Bears to go after Braylon Edwards?

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Braylon Watch?

Besides their own free agents, the Bears are most likely to make a quick play for help at wide receiver once free agency comes. The most intriguing name has quietly become Braylon Edwards, given that Plaxico Burress is a very longshot and several others are very suspect.

Jason La Canfora at NFL.com reports that the New York Jets aren’t likely to chase Edwards, the No. 3 pick of the 2005 draft by the Cleveland Browns, very enthusiastically, and Jason puts him the dubious group of Cedric Benson, Matt Hasselbeck, Randy Moss and several others that he’d stay away from.

Edwards will bring issues and inconsistent behavior potentially. But Jerry Angelo gambled and won with Muhsin Muhammed, not always viewed as a stellar teammate during his first stint in Carolina. If the risk-reward ratio is right, and chances of that in a short, tight market favor the Bears with Angelo’s record of quick action on targets of opportunity, Edwards becomes a 6-foot-3 threat who has caught as many as 16 TD passes in a season (2007).

And just how would he look at the end of some Jay Cutler throws?
http://www.csnchicago.com/06/07/11/...nding_moon_v3.html?blockID=533178&feedID=3769

I wouldn't hate this move, but his tendency to drop a lot of passes makes me think twice about signing him

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
yeah I was gonna say he has butter fingers at times and drops some very easy passes. And considering how fast Cutler can zip it in there at times, idk if he's the WR we need.

He's better than a lot of guys we have, but if we can do better, we should.

I'm just still pissed that the Bears never attempted to go after Boldin, Marshall or Holmes via trade.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
I'd prefer Floyd, Rice or Sims-Walker, but he'd be better than nothing. As for you Bulls N' Bears, I agree about Boldin, but I'm glad we stayed away from Holmes, and especially Marshall.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
249px-Red_flag_waving.svg.png

Rick

Liked Posts:
Almost anything would be an upgrade over what the Bears have now at the receiver position.

Take a chance on him with a one year deal. I've said the same thing about Ochocinco and Burress.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd prefer Floyd, Rice or Sims-Walker, but he'd be better than nothing. As for you Bulls N' Bears, I agree about Boldin, but I'm glad we stayed away from Holmes, and especially Marshall.

yeah, the off the field stuff with Holmes and Marshall makes you wanna turn away from them... but they are sooooo talented. I think the reward could have been greater than the risk. Especially since the Cutler and Marshall have chemistry.

But I can see why fans wouldn't want them.

thedude33

Liked Posts:
If they can get him and have money to sign another free agent or two (like, say, an o-lineman and Cullen Jenkins), then picking him up would be good. If he's got a big price tag then you might as well spend the money on Rice.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah, the off the field stuff with Holmes and Marshall makes you wanna turn away from them... but they are sooooo talented. I think the reward could have been greater than the risk. Especially since the Cutler and Marshall have chemistry.

But I can see why fans wouldn't want them.

I think whatever chemistry they might've had at one point went out the window with this...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJyApVrfk_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - ‪Brandon Marshall throws ball at Jay Cutler‬‏[/ame]

J

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
hahahaah nah that was nothing. I saw an interview and one of them said that before that game, they were talking and joking around and Cutler said they were gonna shut him [marshall] down. so when Marshall made that catch, he just threw the ball at cutler as a joke.

Hmm, this is the first I've heard of it being a 'joke'. I seem to remember ESPN making a pretty big deal out of it after it happened. But now that I think about it, it was ESPN, so who knows...

J

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hmm, this is the first I've heard of it being a 'joke'. I seem to remember ESPN making a pretty big deal out of it after it happened. But now that I think about it, it was ESPN, so who knows...

J

Seems like I remember jay joking around about this...

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
is Vincent Jackson (SD) a free agent?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Bears need a starting DT before they do anything else when FA starts.

Adog06

Liked Posts:

Your right but i believe the Chargers slapped the franchise tag on him. Not sure how it will play out with the new CBA supposedly going to be resolved in days. If hes on the market with no restrictions then he is the guy the Bears HAVE to go after. Hes young too, and comes with the least amount of question marks.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Your right but i believe the Chargers slapped the franchise tag on him. Not sure how it will play out with the new CBA supposedly going to be resolved in days. If hes on the market with no restrictions then he is the guy the Bears HAVE to go after. Hes young too, and comes with the least amount of question marks.

oh they did? Must have missed it when it happened.

But yeah... if he becomes a FA under the new CBA, I'd take him over Edwards.

Adog06

Liked Posts:
oh they did? Must have missed it when it happened.

But yeah... if he becomes a FA under the new CBA, I'd take him over Edwards.

Absolutely, Hes the only can't miss receiver on the market. One of the best in the league and has the potential to be top 3. Knox, Bennett, Hester, and Olson would take pressure off of him. All they need is that one guy thats going to make everyone better.