Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think he will get 7+ outside chance of higher...

I don't think he is worth more than 5
I wouldn't be surprised, but I also wouldn't be surprised if interest in him is tepid. Slow thumper ILB that is a career backup playing well in a limited stretch is far from a hot commodity, but then again it only takes 1 team.

I don't think many thought the Bears would get Aaron Lynch back for $1.5M after a decent season as the 3rd OLB after 2018 but interest in him was lacking. He is a human neutral zone infraction, but still he returned much cheaper than expected.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
NK gets 5-6/yr with around 12 guaranteed. If we don't sign KPL to a 3+ year contract I'm going to be unhappy. If we re-sign Chase Danielssssss I'm going to have a stroke....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be surprised, but I also wouldn't be surprised if interest in him is tepid. Slow thumper ILB that is a career backup playing well in a limited stretch is far from a hot commodity, but then again it only takes 1 team.

I don't think many thought the Bears would get Aaron Lynch back for $1.5M after a decent season as the 3rd OLB after 2018 but interest in him was lacking. He is a human neutral zone infraction, but still he returned much cheaper than expected.

Kwiat was rated pretty high by the third party "please click me" scouting sites. Oddly enough they rated him high on pass coverage. What they fail to realize is that Kwiat wasn't a guy they sent to the flats alone too often for good reason. Kwiat has been exposed previously so I think the defense kept him in the middle of the field playing zone.

That being said, all it takes is one dumb as team.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Still think he is 3-5 million max kind of guy.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Just as reference, $8mil/year would have put NK as the 13th highest paid off ball LB in the league last year.

$5mil/year would put him at 22nd.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Just as reference, $8mil/year would have put NK as the 13th highest paid off ball LB in the league last year.

$5mil/year would put him at 22nd.

If he can be signed for like 4 years $20 mil then i'm all in at $5 mil per and most likely in at $6 mil per but after that i'm stepping back.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Quite frankly he is probably better off taking a 1 year deal and trying to get a full season worth of starts then looking to cash in.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I’ve been on the bring back KPL as a starter train for a bit now. Think you get 90% of the LB Trevathan or Kwit is, but at 30% of the price. Gives you leeway to throw at OL, S, and possibly TE, CB, and OLB if Bears choose to go a different direction at those spots.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

He's ranked 4th at ILB and 50th overall, in 2018 Demario Davis got 3yrs, $24 million at the same ranking at ILB (56th overall).

I suppose he will get some dough, and if Biggs thinks he's likely gone, he probably is. KPL is probably cheaper and faster

jive

Liked Posts:
Kwiatkoski and KPL are good, but they are also replaceable. I wouldn't give top 10 money to either.
Kwiatkoski at 4 years $20-25 mil, and KPL at 3 years $12 mil.

Trevathan is a tough call. He's the brains of the D, and they play better with him healthy and on the field. But, he's getting older and is becoming injured more often. It's hard to tie up money on him.

There's too many needs that need to be addressed in the draft and FA that it would be better to keep one of our own, unless it's a clear upgrade at the position.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kwiatkoski and KPL are good, but they are also replaceable. I wouldn't give top 10 money to either.

Trevathan is a tough call. He's the brains of the D, and they play better with him healthy and on the field. But, he's getting older and is becoming injured more often. It's hard to tie up money on him.

There's too many needs that need to be addressed in the draft and FA that it would be better to keep one of our own, unless it's a clear upgrade at the position.
You don’t need to pay JPL much

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Someone may pay him close to 10m a year. Bears won’t match that
I sure hope not.

Don't pay him more than your last offer to Urlacher.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don't think Trevathan can command much on the market, and I'd like the Bears to see if they can offer him a reasonable rate, hold steady, let him test the market, and get him at a fair price.

I guess Iggy isn't going to pan out? What about Pierre?

With Roquan this isn't maybe the biggest need on the team. They can find somebody to plug that hole in the box as they have their coverage backer.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
cap has gone up. There are quite a few ILBs making damn good money
4.5 sounds fair to me for Kwiat. I realize he may get more, and thats why he can walk.

Its too easy of a position to find.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Fox way overpaid Trevathan.

He was the lucky free agent on the best defense, but the 10th or 11th most important guy for the Broncos. I feel like he can take a fair short deal to stay or walk, he isn't going to command much and he already made double his value.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I thought Fox way overpaid Trevathan.

He was the lucky free agent on the best defense, but the 10th or 11th most important guy for the Broncos. I feel like he can take a fair short deal to stay or walk, he isn't going to command much and he already made double his value.

Trevathan was the “good player with strong leadership” vet Fox brought in to help repair culture from the Trestman years. He was always a strong player (never really a star though), but I think his leadership intangibles played a larger part of his contract than anything else.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Biggs

“THE BEARS HAVE A HUGE INVESTMENT IN FORMER FIRST-ROUND PICK ROQUAN SMITH, AND THAT MAKES IT SOMEWHAT UNLIKELY THE TEAM BUCKS UP TO KEEP TREVATHAN. KWIATKOWSKI ALSO COULD MAKE MORE ON THE OPEN MARKET THAN THE BEARS WANT TO PAY. I’M NOT SURE WHO IS TALKING ABOUT THIS, BUT I’D RECOMMEND THEY CLOSELY RE-EXAMINE WHAT HAPPENED OFFENSIVELY FOR THE BEARS IN 2019 AND CONSIDER THE BENEFIT OF USING AVAILABLE RESOURCES ON THAT SIDE OF THE BALL.”

Re-sign: Kevin Pierre-Louis

FA: Zach Brown

Draft: Akeem Davies-Gaither

Use the money elsewhere in FA. Target OL, TE and EDGE

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I heard Briggs shit over Kwiatkowski all year. Great game, always the after thought. They wont be able to afford him, but will sign some free agent for 6 million.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
He ended up earning it, but we don't have to keep paying him more than market value
Dont forget the plan was Freeman and Trevathan and I thought they both went out their first year with torn pecs.

Lets hope we get someone that teaches how to tackle.