Bushrod developing skillset

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/06/08/2537381/dan-pompei-left-tackle-bushrod.html

Dan Pompei: Left tackle Bushrod working to develop Pro Bowl skill set to fullest

By DAN POMPEI — Chicago Tribune

CHICAGO — In spring 2007, Jermon Bushrod was the 19th offensive lineman chosen in the NFL draft.

Among those chosen ahead of him were offensive tackle Tony Ugoh, guard Arron Sears, tackle James Marten, guard Andy Alleman and center Leroy Harris.

The Bears took guard Josh Beekman five picks after Bushrod.

There was no apparent reason to take Bushrod higher than 125 overall. He had not been tested consistently against top competition at Towson. He was considered a bit raw and he didn't have the kind of leg drive and base NFL scouts want.

In spring 2013, Bushrod is a two-time Pro Bowler and the potential solution for the Bears' problems at left tackle.

What happened between 2007 and 2013 does not happen very often in the NFL. With the help of the Saints' effective organizational plan and solid coaching, Bushrod developed and matured into a fine NFL player.

This is how it happened.

The Saints didn't have immediate expectations.

They, however, did have a strategy to turn Bushrod into an eventual starter.

He barely played his first two years and never made a start. That was OK because during that time he worked on technique and developed confidence.

In training camp of his third season, starting left tackle Jammal Brown was injured and Bushrod was thrown in with the first string in a scrimmage against the Texans. Lined up across from him was Mario Williams, the first overall pick in the 2006 draft.

And just like that, Bushrod looked like an NFL tackle. Saints coach Sean Payton said his learning curve spiked when opportunity came. He became a starter that year.

"Coaches were very patient with me," Bushrod said. "They understood I wasn't going to be ready the first year. Even now I'm trying to get my technique as sound as I can, do all the little things, staying on top of it. If I don't do that, I won't have a job. I want to stick around as long as I can, so I have to get better every single day. It's not about making a night-and-day change. It's about working hard on something small every chance you get."

Bushrod's body developed.

In the last six years, with the help of professional strength programs, he went from being a 23-year old smallish college kid to a 28-year-old NFL man.

"He definitely has worked on his lower body strength," said Bears offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer, who oversaw Bushrod's development as the Saints' offensive line coach.

"My body is starting to be, I don't want to say, more like an NFL lineman, but I'm feeling good and strong," Bushrod said. "I've worked on getting a stronger lower body every year."

His strength has become more functional because he has learned how to use it too.

"I'm honing in on techniques because a lot of days you are playing against guys who are five times more athletic than you are," he said. "So you have to do the little things - balance, feet, leverage."

Bushrod was a square peg in a square hole in the Saints' system.

They drafted him in part because they identified a specific skill set that matched their blocking scheme. It's the same blocking scheme the Bears will use this season.

"I would agree that this system is good for him," Kromer said. "He had extremely quick feet, which were important."

Kromer utilized Bushrod within the system. He used those quick feet, for instance, to get Bushrod on defenders quickly. He saw Bushrod was adeptkeeping defenders' hands off him, so he worked hard to make that skill stand out.

He also didn't ask Bushrod to do more than he was capable of.

"Every player is his own player," Kromer said. "You need to find out what do well that you can accentuate. Then find out a way to cover up what they don't do well. If you try to treat everybody the same, you'll get nothing out of anyone."

Bushrod willed himself into an NFL player.

This may be the most significant piece of his development. He set goals and was industrious in figuring out how to achieve them.

"If you are a smart player like he is, you learn and you understand your limitations, what you can and cannot do," Kromer said.

Payton also pointed to Bushrod's intelligence and other intangibles.

"He's a great worker," Payton said. "He's consistent. He's available. Week in, week out, he's playing. As a coach, when you know what you have in a player, his exact strengths and weaknesses, that's a good thing. He epitomizes what we want as far as football IQ, toughness and not being afraid to work."

Bushrod approaches his job like the fourth-round pick from Towson he once was. That is, he takes nothing for granted.

"I know what I struggle with sometimes, and I know I have to work on it," Bushrod said.

Bushrod never has stopped realizing where he came from and how he got to where he is.

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/06/08/2537381/dan-pompei-left-tackle-bushrod.html#storylink=cpy

strockrocks

Liked Posts:

He barely played his first two years and never made a start. That was OK because during that time he worked on technique and developed confidence.

Oh, is this what good teams do; actually develop players? What a concept. I knew we were missing something the last decade.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts

Oh, is this what good teams do; actually develop players? What a concept. I knew we were missing something the last decade.

If we had done the same....would Josh Beekman be a starting Pro Bowl linesman for the Bears?! Stroke beard and ponder..........

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't imagine what kind of grief Bushrod would have got in Chicago if he was asked to start in his 1st year. I really like this regime's ideas about Oline.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If we had done the same....would Josh Beekman be a starting Pro Bowl linesman for the Bears?! Stroke beard and ponder..........

Sensing the amount of sarcasm in this post...

strockrocks

Liked Posts:
"Every player is his own player," Kromer said. "You need to find out what do well that you can accentuate. Then find out a way to cover up what they don't do well. If you try to treat everybody the same, you'll get nothing out of anyone."

I like hearing that, too. I'm pretty sure Tice treated everybody the same and just mixed and matched depending on the day. I wish I knew how Kromer feels about our line so far. I could see him watching tape of last year and thinking, "WTF???" ha ha..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Kromer love shows he is in his honeymoon period.

I hope Bushrod is a huge upgrade. I am skeptical, but cautiously optimistic.

Overall, I am confident the O-Line will be improved quite a bit - at least by midseason. But the talk here sometimes takes the approach that all past coaches are idiots and all new coaches work magic. The contrast is not that stark. Tice was considered a good o line coach too. (A disaster as OC, obviously. But he was said to be a premier O line coach)

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Really interesting read. Also makes me wonder what might have been if a guy like Webb had time to mature before being tossed out there. I guess we'll never know.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Then again, I am overly optimistic in expecting Carimi to show he is recovered from injury and play like a real NFL lineman, so disappointment is likely there.

And I am hoping for / expecting big things from Long almost immediately, so that's expecting too much.

So Bushrod shouldn't be my biggest worry. :)

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Really interesting read. Also makes me wonder what might have been if a guy like Webb had time to mature before being tossed out there. I guess we'll never know.
Difference is Bushrod is known to have a high football IQ. Not an area in which Webb excels. Plus the distractions of getting busted for weed, tweeting for free tacos, auctioning smell shoes, starting your own fan club, and making creepy suggestive videos lying shirtless on a couch doesn't suggest a single minded desire to be all you can be.

F Rodgers

Liked Posts:
Difference is Bushrod is known to have a high football IQ. Not an area in which Webb excels. Plus the distractions of getting busted for weed, tweeting for free tacos, auctioning smell shoes, starting your own fan club, and making creepy suggestive videos lying shirtless on a couch doesn't suggest a single minded desire to be all you can be.
I lol'ed

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Now tell us how you really feel

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Now tell us how you really feel
Kinda of like he needs someone to do this:

wake-up-o.gif

Liked Posts:

Yep. The first thing that came to my mind when reading the article was Mills & how crucial having a year or more to develop a player could be as an end result. I'd love for the coaching staff to be able to afford to tuck Mills & other young players from the draft, away for at least a year & let the kid hone in on his skillset & build up some confidence to play well at the pro level.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

camera girl: "so how does if feel when you run out on the field with your teammates and the crowd is going crazy"
Webb: "feels like work"

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
camera girl: "so how does if feel when you run out on the field with your teammates and the crowd is going crazy"
Webb: "feels like work"

That made me go nuts too. I know it's a job and all, but he plays like it's work. The minute he plays like it's a game, it's fun, and he enjoys it is when we will actually see him do his job.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That made me go nuts too. I know it's a job and all, but he plays like it's work. The minute he plays like it's a game, it's fun, and he enjoys it is when we will actually see him do his job.

its not even what he said, but how he accentuated it with the way he said it. It might be work, but its a damn good job with good pay. Shows extreme immaturity. He really dragged as he said it, like. "ahhhhh fuckk....I gotttaaa gooo to wooorkkk" like Eore the donkey. Like I am cleaning trash at the movie theatre, or siting ina a cubicle for 12 hours.

fuck him

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you put it like that it makes me wish they traded him instead of Carimi.