Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I honestly don't get why people care. You're talking about billionaires stiffing potential millionaires and people get mad at the millionaires. At the end of the day players should be fighting for ever damn dollar they can get because it's ultimately them that is the product. Owners frankly contributed nothing but seed money as it were but without the players there are no games.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Laughable that players think that $20-30M/yr contracts are unfair. Given that Bryant has no other marketable skills, he should be happy for what baseball will give him

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rustrated-unsigned-bryce-harper-manny-machado

You're right. A guy with essentially 1 in a million talent that tens of thousands of people every day pay money to see displayed across the league and networks pay billions a year to broadcast is watching a personal friend whom he considers a top player in the league go 4 to 6 weeks longer than expected so far from being signed and it's becoming apparent that the years and total dollars of generational, life altering contracts might not be coming and then realizing he'll be in that same boat soon should just shut up and be happy with what he's got.

I understand that the bubble has popped and the market is correcting itself. that doesn't mean the people who know their house is going to market soon don't get to be worried. Maybe this will make him look at the Altuve deal and go to management for one of his own. Chances are Machado and Harper don't sign until after the Super Bowl. Maybe one of them signs next week.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I honestly don't get why people care. You're talking about billionaires stiffing potential millionaires and people get mad at the millionaires. At the end of the day players should be fighting for ever damn dollar they can get because it's ultimately them that is the product. Owners frankly contributed nothing but seed money as it were but without the players there are no games.
They should fight for the dollars. It's the whining and entitlement that pisses people off

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Makes you wonder how many years that 200 million offer to Bryant was for?

DanTown

Liked Posts:
They should fight for the dollars. It's the whining and entitlement that pisses people off

What's Kris Bryant supposed to do? He was forced to join the union and play by MLB's set of rules for rookie contracts + service time that he himself could not negotiate for a better price even though he's highly worth it. The guy won the FREAKING MVP AWARD and the next year he was paid the 527th most cash in the league with his contract at just over $1 million dollars. The system is designed to severely fuck over players in a way that is uncommon to any other league. Players don't have a chance at UFA until most are in their late 20s (that's why Harper/Machado and at the time Heyward are so rare) while having to spend 1-3 years (at minimum) in the minor leagues and then they get three or four years at earning a million or less (in most cases) for three-four years. Then they get three more years of arbitration (where it's a meritocracy with no guarantees beyond the year) and THEN players get to be FA where they can earn the life changing amount of money that they frankly deserved years prior but teams are rightfully not paying out major contracts to those players anymore.

And don't forget Bryant was a guy who was fucked by service time where because the Cubs kept him in the minors for two weeks, he loses an entire year of FA.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
What's Kris Bryant supposed to do? He was forced to join the union and play by MLB's set of rules for rookie contracts + service time that he himself could not negotiate for a better price even though he's highly worth it. The guy won the FREAKING MVP AWARD and the next year he was paid the 527th most cash in the league with his contract at just over $1 million dollars. The system is designed to severely fuck over players in a way that is uncommon to any other league. Players don't have a chance at UFA until most are in their late 20s (that's why Harper/Machado and at the time Heyward are so rare) while having to spend 1-3 years (at minimum) in the minor leagues and then they get three or four years at earning a million or less (in most cases) for three-four years. Then they get three more years of arbitration (where it's a meritocracy with no guarantees beyond the year) and THEN players get to be FA where they can earn the life changing amount of money that they frankly deserved years prior but teams are rightfully not paying out major contracts to those players anymore.

And don't forget Bryant was a guy who was fucked by service time where because the Cubs kept him in the minors for two weeks, he loses an entire year of FA.
Severly fucked over? LOLOLO. You should join the Lebron the $25M per year slaves

SchwarberRuth

Liked Posts:
I agree. Cubs screwed this guy out of entire year because of bs rules the players probably negotiated poorly. He just turned down a windfall and then got injured. His value took a serious hit unless he has a monster bounce back year. He wasn’t even mentioned in top 6-7 third baseman on mlb channel a few days ago, ouch. He just got 12 million dollar contract which was on pace for 20 million prior to 2018. I’d be really concerned if I was Bryant between the Cubs late bs callup and not signing the extension he has probably cost himself 30 million dollars. These guys only appear to have value until age 32 to these teams now and they are under team friendly contracts for 6 years. Gives them in most cases a 4-5 year window to get paid. Players are really getting screwed, strike is coming

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I agree. Cubs screwed this guy out of entire year because of bs rules the players probably negotiated poorly. He just turned down a windfall and then got injured. His value took a serious hit unless he has a monster bounce back year. He wasn’t even mentioned in top 6-7 third baseman on mlb channel a few days ago, ouch. He just got 12 million dollar contract which was on pace for 20 million prior to 2018. I’d be really concerned if I was Bryant between the Cubs late bs callup and not signing the extension he has probably cost himself 30 million dollars. These guys only appear to have value until age 32 to these teams now and they are under team friendly contracts for 6 years. Gives them in most cases a 4-5 year window to get paid. Players are really getting screwed, strike is coming
Strike until they start missing paychecks. The more money they make, the less unity

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Of course Kris Bryant wants to see Harper and Machado make $30 million. What do you think he's going to be looking for?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
1000 MLB players arnt going to strike because a few rookie lost eligibility time

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1000 MLB players arnt going to strike because a few rookie lost eligibility time

Oh, they're gonna strike. I hope they do and I hope MLB has the sense to blow it all up. But they won't....so it will go long. I didn't miss them last strike and I won't miss them a bit this one either. The thing is....if you really love the game then you don't need all the financial bullshit that clogs up forums like this one on a daily basis. You can find the game in a lot of places at a far more affordable price. The game never really changes....it's the greed that's inbred in most of humanity that spoils it.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Strike until they miss a few 500k paychecks

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The players need to realize that this "soft cap" is needed in order to keep baseball competitive and give small market teams a chance to build a team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't shock me if the owners pull if you want the service clock starter mechanic to be removed and time counts as a whole then we want a hard cap

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'll agree that the whole scam on gaining a extra year of control is crap. But they need a hard cap to keep the game competitive. Be it 225 that is fine and have tax on going over the MLB avg. That allows for a more equal environment in the sport.

It is getting to the point that you have a big market then you win or you have to tank like the Astroes for years. That has become the norm and that is bad for the sport.

This is not like the NBA or THE NFL where you see a instant reward for a tank. It becomes a planned out objective.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Unions only can wield power when they are fully united. Workers are united when their income is at subsistence to moderate levels and conditions are unbearable. When you get guys making up to 25M/year and live the life of a King, it's impossible to hold a singular and committed conviction. When faced with losing $5m, $15m or $25m unity will fold

Verlander's wife is going to say to him: "why do you care that Bryant got hosed on eligibility, he will get his money soon enough".

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm also thinking there should be a set min also which benefits the players. A team falls under the threshold they pay penalty.

IMO if a ownership group can not fund a MLB team at a adaquate payroll then MLB needs to step in and dig into the situation and find legit answers. Be it moving to a large market or out of country market. Take TB and Mia. Both teams have absorbed tax and can not fund a team over 100M. Is it the fault of the larger markets? No so IMO a move to Mexico City or making the next Brooklyn team may be a smarter long term decision as that would promote larger payrolls which benefits the players.

So it is a complex situation that could play out but there are a few ways of approaching it. At the end of the day it is a competitive sport that is unbalanced