that Pace is pretty good at drafting interior linemen.
I hope Pace is smart enough to know that it doesn't always turn out that way.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Bears have over 20m in cap space this year but are negative 15m in 2020. Better get extensions done asap.

It doesn't really matter because of roll over. Extend them this year, lose roll over cap next year. Also they don't know what the cap will be next year, Spotrac and OTC base their future numbers on this year's cap number.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
My guess is they're making room for J'Marcus Webb. My evidence? Chicago-land Taco Bells have announced an increase in revenue for Q 4 of 2019. Plus, when a reporter asked him about a potential move back to Chicago, his reply was "Your face is a potential move back to Chicago."

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think that this money is to have some flexibility should a vet get cut that can help the team...

I don't know an specific example, but it happens every year that during cut downs a rookie replaces a vet on some other team that has value to another team.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think that this money is to have some flexibility should a vet get cut that can help the team...

I don't know an specific example, but it happens every year that during cut downs a rookie replaces a vet on some other team that has value to another team.

Someone said we have like $20 mil now though, so although i hope you're right and some of it is to sign so a player that's cut, hopefully a OLB or just sign one of two free agents that have been sitting out there in N.Perry or C.Barwin, I also think it's about re-signing one of E.Jackson or C.Whitehair. Most likely Whitehair since he's next man up but would love to see Eddie get signed ASAP.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Eddie is not getting re-signed until next year at least. He's gonna command a HUGE contract. Also, Jackson is not eligible for a new contract until after his 3rd year.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Eddie is not getting re-signed until next year at least. He's gonna command a HUGE contract. Also, Jackson is not eligible for a new contract until after his 3rd year.
Next to QB, we have been searching for that True FS type since Mike Brown, I hope they lock up Eddie the second he is eligible for a contract extension.....

napo55

Liked Posts:
It doesn't really matter because of roll over. Extend them this year, lose roll over cap next year. Also they don't know what the cap will be next year, Spotrac and OTC base their future numbers on this year's cap number.
Good points. It does seem fair to say that the team will be very limited in signing free agents and will have to scramble to extend their own players looking for extensions. Cap space hell?