Blackhawks Sign (G) Robin Lehner - 1 Year / $5M

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Isnt crow here one more year? Delia win the backup job?

How are they able to afford all these new players. +2 million over Ward, two new d men are 2 million over their replacements.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh shit...

you would think this means Ward might be out...

unless

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only thing I understand right now is why Stan would do this.

From a team perspective the years don't make sense...from a player perspective I don't see why Lehner signed this, from a fan perspective...it guarantees playoffs, which is what Stan had to do.

Smart man...
Wants to keep his job Crow or no Crow, and this buys a year to bridge to Lehtanen maybe.

But why would you want $14 million tied up in 3 goalies for 1 year? Then nobody?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The only thing I understand right now is why Stan would do this.

From a team perspective the years don't make sense...from a player perspective I don't see why Lehner signed this, from a fan perspective...it guarantees playoffs, which is what Stan had to do.

Smart man...
Wants to keep his job Crow or no Crow, and this buys a year to bridge to Lehtanen maybe.

But why would you want $14 million tied up in 3 goalies for 1 year? Then nobody?

More trades are about to happen imo

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
More trades are about to happen imo

Maybe...but then we are left with Lehner and Crawford on 1 year deals? Or we are left with Lehner and Ward?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ward isn't on the team. One year deal.

As for Lehner....omfg yes yes yes!!!!

Hawks are Cup contender. Change my mind
Oh...Ok...

Then I am just surprsied the Hawks got Lehner on a one year...they must genuinely not know what to do with Crawford and were honest about that.

Having a legit back-up should make it easier for him to have guilt free nights of rest.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Oh...Ok...

Then I am just surprsied the Hawks got Lehner on a one year...they must genuinely not know what to do with Crawford and were honest about that.

Having a legit back-up should make it easier for him to have guilt free nights of rest.
This is the best tandem in the league. Both goalies if on their game can win it by themselves

This is gonna be a long summer

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Absolutely love this signing.

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:
Most likely Ward wasn't in the plans even before Lehner was signed - Delia was going to be the backup to Crawford. Now Delia can be sent to Rockford to tandem with Lehtonen.

Signing Lehner for only 1 season is not a bug - it's a feature. Both Crawford and Lehner are on expiring contracts which means one or both will not be back next season so at least $5M will be freed up to go toward the Cat/Strome re-signings. Had they signed Lehner for more than the 2019/20 season, it would have locked in more of the 2020/21 cap space reducing the flexibility Stan would have to get Cat/Strome re-signed.

This move helps the Hawks for 2019/20 without hurting them for 2020/21 and beyond.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Basically an audition for Lehner to take over the starting gig after next season. I think the Hawks are tired of Crawford and have no intention of offering a contract extension regardless if he plays well/stays healthy. Crow will be 35 and his concussion issues make him unreliable at best.

Delia and Lankinen battle it out in Rockford and likely one of them will be seeing games in the NHL with Crow’s health questions anyway. Best man has the inside lane for the back-up job season after next. Thing is most goalies don’t peak until around 27-28. Lehner is there now.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I heard a sound bit from Bowman this morning. He said something along the lines of I dont know how the playing time is going to be split, its about being great every game.

The great organIzations find a way to develop talent to take the spots of overpaid players.

Lately our strength has been in the D category, they bring in 2 players over 4 million each, seemingly available because their current teams either think they are getting paid too much, or will be with the next contract. No room for cheap options.
Next best development has been in goal. Not only Delia, Lankinen, I thought the big fish what Nalimov. Mr .942 save percentage in the KHL, who was released because his team could not afford him.
I am not saying this is a bad signing, just that I thought they had this covered. Its the constant Bowman response while telling guys to get better so they can get more for them in a trade.

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well...

I guess how I can see giving him more than 1 year would have been internally political and caused the chaos of "replacing" Crawford.

This is the best case scenario for 2019/20 and we hope it works out for the best and he does well and wants to stay.