Blackhawks vs Knights 9:00 cst 12/10/19

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My starting of GDT is spotty at best.

chris71

Liked Posts:
When is enough, enough? Its pretty clear that there is an issue with the team and Colliton,
Under Colliton we suck

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
Looks like Kubalik hit the net with a shot attempt, and scored! I like how he plays overall, but want to see him finish like that more often. Or at least not flub the opportunity completely

Granada

Liked Posts:
Looks like Kubalik hit the net with a shot attempt, and scored! I like how he plays overall, but want to see him finish like that more often. Or at least not flub the opportunity completely

At least he made up for the glorious chance he was fed by Toews two minutes into the game, where he missed the net completely yet again.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Not a terrible first period...right?

No, not a bad first period. Admittedly, I was in and out of sleep for the 2nd and 3rd, but up for the first. I continue to really like Gilbert, I thought he made some nice defensive plays in the 1st (not sure how he did the remainder of the game though). Crawford had some superb saves. The Hawks generated some solid chances and time in the attack zone seemed pretty even between both teams. The Knights were killing us in the hitting department. The only real odd-man rush I remember was when Stone got of the box and got a breakaway, but other than that, the defense didn't give up another (if I recall).

Boqvist didn't look good, at least in the 1st. He flat out fell on his own as the Knights rushed up ice, and Gilbert had to bail him out (another good play by him in that period).

Glad I was half-conscious for the rest.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Yeah, Colliton gotta go.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There is a rumor out there that Colliton and Toews don't get along. This was probably fueled by the fact that two games ago, Colliton and Toews were shown in somewhat of an animated conversation on the bench. Think Jay Zawaski also talked about this in one of his recent podcasts, but I haven't listened to it yet. Guess my point is, all the more reason to fire Colliton I would suppose.

But if anyone should be fired, it's Bowman. He's the one who fired a hall of fame coach and hired Colliton in the first place. I don't like Colliton (don't hate him as much as I used to, but again, can't say I "like" him), but I would be fine if he stays and Bowman is the one shown the door -- but the org. won't have the balls to do that, and they'll give Bowman another fall guy in Colliton. I won't be surprised if they ride out Colliton for the year and fire him in the off-season.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I thought they were ready to give Crawford the interim job when they only got 3 out of 14 possible points against the west, but then the gripes and he was gone. Since then babcock has been fired but he will probably choose to go sit at a desk at NHL network while remaining the top paid head coach in the league for a while. But if you want to right a Toews relationship, then team canada coach would probably do that.

Bowman blows, no doubt, but when you have 3 experienced D men, experienced, not necessarily good, and three young guys, why dont you give each veteran a young guy for the pairings? Hang Gilbert with Bovquist while Seabrook plays grabby pants with DeHaan. That is on the coach.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coaches are getting fired because of the hotline around the league. Hockey players having a #metoo revolution flubbed our plan B and whole league is scared right now.

The brotherhood has broken and this league is full of dirt, because it's been full of booze in its past.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Coaches are getting fired because of the hotline around the league. Hockey players having a #metoo revolution flubbed our plan B and whole league is scared right now.

The brotherhood has broken and this league is full of dirt, because it's been full of booze in its past.

Yeah Dallas just fired their head coach. Has any other team? I am wondering how long it will take to announce Crawford's firing, as I can't see the Hawks bringing him back (wouldn't be worth the black eye, in this current climate). I could be wrong of course; just guessing.

I read somewhere (twitter, maybe?) of the idea that, with Crawford essentially gone, the Hawks should just hire Olczyk to be head coach. I laughed when I read that -- and still think it's a bit funny -- but when I think about it, I'd rather have Edzo than Colliton; at least for the short-term.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The fact is that the hawks may have been bad, but they still had a good core and were coming off a hall of fame coach, it should have been easy to pick a top guy up and not reinvent the wheel. It's a highly viable and sought after position. There are many worse in the league. Even still now... but Bowman. He took a very strange easy decision with a guy that really had no reason to get the job other than Bowman trying to show that he was the smartest guy in the room again. He took an unnecessary gamble on a coach that didn't have the resume to coach for Chicago. Maybe he could have at a lesser team and worked his way up by getting experience, but the Chicago HC position is not a job that you throw at a first time HC. In this town, you can't just coach the team, you have to manage the town, the media, the fans, the expectations and as much of the outside noise as inside noise. It's how a guy like Joe Maddon can go from generational hero to managing another team in about 5 years flat. Just stupid, and then he piled on stupid by giving him a rediculous extension out of no where based on nothing. It's not like college where you have to make sure your guy has a certain number of years on his contract to attract recruits. NHL to an extend is like that for free agency but with JC as the coach it's not going to matter because no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is going to come and sign here just because they are comfortable with him as coach. So why they not only gave him the job but then extended him for no real reason has got to be some bribery pictures level type bullshit and another prime exhibit as to why Stan and ultimately McDick for putting up with Stan because he's a bowman, has to go.

/walloftextsuckit

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great rant, but the wall of text... meh.
Not a good look.

Granada

Liked Posts:
The fact is that the hawks may have been bad, but they still had a good core and were coming off a hall of fame coach, it should have been easy to pick a top guy up and not reinvent the wheel. It's a highly viable and sought after position. There are many worse in the league. Even still now... but Bowman. He took a very strange easy decision with a guy that really had no reason to get the job other than Bowman trying to show that he was the smartest guy in the room again. He took an unnecessary gamble on a coach that didn't have the resume to coach for Chicago. Maybe he could have at a lesser team and worked his way up by getting experience, but the Chicago HC position is not a job that you throw at a first time HC. In this town, you can't just coach the team, you have to manage the town, the media, the fans, the expectations and as much of the outside noise as inside noise. It's how a guy like Joe Maddon can go from generational hero to managing another team in about 5 years flat. Just stupid, and then he piled on stupid by giving him a rediculous extension out of no where based on nothing. It's not like college where you have to make sure your guy has a certain number of years on his contract to attract recruits. NHL to an extend is like that for free agency but with JC as the coach it's not going to matter because no one, and I mean absolutely no one, is going to come and sign here just because they are comfortable with him as coach. So why they not only gave him the job but then extended him for no real reason has got to be some bribery pictures level type bullshit and another prime exhibit as to why Stan and ultimately McDick for putting up with Stan because he's a bowman, has to go.

/walloftextsuckit

I agree, but then again, the main priority wasn't hiring a viable coach (unfortunately) -- but rather, the main priority was simply getting Quenneville out the door. Look at it this way: let's say management waited to fire Q until they were able to find a coach of similar caliber. By doing that, they would have been giving Q a chance of perhaps obtaining a winning streak -- and you're not going to fire a coach when he's on a winning streak, obviously. They couldn't afford to wait until the "perfect replacement coach" came along -- that's why Colliton was inserted, at least in my view. Because I really can't buy that Bowman genuinely believed a guy like Colliton -- who has practically no NHL playing experience -- could coach guys who are 3X Cup winners who have been through more in their careers than Colliton could ever dream of as a player.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
...I continue to really like Gilbert, I thought he made some nice defensive plays in the 1st (not sure how he did the remainder of the game though).
Boqvist didn't look good, at least in the 1st. He flat out fell on his own as the Knights rushed up ice, and Gilbert had to bail him out (another good play by him in that period).

Glad I was half-conscious for the rest.
Glad I'm not the only one. I like what I'm seeing from Gilbert. Stays at home, makes generally good decisions, keeps invisible, and will stand up for a teammate.

I'm hoping he ends up staying up once all of our D-men have finally healed. He might not though, unless someone is moved.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Glad I'm not the only one. I like what I'm seeing from Gilbert. Stays at home, makes generally good decisions, keeps invisible, and will stand up for a teammate.

I'm hoping he ends up staying up once all of our D-men have finally healed. He might not though, unless someone is moved.

Yeah, me too -- to me, he's certainly no worse than Guss and Koekkoek; and I'd say he's better than Boqvist at this point. I feel like it's only a matter of time before Guss is moved this year, so maybe he sticks then.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I agree, but then again, the main priority wasn't hiring a viable coach (unfortunately) -- but rather, the main priority was simply getting Quenneville out the door. Look at it this way: let's say management waited to fire Q until they were able to find a coach of similar caliber. By doing that, they would have been giving Q a chance of perhaps obtaining a winning streak -- and you're not going to fire a coach when he's on a winning streak, obviously. They couldn't afford to wait until the "perfect replacement coach" came along -- that's why Colliton was inserted, at least in my view. Because I really can't buy that Bowman genuinely believed a guy like Colliton -- who has practically no NHL playing experience -- could coach guys who are 3X Cup winners who have been through more in their careers than Colliton could ever dream of as a player.
Except you do what every other team in the history of coaching changes does and promote an interim head coach until you find the full time replacement. You don't bring up your minor league coach. And then watch him suck and decide to give him a 3 year extension before he finishes the season. An extension based on who the fuck knows what because he was this inconsistent least year too

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, me too -- to me, he's certainly no worse than Guss and Koekkoek; and I'd say he's better than Boqvist at this point. I feel like it's only a matter of time before Guss is moved this year, so maybe he sticks then.
To be fair to Boqvist...it is his 1st year so even though he's made some rookie mistakes, it's not like it's unexpected--just like Joker last season. I'd prefer it if he stayed in the A but given the state of the team I won't begrudge him a little time at the NHL level to work out some of the kinks now--especially with our defenders getting injured left and right.

Gus...on the other hand, I 100% agree--what little he's brought on O this year nowhere near makes up for his Runblad-esque D. If Montreal wants him...great. Ditto on KK except IO doubt anyone wants him. I think deHaan is the wildcard and how bad his shoulder is. If he gets healthy we both know Bowman the Lesser will Rockford him sooner than they'd pressbox someone else not named KK.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Except you do what every other team in the history of coaching changes does and promote an interim head coach until you find the full time replacement. You don't bring up your minor league coach. And then watch him suck and decide to give him a 3 year extension before he finishes the season. An extension based on who the fuck knows what because he was this inconsistent least year too

Good point. Although, this has always been Bowman's m.o. He loves to sign "his guys," even if they suck and even if they aren't worth it. Frolik is a good example: the guy all but sucked other than one good playoff series he had against Vancouver, and Bowman goes and signs him to a ridiculous contract over Troy Brouwer (a guy who grew in your organization, was physical, won you a Cup, commanded similar dollars, etc.). Why? Because he found Frolik; he was "his guy." Same with Panik. It's like he's got this inferiority complex and needs to double-down on the players/personnel he himself brings in, by signing them before they ever really earn it.

Granada

Liked Posts:
To be fair to Boqvist...it is his 1st year so even though he's made some rookie mistakes, it's not like it's unexpected--just like Joker last season. I'd prefer it if he stayed in the A but given the state of the team I won't begrudge him a little time at the NHL level to work out some of the kinks now--especially with our defenders getting injured left and right.

Gus...on the other hand, I 100% agree--what little he's brought on O this year nowhere near makes up for his Runblad-esque D. If Montreal wants him...great. Ditto on KK except IO doubt anyone wants him. I think deHaan is the wildcard and how bad his shoulder is. If he gets healthy we both know Bowman the Lesser will Rockford him sooner than they'd pressbox someone else not named KK.

Yeah, I'm not saying I've given up on Boqvist or anything, but from what I've seen so far, I actually like Gilbert more than Boqvist -- right now, anyway.

I just don't have a good feeling about our back-end -- I didn't like the de Haan move out of the gate, and the fact he reinjured his surgically-repaired shoulder doesn't make me feel any better about it. Same with Murphy too -- he's healthy now of course, but this guy has a big injury history. And these are supposed to be two long-term plug-ins for the top-four.