Brandon Marshall -- Lifetime NFL Ban?

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Given the new Domestic Violence policy announcement ...

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11425377/nfl-implements-domestic-violence-penalties

I can't see any way Marshall would not have faced a lifetime ban.

I've been pleased with his maturity, attitude, and leadership while with the Bears. He seems to have really changed his life around.
I'm glad he was given second chances ... several times. I hope he's put those problems behind him, as he seems to have done.

I wonder if a policy of second offense = lifetime ban will always be appropriate. It will be interesting to see this policy interpreted and implemented over the coming years.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
You get paid millions to play a game. MILLIONS. No god damn excuse to be a fuckin idiot at the clubs or beat in your girl. Cut the club and cut the chick. Luckily, b marsh is man enough to see his faults and work through them.

Think bout that next time. Those dudes live a life 98% of us can only dream of. If they are stupid to fuck it up by being pieces of shit, fuck em.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Marshall probably should have been banned for all the things he did. Kudos to him for turning it around but I cringe thinking about him having a relapse and fucking some shit up.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given the new Domestic Violence policy announcement ...

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11425377/nfl-implements-domestic-violence-penalties

I can't see any way Marshall would not have faced a lifetime ban.

I've been pleased with his maturity, attitude, and leadership while with the Bears. He seems to have really changed his life around.
I'm glad he was given second chances ... several times. I hope he's put those problems behind him, as he seems to have done.

I wonder if a policy of second offense = lifetime ban will always be appropriate. It will be interesting to see this policy interpreted and implemented over the coming years.

I don't condone or even understand domestic violence. But are they going to make this a point of emphasis for the duration of the preseason? Will the lifetime bans die down after awhile?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
yeah, the lifetime bans will expire at the end of preseason

Reactions: WCL

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Question is would goddell reinstate him when his wife stabbed him?

best post of this thread.

also is jim johnson here yet? I only read through the above post.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You guys know that Ray Rice's crime doesn't necessarily constitute domestic violence. He wasn't married and it didn't occur in a domicile.

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
You guys know that Ray Rice's crime doesn't necessarily constitute domestic violence. He wasn't married and it didn't occur in a domicile.

Part of the reason I think Marshall would have had a large chance to be banned for life is that one of the points of this policy is ...

-- Policy applies to all incidents involving physical force, not just domestic violence

emaugust

Sort of a big deal...
Liked Posts:

This isn't a domestic violence rule. It's an any violence rule.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This isn't a domestic violence rule. It's an any violence rule.
I feel like it is a good thing to be addressed in a strict manner, but I am not sure I agree with the lifetime ban. I feel like you can rehab a person, like how Vick has been a good dude since going to prison and working his way back onto the field.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if stabbing two people to death would count as 'any violence' under NFL policy.

Reactions: WCL

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I feel like it is a good thing to be addressed in a strict manner, but I am not sure I agree with the lifetime ban. I feel like you can rehab a person, like how Vick has been a good dude since going to prison and working his way back onto the field.

Yeah Vick has been a pretty good dude that used to bash puppies' heads in when he didn't make money off of his bets.

Joker85

Liked Posts:
This is the dumbest rule ever. In fact it will push victims of abuse underground by providing an almost insurmountable financial incentive to keep things quiet.

Lets say you are married to an NFL player and he beats the shit out of you. The two obvious options are to leave him or stay with him, either way this new rule means it is in the self interest of the victim to keep things quiet.

Decide to leave him? Well, if you call 911 and report it, he'll be banned for life and that 20+ million dollars he has on his contract is going out the window, including your half in a divorce settlement.

Decide to stay? Well.... if you call 911 hes out a career, your family is out millions, and regardless of how wrong it is everyone in the family and friends circle will blame you for the gravy train they have been riding ending.

Of course the NFL would have known all this. Which makes it equal parts brilliant and cynical on their part. Why? Because what they really care about is the shield, the image of the league, most of all keeping these stories out of the headlines. They don't really care if their players are beating their wives, they just don't want it constantly making headlines and ruining the image of the league. This new policy will ingeniously accomplish just that. They've now created a situation where wives and girlfriends of players have potentially tens of millions of dollars of motive to stay silent no matter how badly they've been abused. And make no mistake, they'll do just that. Hell, if I had to let someone get away with beating the shit out of me for 10 million dollars I'd do it in a heartbeat.

So once the first player making mega bucks gets a lifetime ban and his family declares bankruptcy, the message will go out loud and clear. "Want to keep living the high life? STFU and protect the shield! What happens in the home should stay in the home..... or else."

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Yeah Vick has been a pretty good dude that used to bash puppies' heads in when he didn't make money off of his bets.
yeah and he went to jail for it. You can be mad at the sentence but he complied with everything our criminal justice system asked of him. He has since been a good person.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
yeah and he went to jail for it. You can be mad at the sentence but he complied with everything our criminal justice system asked of him. He has since been a good person.

I'm sure he's a great guy, there's absolutely no reason to think he might be a psychopath.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
There isn't and never was a "lifetime ban" for anything. Not even today's "changes" implement a lifetime ban.

What they do is create an indefinite suspension, which you can ask to be lifted after one year.

By the logic of some, Josh Gordon is serving a lifetime ban, because it's literally the same thing as this domestic violence "policy"

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
This is the dumbest rule ever. In fact it will push victims of abuse underground by providing an almost insurmountable financial incentive to keep things quiet.

Lets say you are married to an NFL player and he beats the shit out of you. The two obvious options are to leave him or stay with him, either way this new rule means it is in the self interest of the victim to keep things quiet.

Decide to leave him? Well, if you call 911 and report it, he'll be banned for life and that 20+ million dollars he has on his contract is going out the window, including your half in a divorce settlement.

Decide to stay? Well.... if you call 911 hes out a career, your family is out millions, and regardless of how wrong it is everyone in the family and friends circle will blame you for the gravy train they have been riding ending.

Of course the NFL would have known all this. Which makes it equal parts brilliant and cynical on their part. Why? Because what they really care about is the shield, the image of the league, most of all keeping these stories out of the headlines. They don't really care if their players are beating their wives, they just don't want it constantly making headlines and ruining the image of the league. This new policy will ingeniously accomplish just that. They've now created a situation where wives and girlfriends of players have potentially tens of millions of dollars of motive to stay silent no matter how badly they've been abused. And make no mistake, they'll do just that. Hell, if I had to let someone get away with beating the shit out of me for 10 million dollars I'd do it in a heartbeat.

So once the first player making mega bucks gets a lifetime ban and his family declares bankruptcy, the message will go out loud and clear. "Want to keep living the high life? STFU and protect the shield! What happens in the home should stay in the home..... or else."

A little cynical, but I supposed I can see the potential for this happening.

But here's my question ...
Doesn't this happen all the time anyway?
And sure, the incentive here is a lot higher, but it's not like there aren't plenty of cases where women (and men as well) get knocked around because they can't afford to give up the $50 a week worth of heroin or coke they are getting out of it?
It's not right either way, but I don't think the NFL has a monopoly on this kind of dilemma and how to deal with it.