Blackhawks Sign (G) Robin Lehner - 1 Year / $5M

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Isnt crow here one more year? Delia win the backup job?

How are they able to afford all these new players. +2 million over Ward, two new d men are 2 million over their replacements.
Delia didn't win the backup job--not by a long shot. I still expect the battle of Ypres between Delia/Lankinen/Nalimov/Peeters irrespective of the Starter/backup situation.

They were able to afford it with Ward, Kruger, & Kunitz coming off the books.

As for the Crawford situation, I like the Lehner signing but honestly the money and term make me think we don't know something about Crawford's situation. My best spitball guess is Crawford may not be expected to play, and as a thank you they might be LTIR'ing him rather than trading him or pressuring him to retire--especially since he carried the 'hawks in 2017-2018 while the 18 skaters in front of him were busy playing grabass and the thanks he got was being ran twice without any retribution.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Delia didn't win the backup job--not by a long shot. I still expect the battle of Ypres between Delia/Lankinen/Nalimov/Peeters irrespective of the Starter/backup situation.

They were able to afford it with Ward, Kruger, & Kunitz coming off the books.

As for the Crawford situation, I like the Lehner signing but honestly the money and term make me think we don't know something about Crawford's situation. My best spitball guess is Crawford may not be expected to play, and as a thank you they might be LTIR'ing him rather than trading him or pressuring him to retire--especially since he carried the 'hawks in 2017-2018 while the 18 skaters in front of him were busy playing grabass and the thanks he got was being ran twice without any retribution.
But they also added dollars on D. DeHaas is at 4.6 million, Maata is at 4.08, for three more years replacing two guys making 900K. Shaw is at 3.9 for 3 more years, Krueger was at 4. Kunitz was a million, carpenter is a million. Ward was 2.5 to 3 with games played bonus.
We are currently with 10 forwards with a million left in cap space.
I get the crow worries, but only 1 year to Lehner pretty much shows if they dont win this year, this whole thing is gonna get blown up.
There is a modified no trade with crow, he has to give them 10 teams he will accept going to. He knows his foot is out the door and knows Bob just got 10 million, his next contract is based on playing this year and playing enough to get another deal.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
But they also added dollars on D. DeHaas is at 4.6 million, Maata is at 4.08, for three more years replacing two guys making 900K. Shaw is at 3.9 for 3 more years, Krueger was at 4. Kunitz was a million, carpenter is a million. Ward was 2.5 to 3 with games played bonus.
We are currently with 10 forwards with a million left in cap space.
I get the crow worries, but only 1 year to Lehner pretty much shows if they dont win this year, this whole thing is gonna get blown up.
There is a modified no trade with crow, he has to give them 10 teams he will accept going to. He knows his foot is out the door and knows Bob just got 10 million, his next contract is based on playing this year and playing enough to get another deal.
He's also 35--he's not going to be due a massive payday anymore than Toews and Kane will when their deals end. Further, he got ran twice in as many years. He also went out the 2nd to last game of the year. He also had to deal with 18 pussies in front of him who wouldn't take the opposition to task in any way whatsoever when he got ran--especially after carrying their carcasses in 2018.

As good as Crawford is/was, I think it's he's done after this year, if not this coming year. It sucks especially considering the way his career stands as of now, but honestly I doubt he's traded. His numbers last year were down to the lowest since 2012 and he has health issues exacerbated because the team in front of him completely lacked any pack mentality. The only team I could possibly see taking an interest would be Columbus given his cap hit, but after their firesale I don't know if Crawford, if he wants to play, would want to go there. There may be an outside chance at a TDL move, but I thin k the most likley scenarios are Crawford is done and will be LTIR'ed over retiring so he gets his final paycheck, or Stan's doubling down and going all in this year.

And as for the cap space, there' other moves available. CF has 8 D-men on the roster and I seriously doubt they'll carry 8 on the roster--one of KK or Dahlstrom is likely Rockforded or unloaded. Plus, Delia's on the roster, which if the 'hawks are indeed platooning Crawford and Lehner his money will be in Rockford as well. That's about 2.8M to get 2-3 bottom 6 FWDs onto the roster--which is easily doable, plus there's always a chance Anisimov is moved what with Carpenter coming in as a 3rd line center.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
They have been trying to move AA for two years now, theres as much chance at him moving as Seabroke. Sorry, just seems like the past two or three years all over again. Fill the roster, no room for the developing players. If they simply are not good enough for the nhl, then maybe the problem is in the people choosing them. If they want to make a move it will cost a top prospect, but they way it looks Bovquist or Joker have no room here anyway.

I am guessing we dont have to worry about Strome or cats extensions since they wont be here if they do not accept a bridge deal.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It feels like Lehner and his agent believe in him and gambled on him a bit here. He could have gotten term...but jumped at the opportunity to make the most he could on a 1 year with an ascending team, and whatever part of the Crow story he liked. He may like having a man to split time with and stay fresh, or if Crow is retiring maybe they told him.

The uncertainty with Crow-Lahtenen-Nalimov makes one year fine for the Hawks...and shit if he could be had I think you go ahead and invest in 5/25 if you could lock that guy up...stud.

But why I say they gambled on him is cuz thats the only part that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they didn't get offers they were expecting and jumped all over a prove it deal, hoping for 5/40 or something.

I'd like to see him thrive, sign long term, then let Lahtenen and Nalimov prove themselves behind him.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
It feels like Lehner and his agent believe in him and gambled on him a bit here. He could have gotten term...but jumped at the opportunity to make the most he could on a 1 year with an ascending team, and whatever part of the Crow story he liked. He may like having a man to split time with and stay fresh, or if Crow is retiring maybe they told him.

The uncertainty with Crow-Lahtenen-Nalimov makes one year fine for the Hawks...and shit if he could be had I think you go ahead and invest in 5/25 if you could lock that guy up...stud.

But why I say they gambled on him is cuz thats the only part that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they didn't get offers they were expecting and jumped all over a prove it deal, hoping for 5/40 or something.

I'd like to see him thrive, sign long term, then let Lahtenen and Nalimov prove themselves behind him.
I read, and I think posted it here not too long ago, that the Nalimov ship sailed and sunk.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The change was that last year around June 1st Nalimov said he would sign in one year.

The most recent article I can find is dated June 17th, 2019 with Nalimov saying he is waiting to hear if the Blackhawks will sign him or not.

If he is ready to come to NHL...and Lehner took his roster spot...

What would be keeping us from trading Nalimov for what he is worth or half what he is worth?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You posted this on page 11 of 2019 Draft thread.

Nalimov

That article, which we can't read the end of, was June 2nd. Here is the June 17 article claiming situation is still undecided.
June 17

I read also that Nalimov's agent spoke to Bowman last August, so I would assume the same will happen this year and they will invite him to camp and then trade somebody? 4 goalies would be awesome to have. Trade either Crow to Montreal, sign his retirement papers, or they could sign and trade Nalimov to a team with a spot he can win as it has seemed he wants to avoid AHL

Last edited: