Bobby Portis: Making Money off of Bad Teams

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

"A crappy side effect of the NBA’s salary cap is it’s usually better business for your favorite team to have a cheap good player than an expensive one, so you are conditioned to think of cheap contracts for good players as “good” and pricier contracts for comparable players as “bad.” Sticking with that unfair binary, for a moment, it is safe to say Bobby Portis’s agent is not likely to have many admirers among Knicks fans for the deal he just got for his client in New York."

It makes no mention of his devastating right hook though.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This author fails to understand Bobby Portis came into this league a 12.0-16 ppg scorer with 8 rebound tenacity...with a polished mid-range shot he was quickly able to extend to 3-point, even showing some success there as early as Las Vegas summer league weeks after drafting.

Kevin Looney couldn't brush his teeth standing when he was 18-19, was a 2ppg player "DEVELOPED" by the best franchise and worthless to everyone else. Bobby you can plug and play in any basketball system, he is a basketball player and has a variety of skills and instincts.

He was on a rookie deal until now, so I see no issue in him getting a modest contract to go to a bad team. He could have taken less for a contender but his career isn't at that place where he would do that. Good for Bobby...keep on trucking

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Nba and mlb players have done a great job with their cba agreements. A damn good job. Can’t hate on the players they’ve done great for themselves.

I would be more mad at my team for paying big dollars to bums. Don’t draft so damn poorly and you won’t have to invest in bums. Garpax fit in this category

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bobby and Charles Oakley should go to meetings together. I think they would get along too. Tough nosed basketball players.

I thought the Bulls should have kept him around...they have done far worse with similar range draft picks. Bobby's issue with Mirotic was unfortunate, but you can see what kind of a prick Niko was by his shot selection. Only guys who think they are bigger than everyone else and the game take shots like Niko did. He is going back to Barcelona where he felt bigger than the team. Good for Niko...he will be most comfortable there as the Clyde Drexler of Spain and the Jordan of Montenegro.

I feel bad for both of those kids actually...

There are only a couple examples as pertinent to the Bulls...is the lack of progression by both of those guys. They just came to the Bulls and were what the were. They never changed...you could argue they both regressed as Niko ran the floor harder and fought for rebounds harder when he initially came into the league.

The failure to explain to Niko over several years what a bad shot was, blows my fucking mind.

The lack of creativity in shot taking while setting up offensive rebound potentials when you had Niko at the 3 and Bobby at the 4....is also something I don't get.

The Bulls lack the creativity to make anybody adjust to them. You get those 2 and Markenen out there, and you should be letting balls fly but crashing the glass exotically...something...anything original that accentuates the strengths of what they have and puts the opponent in an ackward personel dillemna.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
I'm so glad we weren't the ones ponying up the dough for Portis. While my opinion that we should move on GarPax hasn't changed, I have to give them credit where its due. They managed to turn Portis and an awful signing (Jabari) into Otto Porter.

Really ive been pleased with them since that trade. I honestly don't know what changed but they have been competent here lately. Of course now that i say that they'll go do something stupid.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This author fails to understand Bobby Portis came into this league a 12.0-16 ppg scorer with 8 rebound tenacity...with a polished mid-range shot he was quickly able to extend to 3-point, even showing some success there as early as Las Vegas summer league weeks after drafting.
Dude, just stop. Bobby Portis is nothing more than a replacement level player in this NBA. He's not going to lose you games, but he's also not going to win any games. He's just a guy. A guy that will probably stick around for awhile, but he's just a guy. Stop overvaluing guys just because they were on your favorite team. Bobby may end up being a 25/12 guy this year, but it'll only be because he's on a shitty team, and that was the point of the article.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Dude, just stop. Bobby Portis is nothing more than a replacement level player in this NBA. He's not going to lose you games, but he's also not going to win any games. He's just a guy. A guy that will probably stick around for awhile, but he's just a guy. Stop overvaluing guys just because they were on your favorite team. Bobby may end up being a 25/12 guy this year, but it'll only be because he's on a shitty team, and that was the point of the article.

No, please, allow him to continue, I've always loved that Rask has been a Portis fanboi from the start. It's just one of his very many endearing qualities.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Of course now that i say that they'll go do something stupid.

Literally 6 minutes after i posted this Shams posted that we signed Arci to a 3/9m deal ? I mean i like Arci and wanted to keep him on the roster but locking a 3rd stringer into multiple years at 3m per seems like a misstep.

If the 3rd year has no guarantee i can live with it, but still.

Last edited: