Bears Updated Season Outlook, and a path to the playoffs

Toast88

Liked Posts:
NFC does look tougher than last year, so I think it’ll take 10 wins to reach the playoffs. Honestly, the best thing that could happen to the Bears, other than winning games, would be for the NFC to simply take a step back like last year.

Sneaking a win out on Sunday really would’ve done wonders. It would’ve allowed the Bears to finish their final 11 games—a really tough stretch—6-5 and still make the playoffs. Now they’ll have to go 7-4 over that stretch.

Even with this subpar offense, that’s actually still doable. But it’s certainly an uphill climb. You all know about the strength of schedule from here on out.

Let’s split this up into groups of games just for the sake of fun fan analysis. I realize a billion things could change between now and the time the Bears play these teams, but this is a message board where we speculate on things. So here we go.

You gotta hope the Bears get pissed as all hell and come out of the gate and beat the Saints in two weeks. If they do that, all is essentially forgiven. They’ll be 4-2 having just won 2 out of 3 from Minnesota, London and New Orleans. Not bad. That’s frankly what I expected them to be after 6 games before the season.

From there, you play the Chargers, Eagles, Lions and Rams. Yikes. You can’t get out of that worse than 2-2. If they could somehow win 3 of those, they’d be overachieving and actually be putting themselves in a really good spot. For arguments’ sake, though, let’s say they go 2-2 during that span.

So now they’re 6-4.

Then comes Giants, Lions and Cowboys. You probably have to win at least 2 out of 3 of those.

Now they’re 8-5.

Win 2 out of your last 3 against the Packers, Chiefs and Vikings.

10-6. Playoff team.

I’ve just outlined above a pretty rosy outlook for the Beloved. And you see how it’s still so difficult to get to 10 wins. This is the power of the difficult schedule. This would’ve been the power of starting 4-1.

Don’t get me wrong. If the Bears miss the playoffs, it won’t be because they lose to the Raiders in early October. It’ll be because they weren’t worthy over the course of the season. London could be a symptom of that, though. That’s why that game was so important. And that’s why the Saints game is fucking HUGE now. The fans, Nagy and Trubisky (and the defense) better show the hell up for that one.

This isn’t last year. When the Bears fell to 3-3 last year, there was still a very reasonable path to the playoffs based on growth and schedule, although we didn’t fully see it because we still didn’t know at that time exactly what we had in this team or the head coach.

But you can’t do that this year. If you’re not 4-1, you sure as shit better be 4-2. If not, that second half schedule can tear the hell out of the Bears.

I’m certainly not panicking. This team has enough talent and guys who believe in each other and the coaching to beat anybody in the regular season. And I do mean anybody. But sooner or later, probability usually wins out, and it’s awful tough sledding from here on out, especially if they can’t beat the Saints at home.

So become huge fucking Chiefs fans from here on out. Maybe if they’re 13-1 going into the Bears game, they won’t have much to play for.

The good news is that this defense is so good that every team I mentioned is beatable. Every. Team. Doesn’t mean the Bears *will* win those games, just that they *can*.

I like to look at seasons like an ink splatter rather than a journey. I understand teams ebb and flow throughout the season, but it actually simplifies things.

Packers
Lions
Lions
Vikings
Giants
Saints
Rams
Chargers
Chiefs
Cowboys
Eagles

There are wins there. But holy shit, that might be tough as hell no matter how you look at it. Offense has got to get better. Defense has got to continue to carry. And some luck wouldn’t hurt.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
I like your optimism, but it ain’t happening. This team can’t beat good teams regularly. They can scrape a win or two, if the defense shows up, but other than that they’re not wining against good teams.

Heck, they just faced the easiest part of the schedule, and are barely above .500, with a lot of luck! That Broncos games should have been a loss. The only team at the level of the Redskins, Broncos and Raiders are the NYG, that’s one game. All the rest are better, and most much better.

Even before the season I had them at 8-8, but after seeing how bad the offense is, this is a losing record team.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is not a playoff team.

The QB did not take a step forward and the OL regressed into the abyss.

Meanwhile the Packers look to have fixed their biggest issue.

Nobody would say this is not a playoff after the total destruction of Minnesota last week. The Bears and the Bills will make the playoffs on defense, and the extent of the playoff run will depend on the offense getting toward mediocrity.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they can make the playoffs in the NFC then look bad in the WC game. Great defense/bad offense can still work but this offense is producing at the same level as teams that are actively tanking.

Jdgood1

Liked Posts:
Looking at the rest of the schedule anyone thinking the bears have a chance at the playoffs is delusional.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the offense doesn't start to do something........anything, eventually the D will taper off.

bullsadonisdna

Liked Posts:
Looking at the rest of the schedule anyone thinking the bears have a chance at the playoffs is delusional.

Not really man. The colts just knocked off the chiefs.
People need to realize youre bound for at least 1 let down game playing with your backup qb.
Guess chicago sports fans are used to living in the moment

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Playoffs are a sure thing. You guys are funny. We have to much talent for any team we meet. Only question is do we show up. Playoffs are a gimme.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
9-7 miss the playoffs and then deal with the major cap problems for next year.

Yesterday’s game showed this isn’t a championship team.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nobody would say this is not a playoff after the total destruction of Minnesota last week. The Bears and the Bills will make the playoffs on defense, and the extent of the playoff run will depend on the offense getting toward mediocrity.

I can't agree with this. I think 11 wins might be needed for a wildcard this year (Packers win 12 imo), depending on whether any of the NFC West teams fall off a bit. But even 10 I see as unrealistic without significant offensive improvement.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Playoffs are a sure thing. You guys are funny. We have to much talent for any team we meet. Only question is do we show up. Playoffs are a gimme.

I honestly can't tell if you really believe the things you type, or whether you're doing some kind of satirical homer bit.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
You gotta hope the Bears get pissed as all hell and come out of the gate and beat the Saints in two weeks. If they do that, all is essentially forgiven. They’ll be 4-2 having just won 2 out of 3 from Minnesota, London and New Orleans. Not bad. That’s frankly what I expected them to be after 6 games before the season.

What's Nagy's record after a bye (Chiefs OC + Bears HC)? 0-4

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I can't agree with this. I think 11 wins might be needed for a wildcard this year (Packers win 12 imo), depending on whether any of the NFC West teams fall off a bit. But even 10 I see as unrealistic without significant offensive improvement.
SF will fall off.

WC I believe will come down to Rams, Bears, Panthers and Cowboys. 2 of the 4 will make it, will take 9 to 11 wins to get in, but 10 should do it.

I see 8-10 wins for the Bears as they currently are, if Trubisky can find his way to his form of last year (with the worse oline) then I would say 10 wins looks like a good bet. If he can't then I would say 10 wins is a poor bet.

DET 2X
Vikings
Chargers
Chiefs (Mahomes just doesn't have the help on offense, his line sucks)
Giants

^ all very winnable

Rest are really tough outs but you gotta hope for a steal here and there.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
SF will fall off.

WC I believe will come down to Rams, Bears, Panthers and Cowboys. 2 of the 4 will make it, will take 9 to 11 wins to get in, but 10 should do it.

I see 8-10 wins for the Bears as they currently are, if Trubisky can find his way to his form of last year (with the worse oline) then I would say 10 wins looks like a good bet. If he can't then I would say 10 wins is a poor bet.

DET 2X
Vikings
Chargers
Chiefs (Mahomes just doesn't have the help on offense, his line sucks)
Giants

^ all very winnable

Rest are really tough outs but you gotta hope for a steal here and there.

Detroit is the best in the division and you are calling 2 easy wins? And Chiefs easy?

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Detroit is the best in the division and you are calling 2 easy wins? And Chiefs easy?
I never said easy. I said they are very winnable. They may end up being losses, but I think we matchup well with both of them.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
I never said easy. I said they are very winnable. They may end up being losses, but I think we matchup well with both of them.
Well, to be fair, they're all winnable, and could lose all as well,

In a year and a quarter they have only beat 1 playoff team, the Rams, and they did beat the Seahawks, when they were pretty bad at the first third of last season. Until they show they can beat good teams, I wont give them a chance to get into the playoffs.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Why does everyone make assumptions based on the last game? People never learn their lesson that the NFL is really unpredictable at determining who is good and who isn't.

It doesn't matter who you play, it matters WHEN you play them. Some of the teams we play later like the Chargers, Chiefs, Rams and Cowboys are currently struggling and who knows how they will be playing when we play them. At the same time, who knows if Daniel Jones will start playing well when we play them? Maybe the Panthers are all of a sudden good too although we don't play them.