Bears should draft Mariota?

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
anyone have access to the article on ESPN Insider?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
If hes at available at 7 then i say yes. They absolutely must take the chance. No other player available at 7 could potentially have a bigger impact if he works out. I say you have to go with him. Let him sit and learn next season behind Jay and let him take over going into the 2017 season.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
If hes at available at 7 then i say yes. They absolutely must take the chance. No other player available at 7 could potentially have a bigger impact if he works out. I say you have to go with him. Let him sit and learn next season behind Jay and let him take over going into the 2017 season.

At 7 having the opportunity to draft a bust, there is no question. Draft him.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree with bearsfan51

Nick80

It's going to be a running back, everyone and their dog knows this. I'll pass on Marcus ... eh?! Get it?

Ok. Bye.

:sweep:

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 1: The front office has a few options with Jay Cutler -- but they might be stuck with him
Louis Riddick (director of player personnel): A lot of fans are going to be calling for us to move on from Cutler, but I don't think it's something we'll end up doing. One, because of the money we're already committed to paying him, and two, because you have to ask yourself: What's the next-best alternative?

It's definitely a less-than-enviable position to be in. He's a QB who will always entice you based on his physical ability, but he will just never be what you want him to be. As a front-office executive, does it make your stomach churn to think about paying him that much money? Sure it does. But his deal is the reason there's a new GM in Chicago, and the new regime is stuck with him.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Mel Kiper (college scouting): Cutler still makes some of those throws that you just can't believe he can make, with that arm strength of his. But he just doesn't have the intangibles to be a consistent winning NFL quarterback. He's not setting the right tone in the locker room, he has bad body language on the field. He's a coach killer due to his inconsistency, but it's so hard to cut the cord with someone of his ability.

Now, would you take Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota if either fell to No. 7? Probably, but it's very unlikely either will get that far. Winston definitely won't, I don't think, and Mariota is unlikely to drop, either.

Mark Dominik (general manager): If Mariota is there at No. 7, I'm taking him. I have him as the best prospect in this draft. You talk about the risk with him transitioning from that offense at Oregon to the NFL -- and there's definitely a big adjustment there -- but it's going to be easier to figure him out over the course of the next several weeks than it will be to figure out Winston and whether you can trust him off the field. And Mariota has some really great tools to work with: size, mobility, arm strength and good intangibles.

But as Mel said, chances are you're not getting Mariota with the seventh pick. And as a front office, we have to find somebody who is a viable starting alternative to Cutler in case our new coaching staff reaches the same conclusion that the old one did, which is that they have to bench him. We need to get legitimate competition at the QB position, and unless it's with a first-round pick, it's not going to be a rookie. So we should look at a veteran, midlevel starter. A Ryan Fitzpatrick type, or maybe Brian Hoyer.

Part 2: If Jay Cutler is Chicago's starter, the coaching staff will have to make some important adjustments
Herm Edwards (head coach): John Fox knows going into this job that he's almost certainly stuck with Cutler, when you take all of the factors we just discussed into account. Knowing Fox as I do, I think he's going in with the intention of not allowing Cutler to be the volume passer that he's been to this point in his career. It reminds me a lot of Tony Romo last season. It's not a direct comparison, but Romo had a much better season after Dallas put the emphasis on the running game and the offensive line, and didn't make him have to do as much.

Fox is going to put Cutler in the same spot. He's an old-school coach in that he likes running the football. We saw that in Denver this season, when he tried to take some of the pressure off of Peyton Manning. Matt Forte had 266 carries last season. That's going to get up past 300 in 2015. And they'll still throw him the ball, but there's no way Forte will have 102 catches again.

Dominik: We're about to see just how good of an offensive coordinator Adam Gase is. He looked like a genius with Peyton Manning playing quarterback for him, but how will he do with Cutler? As a front office, you're believing in him and hoping he'll be able to get the job done, and also getting Cutler some competition in the event things don't work out.

Riddick: I hate this expression, but Fox will definitely try to turn Cutler into a game manager and not let him lose games for them. I happen to think the biggest problem Cutler presents is how he handles himself Monday through Saturday from a leadership perspective, and less about what he does on Sundays, but that's another point. The problem with limiting what you're asking Cutler to do is that the only way you can win with that philosophy is if you're good everywhere else. And there are holes galore on this roster.

Part 3: The most important moves made this offseason could be to improve the defense, including making a run at a Lions defensive tackle
Dominik: Part of the solution on defense is going to have to be in player development, like with the two defensive tackles taken in 2014, Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton. But I think defensive line should still be the pick at No. 7 overall, unless Mariota falls there. The strength of this draft is in the defensive line. We need to build this thing from the front to back.

Mel, who do you like for us there at No. 7?

Kiper: I agree that defensive line is a good place to start. You've got needs in the secondary too, but Kyle Fuller, last year's first-round pick, played better as the season went on and could be a good one. You would do well to land either Shane Ray of Missouri or Randy Gregory of Nebraska, two pass-rushers who do a really good job of getting after the quarterback. If those two guys are gone, other names to know are nose tackle Danny Shelton of Washington, Arik Armstead of Oregon -- who could play either end or tackle -- and Dante Fowler Jr. of Florida, who is another pass-rusher.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Riddick: Adding youth at that position is very important. Lamarr Houston is coming off a torn ACL, Jared Allen is hitting the wall if he hasn't already, Willie Young is coming off an Achilles injury. Not only are you dealing with age and performance issues, you also are dealing with health and availability issues, which is not a good position to be in.

Edwards: This defense just isn't very good, and you can't fix all their personnel issues in one year, no matter how good of a front office you have. So as a coach you need to protect the defense by playing a more ball-control offense, the same way you're protecting the quarterback from himself. We need to limit plays. That's how Dallas pulled ahead of Philadelphia in the NFC East down the stretch, by controlling the ball more and keeping its defense off the field, while the Eagles were on the field way too often. You saw it in the Super Bowl, too. The Seahawks' defense was on the field way too long and just got gassed, and Tom Brady was able to pick them apart.

Now, a lot of people are going to call for the Bears to go after Ndamukong Suh, but he's going to cost too much money. I'd actually rather have his teammate Nick Fairley, and put him on an incentive-based deal.

Riddick: I agree with staying away from Suh. Don't get me wrong; he's a great player. But free-agent deals are about more than identifying great players on the field. Is he the right fit for your locker room? Does bringing him in disrupt the continuity you're trying to develop? I've been involved in a wholesale roster change situation twice. Once it worked out relatively well, in 2004 with the Redskins, but that's the exception, not the rule. I almost always prefer the pipeline route, taking care of our own guys first.

Dominik: The guy on our own roster I want to prioritize is Stephen Paea, who is a free agent. If we can get him at a reasonable number, he's someone who can help us on the defensive line.

Bottom line: There might not be a lot of quick fixes available to the Bears
Riddick: The problem with what I mentioned above is that building a roster from within requires patience, and that's something that head coaches and general managers don't get much of these days. It sounds nice in theory, but owners don't want to hear it if you're not winning. And given the stage Fox is at in his career, he's going to be in win-now mode. That sounds great until he gets a true sense for what this roster is like.

Kiper: It really all comes back to Cutler. It's a shame, because he's had opportunities to show he can be a great leader. When J.J. Watt got all his money, he went out and played harder than anybody else. Cutler got paid -- and then went out and helped get his head coach and general manager fired. He has all this talent, but he's not maximizing it.

They are in a really tough spot in that division, with Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford, and now Teddy Bridgewater is coming on for Minnesota. It's going to be hard to pick them any better than third or fourth in that division for the foreseeable future.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 1: The front office has a few options with Jay Cutler -- but they might be stuck with him
Louis Riddick (director of player personnel): A lot of fans are going to be calling for us to move on from Cutler, but I don't think it's something we'll end up doing. One, because of the money we're already committed to paying him, and two, because you have to ask yourself: What's the next-best alternative?

It's definitely a less-than-enviable position to be in. He's a QB who will always entice you based on his physical ability, but he will just never be what you want him to be. As a front-office executive, does it make your stomach churn to think about paying him that much money? Sure it does. But his deal is the reason there's a new GM in Chicago, and the new regime is stuck with him.

This. Mariota is not a sure thing. Name a successful NFL QB that has come out of that type of offense? That is what the talking heads were saying (Gannon?) yesterday (or day before) NFL radio. It isn't a big risk because of his ability but if you draft him you may be better off sitting him for a year. I don't think that is necessarily a problem. However, with the shape that the defense is in I think you have to draft defense first and often unless you have the second coming of Andrew Luck in the draft. I don't like the idea of taking a QB in the first who might need to sit a year. And he certainly isn't a "sure thing" but we know that very few QBs are a sure thing. I know it makes sense to some but I don't know that Mariota is a good fit at this point in time.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I like Marcus Mariota and I think he'll be good, but I'd rather have the Bears draft another position to fill holes. I'd rather them draft a starter in the first round than someone who will ride the bench. Maybe if the Bears traded up and had two first round picks, maybe.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It is just stupid to think about drafting someone who is not only not going to be a starter but also is a reach. The only reason Mariota is being talked about is because this years crop is so poor. In a lot of other years he would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he falls to Houston at 16 where Eagles may try to trade up 5 spots to get him.

StrongerThanAll

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is just stupid to think about drafting someone who is not only not going to be a starter but also is a reach. The only reason Mariota is being talked about is because this years crop is so poor. In a lot of other years he would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if he falls to Houston at 16 where Eagles may try to trade up 5 spots to get him.

The whole draft is a crapshoot. To call someone who has 105 tds and 14 INT in the past 3 year a reach over ANYONE else in the draft blows my mind. I don't understand this world anymore

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would actually be happier if this kid fell to us and we took him over Winston. but I think this kid needs at least 2 years to be developed and that makes him not worth a number 7 pick imho.

guy has all the talent in the world though could really turn into something if coached up and groomed in the right system

we need to land the best defensive player avail or a ot

on a side note I think we are all gonna see qb's needing to be groomed more and more because the way college football is being played nowadays

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what I have read about him and his skill set, he isn't the right "type" of QB for what the Bear staff has in the past run on offense.

If one of the two better QB's falls, I hope it is Winston, but honestly, I don't see him getting past Tampa.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The whole draft is a crapshoot. To call someone who has 105 tds and 14 INT in the past 3 year a reach over ANYONE else in the draft blows my mind. I don't understand this world anymore

So if Dereck Carr would of been drafted last year in the top 5 you wouldn't say that was a reach? Carr had 113 tds and 23 ints in 3 years.

Mitchapalooza

So if Dereck Carr would of been drafted last year in the top 5 you wouldn't say that was a reach? Carr had 113 tds and 23 ints in 3 years.

I like Carr. I feel like the Raiders finally have a good QB to build with.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would actually be happier if this kid fell to us and we took him over Winston. but I think this kid needs at least 2 years to be developed and that makes him not worth a number 7 pick imho.

guy has all the talent in the world though could really turn into something if coached up and groomed in the right system

we need to land the best defensive player avail or a ot

on a side note I think we are all gonna see qb's needing to be groomed more and more because the way college football is being played nowadays

I hear ya, it's sad that college is so gimmicky and based off a system. I understand that college coaches are paid to win and will create system's to get it done but I wish they were more understanding of developing the players who have a chance to make it in the NFL. Take Dupree for instance, all the reports about him are that he has tremendous talent but UK didn't use him correctly.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hear ya, it's sad that college is so gimmicky and based off a system. I understand that college coaches are paid to win and will create system's to get it done but I wish they were more understanding of developing the players who have a chance to make it in the NFL. Take Dupree for instance, all the reports about him are that he has tremendous talent but UK didn't use him correctly.

its almost to the point where the nfl needs to do something maybe even create a farm league like baseball maybe play their draft picks on those teams using the same system as the big team maybe?