Bears Updated Season Outlook, and a path to the playoffs

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
9-7 no playoffs is what I thought heading into the season. After 5 games, I would have to change it to 7-9 based on how bad the offense is. The defense will eventually crack especially without Hicks and Smith going bipolar disorder.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I still think 10 is possible (that would be 7-4 against the tougher end of the schedule) if the QB and running game can play even a bit better. But I think it's a wild card because I think the Packers are back to 12 win form again.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I do not see this team making the playoffs. The NFC is too competitive and every other team has a better QB than the Bears. I know, I know the Bears have a great D, but that obviously is going to let us down at times and without a QB to pick up the slack, I just don't see it.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Yeah, it looks like they will. They’re beating a good team soundly right now.
Browns aren't good.

Regardless, even if they're for real, someone in the west (out of Seahawks, Rams, and SF) will sustain at least 6 losses. Maybe it'll be the Rams? They don't have the same running attack anymore, and their secondary is being torched by everyone right now.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace has made a bold tribute to the past.

He has remade the 2006 Bears, only with a much crappier OL and worse special teams.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
(Beat Vikings)

“Back on track for Super Bowl, baby!!”

(Lose to Raiders)

“8-8 team at best!!”

Although only 16 games, it’s a long season. Lots of ebbing and flowing. You dominate one week, then get dominated the next. Going week-by-week assigning W’s and L’s is a fun thing that I did above, but truth be told, guys, it’s ultimately useless to the full outlook of the season. That’s not how the NFL works.

This team could easily be 5-2 in three weeks. It could also be 3-4.

It’s fine to be critical and analytical and to give honest assessments on the future. But it *is* still too early to panic for a winning football team.

There are 11 games left and a lot of good football players on this roster. Bear down.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
NFC does look tougher than last year, so I think it’ll take 10 wins to reach the playoffs. Honestly, the best thing that could happen to the Bears, other than winning games, would be for the NFC to simply take a step back like last year.

Sneaking a win out on Sunday really would’ve done wonders. It would’ve allowed the Bears to finish their final 11 games—a really tough stretch—6-5 and still make the playoffs. Now they’ll have to go 7-4 over that stretch.

Even with this subpar offense, that’s actually still doable. But it’s certainly an uphill climb. You all know about the strength of schedule from here on out.

Let’s split this up into groups of games just for the sake of fun fan analysis. I realize a billion things could change between now and the time the Bears play these teams, but this is a message board where we speculate on things. So here we go.

You gotta hope the Bears get pissed as all hell and come out of the gate and beat the Saints in two weeks. If they do that, all is essentially forgiven. They’ll be 4-2 having just won 2 out of 3 from Minnesota, London and New Orleans. Not bad. That’s frankly what I expected them to be after 6 games before the season.

From there, you play the Chargers, Eagles, Lions and Rams. Yikes. You can’t get out of that worse than 2-2. If they could somehow win 3 of those, they’d be overachieving and actually be putting themselves in a really good spot. For arguments’ sake, though, let’s say they go 2-2 during that span.

So now they’re 6-4.

Then comes Giants, Lions and Cowboys. You probably have to win at least 2 out of 3 of those.

Now they’re 8-5.

Win 2 out of your last 3 against the Packers, Chiefs and Vikings.

10-6. Playoff team.

I’ve just outlined above a pretty rosy outlook for the Beloved. And you see how it’s still so difficult to get to 10 wins. This is the power of the difficult schedule. This would’ve been the power of starting 4-1.

Don’t get me wrong. If the Bears miss the playoffs, it won’t be because they lose to the Raiders in early October. It’ll be because they weren’t worthy over the course of the season. London could be a symptom of that, though. That’s why that game was so important. And that’s why the Saints game is fucking HUGE now. The fans, Nagy and Trubisky (and the defense) better show the hell up for that one.

This isn’t last year. When the Bears fell to 3-3 last year, there was still a very reasonable path to the playoffs based on growth and schedule, although we didn’t fully see it because we still didn’t know at that time exactly what we had in this team or the head coach.

But you can’t do that this year. If you’re not 4-1, you sure as shit better be 4-2. If not, that second half schedule can tear the hell out of the Bears.

I’m certainly not panicking. This team has enough talent and guys who believe in each other and the coaching to beat anybody in the regular season. And I do mean anybody. But sooner or later, probability usually wins out, and it’s awful tough sledding from here on out, especially if they can’t beat the Saints at home.

So become huge fucking Chiefs fans from here on out. Maybe if they’re 13-1 going into the Bears game, they won’t have much to play for.

The good news is that this defense is so good that every team I mentioned is beatable. Every. Team. Doesn’t mean the Bears *will* win those games, just that they *can*.

I like to look at seasons like an ink splatter rather than a journey. I understand teams ebb and flow throughout the season, but it actually simplifies things.

Packers
Lions
Lions
Vikings
Giants
Saints
Rams
Chargers
Chiefs
Cowboys
Eagles

There are wins there. But holy shit, that might be tough as hell no matter how you look at it. Offense has got to get better. Defense has got to continue to carry. And some luck wouldn’t hurt.
I actually see the Bears next seven games as very winnable. Are the Lions improved? Sure. Should the Bears sweep them? Yes.

As to the Eagles, they are worse this year than last. The entire NFC East is overrated along with the Rams. And the Saints are great but they will be without Brees. Chargers are 2-3 with one of their wins against the Dolphins and the other at home in overtime against the colts.

I'm not saying the Bears go 7-0 in that span. But I expect at worst 5-2.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace has made a bold tribute to the past.

He has remade the 2006 Bears, only with a much crappier OL and worse special teams.

And a far worse deep ball.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Their schedule is kind of fucked this year.

Against bad teams: Travel to Den during Sept. Travel to London. Probably will map out to the toughest strength of schedule.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I honestly can't tell if you really believe the things you type, or whether you're doing some kind of satirical homer bit.
Both. I go hyperbowl when you guys get extra negative but I also believe were a playoff team. We'll be peaking at the right time.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I just don’t see the Bears winning 10 games this year.

I had a feeling last year that they would win 11 games and they won 12 but that was a different year and schedule.

The bears division was weaker last year and is MUCH better this year, the Lions are a good team this year, as good if not better than Minnesota. The Packers have a running game as of now and a really good defense and for the packers that is scary.

The bears ? had a much more explosive offense last year even though Trubisky missed a ton of huge plays I believe he made either the most or second most long plays. He ran the ball extremely well extending drives and running for td’s as well.

Trubisky hasn’t thrown deep for one time to Gabriel. That’s alarming

Cohen was explosive last year and this year it just hasn’t happened.

The Bears last year had an offensive identity and looked extremely good last year at times and haven’t had any promising offensive games.

The last game is going to kill them by the end of the year. 4-1 and 3-2 just seems to me as a huge difference and I just don’t see them overcoming it.

The schedule will at best tire the shit out of this defense due to the offensive futility and therefore even if they made the playoffs, they’ll most likely have to play in a wild card game and they’ll struggle physically to compete after all these tough games.

Nagy’s offense demands long drives and zero running game and qb futility is near impossible to sustain and we are seeing the results of it.

I’m utterly confused as to why you get rid of Howard and draft a guy quite high (given our current draft capital) for a dude that just isn’t going to scare any defense.

Does anyone honestly think that there’s a difference in production if you play Nall and Whyte vs Montgomery and Davis? Pace has zero clue about offensive players! See glennon and Davis signing as proof that we are doomed on that side of the ball

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I just don't feel with this defense we can be any worse than 9-7 if we don't sustain any more serious injuries.

We also have had some injuries this season.

I don't think its panic time yet. Let get our starting QB back. The 2 games prior to London were the best 2 they played all year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We have critical weaknesses at QB and OL, you just do not win with weaknesses at those spots.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I just don’t see the Bears winning 10 games this year.

I had a feeling last year that they would win 11 games and they won 12 but that was a different year and schedule.

The bears division was weaker last year and is MUCH better this year, the Lions are a good team this year, as good if not better than Minnesota. The Packers have a running game as of now and a really good defense and for the packers that is scary.

The bears ? had a much more explosive offense last year even though Trubisky missed a ton of huge plays I believe he made either the most or second most long plays. He ran the ball extremely well extending drives and running for td’s as well.

Trubisky hasn’t thrown deep for one time to Gabriel. That’s alarming

Cohen was explosive last year and this year it just hasn’t happened.

The Bears last year had an offensive identity and looked extremely good last year at times and haven’t had any promising offensive games.

The last game is going to kill them by the end of the year. 4-1 and 3-2 just seems to me as a huge difference and I just don’t see them overcoming it.

The schedule will at best tire the shit out of this defense due to the offensive futility and therefore even if they made the playoffs, they’ll most likely have to play in a wild card game and they’ll struggle physically to compete after all these tough games.

Nagy’s offense demands long drives and zero running game and qb futility is near impossible to sustain and we are seeing the results of it.

I’m utterly confused as to why you get rid of Howard and draft a guy quite high (given our current draft capital) for a dude that just isn’t going to scare any defense.

Does anyone honestly think that there’s a difference in production if you play Nall and Whyte vs Montgomery and Davis? Pace has zero clue about offensive players! See glennon and Davis signing as proof that we are doomed on that side of the ball
Don't be a nancy, 3-2 and 4-1 is no different from 14-2 and 15-1. One loss is one loss.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We're not going anywhere without fixing the OL. Even if you happen to get to the playoffs as a WC, a playoff D will destroy this line and you can't expect a D performance like against the Vikes every week.

Hopefully, Roquan has his shit together by our next game as well. He had no idea what he was doing last Sunday. Big part of why the Raider ran so well. Big mistake by the coaches to play him and they probably didn't want to pull him and fuck with his head some more. If there was game for Kwiatkowski to sub, that was it.

Nothing will be gained by the D watching that film. Coaching and player focus is what caused that effort. They beat us up front but we didn't fill and the under stuff was open all day.