Bears toughest Road to the Super Bowl according to this article

BigJ52

Liked Posts:
They look at that schedule more than just what was a teams won/loss record last year.

"The easiest way to rank each schedule in the NFL is to use strength of schedule, but we decided to throw that out the window, because that's not exactly the most efficient way to rate schedule difficulty. Instead, we came up with our own formula to rank each schedule.

To devise our formula, we started by going through each individual game on each team's schedule, so we could rank the games based on difficulty. If you're wondering how that works, here's a quick example: Although all four teams in the AFC East will play the Steelers this year, not all the games are rated equally like they are in the strength of schedule formula.

For instance, the Patriots open up the season at home against the Steelers, which means they have all offseason to prepare for Pittsburgh. On the other hand, the Dolphins have to hit the road to play the Steelers on a Monday night this season.

From a strength of schedule standpoint, the game is the same: Both teams are playing the Steelers. However, the Dolphins game is viewed as more difficult in our formula since they'll be playing a Pittsburgh team that is 13-2 on Mondays under Mike Tomlin and has never lost a Monday game at home with him as coach. Those individual nuances are factored into the schedule ratings"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...owl-54-ranking-the-path-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
No method is perfect, but I like the thought process.....

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
All 4 NFCN teams are in the top 10 worst strength of schedule. I don't care if they make the playoffs at 9-7 as long as they get in. They'll be battle tested and probably have seen most of the teams in the playoffs anyway, ready for revenge.

Bort

Liked Posts:
They look at that schedule more than just what was a teams won/loss record last year.

"The easiest way to rank each schedule in the NFL is to use strength of schedule, but we decided to throw that out the window, because that's not exactly the most efficient way to rate schedule difficulty. Instead, we came up with our own formula to rank each schedule.

To devise our formula, we started by going through each individual game on each team's schedule, so we could rank the games based on difficulty. If you're wondering how that works, here's a quick example: Although all four teams in the AFC East will play the Steelers this year, not all the games are rated equally like they are in the strength of schedule formula.

For instance, the Patriots open up the season at home against the Steelers, which means they have all offseason to prepare for Pittsburgh. On the other hand, the Dolphins have to hit the road to play the Steelers on a Monday night this season.

From a strength of schedule standpoint, the game is the same: Both teams are playing the Steelers. However, the Dolphins game is viewed as more difficult in our formula since they'll be playing a Pittsburgh team that is 13-2 on Mondays under Mike Tomlin and has never lost a Monday game at home with him as coach. Those individual nuances are factored into the schedule ratings"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...owl-54-ranking-the-path-for-all-32-nfl-teams/

This seems very stupid to me. Criteria like "Mondays at home with a specific coach" are so idiosyncratic with such small sample sizes that the deviation is probably due to pure chance.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
This seems very stupid to me. Criteria like "Mondays at home with a specific coach" are so idiosyncratic with such small sample sizes that the deviation is probably due to pure chance.

Yeah, You'd have to look at the teams Tomlin and the Steelers are playing on MNF to get to that record. Is it against the Bengals and Browns? LOL. Or the sorry ass East teams, like the Jets, Bills, and Dolphins? Probably a better indicator.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is no best way to do this but by all accounts we rank very high in difficulty of schedule plus have an away game in England, 3 Thursday games and currently one on Monday. We could still be flexed into more if the season goes well. There's a reason some of us expect a worse regular season record than last year with a team that should go further in the playoffs. This season will really test us. If we again do well, the future looks awesome.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rip this methodology if you want but its better than strictly going off strength of schedule which is about as valuable to me as paper mache when you need to wipe your ass.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Good teams have tough schedules. Also, the NFL changes from year to year and I can see a scenario where we'd be better off playing the Saints at home than going to Atlanta or Carolina. Playing the Chiefs, Chargers, and Cowboys at home is going to be tough but the home team usually wins those games if they are good. I would rather be in our position than GB's and Minnys.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no best way to do this but by all accounts we rank very high in difficulty of schedule plus have an away game in England, 3 Thursday games and currently one on Monday. We could still be flexed into more if the season goes well. There's a reason some of us expect a worse regular season record than last year with a team that should go further in the playoffs. This season will really test us. If we again do well, the future looks awesome.

Exactly, I'd put more emphasis on short weeks and overseas games, especially if you're playing a tough team on a short week.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's irregular but not quite as bad as it seems with one Thurs being the 1st game and the mid seasons Thursday's follow each other so only one has a short week.

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
SO Flawed. Road to the Super Bowl? It's all about getting into the Playoffs - then anything can happen. Given that, the best way to make the playoffs is to win your Division. Give THAT, who has the 2nd and 8th most "difficult" road according to this list.. Vikings and Packers. So unless the Lions are surprising everyone this year, which is doubtful. The road is the same it always has been - win the division, and get to the dance. Of course having the 1 or 2 seed makes it slightly easier with some P/O home games, but the playoffs are not even considered by the article at all.

Bort

Liked Posts:
I’ve never seen a study on the topic, but it seems like preseason strength of schedule always turns out to be wildly wrong. The Packers were supposed to have the toughest schedule in the NFL last season but ended up with the 5th easiest schedule (and that’s despite having to play the Bears twice).

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
SoS is a terrible metric to determine future success. Bears had the 8th hardest SoS coming into last season, ended up with one of the easiest. It's never had any real correlation with success in a season.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Well we dont have to play either the Patriots or Chiefs in the playoffs until we get to the Super Bowl..so this can't be true.

Rams dont scare me as we dismantled Goff last year. Saints will be tough, but not as hard as being in the AFC

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Rip this methodology if you want but its better than strictly going off strength of schedule which is about as valuable to me as paper mache when you need to wipe your ass.

It's a waste. At the end of the season, the Bears could very well have the easiest road. It looks tough, until it isn't.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
SoS is a terrible metric to determine future success. Bears had the 8th hardest SoS coming into last season, ended up with one of the easiest. It's never had any real correlation with success in a season.

Even more ironically, the final W/L ratio of last season's opponents was .520
Based on last season's W/L ratio of upcoming opponents, 2019 SOS is exactly .520.

At face value it does look tougher I admit that fully. Just interesting .

BTW - They ended up with the toughest in 2017 when all was said & done also.

Bearfanuk

Liked Posts:
I get the schedule looks tough but let's have it right. There isn't a single team that is looking forward to meeting this bears team either home or away. I know it's strange but we are good and it's our turn to be the tough team opponents don't want to face.